Skipping to Crystal over Food

I just looked, and there are no "Inside" cabins on that 14 day out of NY in October. The lowest is Oceanview and it's $4009 at one agent I looked at or $4105 direct on their website.

That room is also 202 sq-ft.

The $944 price for RCI is for an inside guarantee (can't even pick your room) and is only 160 sq-ft. You'd have to go up to a spacious ocean view balcony to get the same size room (204 sq-ft) although you would have a balcony. That would be $1829.

So, Crystal comes out to ~$286/pp/day

RCI to be equivalent is ~$152/pp/day in fare plus $55/pp/day in drinks plus $24/pp/day for ultimate dining package plus $14.50/pp/day in grats on the room and another $14/pp/day in the packages. That's ~$259/pp/day.

Not quite so drastic of a difference now is it?

EDIT: I forgot to add in cost of WiFi to the RCI price and cost of fitness programs like yoga classes and the like, but I don't know their cost. Let's just call it even for an 'sales' you find on packages.

Ok... won't argue your point. So I looked again. Might be the website I'm using but the Oct. 28 sailing of Crystal Symphony for an oceanview cabin is $5009 per person plus port charges. That's $358 per day per person. An oceanview on Serenade is $857 per person plus port charges. That's $61 per day. Add $55 per day for drink package you're at $116per day. Add $24 per day for specialty dining and you're at $140 per day. Another $14.50 and you're at $154.50. Add $14 per day an your at $168.50 per day. So, the difference is $189.50 per person per day or a total of $5306 per 14 nights for 2.

To be honest, your point is very valid. HOWEVER the title of the OP's thread is "Skipping to Crystal Over Food." So, it appears the OP's only real reason for changing is for better food.

But again, I get your point. We are doing a long Regent cruise in the fall. It is expensive, but after trying to piece the itinerary together on RCI, HAL, etc. it wasn't much of a difference when you add all the additional included items. BUT, we sure aren't doing it for better food, but have to admit I'm looking forward to that very thing. :)

I have been on Crystal once many years ago on the Harmony to Alaska, I had a suite booked on Celebrity when my agent called me about a great deal on Crystal it was I think one day longer we had an outside cabin but no Balcony.

Price was about the same, the difference was night and day all along the line. Like going to a Lexus dealership for service vs a Ford dealership. Crystal had someone meet us at the gate when our plane arrived and took us down to baggage claim to get our luggage picked up and they had porters with carts to take our bags to the bus. Somehow my suitcase did not make the flight from Denver. The Crystal person spoke with the United folks and they had put my bag on the next flight which was about an hour after ours. they stayed with us at baggage claim until my bag arrived then made sure there was a bus to take us to the ship.

Happy hour with appetizers before dinner the waiters knew the food I liked or didn't after the first couple of nights and always brought me more of what I liked or they thought I would like and never even walked by me with bacon wrapped liver!

Drinks order once and the bartender knew your drink the next day.

Now this was a while ago so Crystal may have changed. But just like I will splurge on a rental car now and then I always look for a great deal on Crystal or any of the higher end ships.

It's still like this, the staff have an awesome memory and really care. They will also go above and beyond for service, read my VISA thread on this form.

Long story short I used Crystal's preferred vendor to get Brazil Visa. They couldn't get it done in time due to issues with DC Consulate. So a Crystal rep flew from Florida to DC Brazilian Consulate, picked up our Passports, flew back to Florida met us at the port, so we can get on with our passports, then he flew to Argentina's Brazil Consulate, got the Visa and Flew to the entry port in Brazil to meet the ship and give us our Brazil Visa.

That's customer service. RC would have probably just refunded us, or not refunded and told us too bad so sad. Don't know which.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

This is what I think people constantly forget about in their discussions about "specialty" restaurants. They always compare the cover charge to a land based restaurant, yet they ALWAYS forget that they've already paid for food in their fare.

Not always true- for example we went to a good steak house in NY last night and the bill-one person had a drink- no coffee- came to well over $100 PP- so yes you pay for food and always have that option on a cruise ship-but I think of specialty restaurants as an upgrade and therefore an upcharge is paid. I wouldn't pay for mcdonalds- but would pay additional for a good steak or something else special. We budget specialty restaurants into our cruise expenses-

Not always true- for example we went to a good steak house in NY last night and the bill-one person had a drink- no coffee- came to well over $100 PP- so yes you pay for food and always have that option on a cruise ship-but I think of specialty restaurants as an upgrade and therefore an upcharge is paid. I wouldn't pay for mcdonalds- but would pay additional for a good steak or something else special. We budget specialty restaurants into our cruise expenses-

I bet you that $100 pp Steak in NY was a lot better than Chops which is comparable to chain steak houses.

Agreed. And it should also be noted that you can often get specialty dining packages that greatly reduce the cover charge price, too. I can't imagine Crystal serving much better or different food than mass market specialty restaurants. We sailed NCL recently and did a ton of specialty dining and it was all very, very fresh and high quality.

I would think if someone finds food to be so important, they should just book specialty restaurants. It would be much cheaper than sailing a luxury line simply because you want better food!

I bet you that $100 pp Steak in NY was a lot better than Chops which is comparable to chain steak houses.

Without a doubt! but you cannot beat most NY restaurants- We do not cruise for the food- as we would always be disappointed, even though we do watch what we eat carefully, I still manage to gain weight with each cruise and diet when I return home.

I just looked, and there are no "Inside" cabins on that 14 day out of NY in October. The lowest is Oceanview and it's $4009 at one agent I looked at or $4105 direct on their website.

That room is also 202 sq-ft.

The $944 price for RCI is for an inside guarantee (can't even pick your room) and is only 160 sq-ft. You'd have to go up to a spacious ocean view balcony to get the same size room (204 sq-ft) although you would have a balcony. That would be $1829.

So, Crystal comes out to ~$286/pp/day

RCI to be equivalent is ~$152/pp/day in fare plus $55/pp/day in drinks plus $24/pp/day for ultimate dining package plus $14.50/pp/day in grats on the room and another $14/pp/day in the packages. That's ~$259/pp/day.

Not quite so drastic of a difference now is it?

EDIT: I forgot to add in cost of WiFi to the RCI price and cost of fitness programs like yoga classes and the like, but I don't know their cost. Let's just call it even for an 'sales' you find on packages.

Cruises and Balcony cabins I take rather be on 3 Royal cruises for 33 nites(B2B2B) in same Aft/Corner Radiance Class cabin 9256 rather then pay same price on one Crystal Cruise balcony cabin for less then 1/3 the nites. Though does inc my Diamond+ discounts... I'll take the month over little over a week...

Edited by ONECRUISER

I have mostly done Royal cruises and one Celebrity as a mum and head cook and bottle washer I am just pleased that someone else prepares, cooks and clears up I haven't had an issue with any of the food on my trips but if i get something and dont like it i ask for something else . Food isn't really an issue for me i choose by itinerary . Hope you have a great cruise whoever you choose to go with x

Well said, couldn't agree more.

...yet they ALWAYS forget that they've already paid for food in their fare.

That’s why we should go back to the way cruising used to be. NO specialty restaurants, only ONE MDR with no flexible hours, one buffet, and a short room service list, all included in the price, while charging cruise fares that are 2-3 times more than what we pay today. Maybe that way all these conversations about specialty restaurants and how the cruise lines are “nickel and diming” us will go away.

I started cruising 35+ years ago aboard Cunard. I will take the dining choices that I have today ANY DAY over what was available back then. Yes, include the basic MDR and buffet on the standard fare, keep prices low, and give me the choice to upgrade and pay for the dining experience that I actually want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You do that, but I just got a brochure from Crystal and we can't afford that expensive a difference just for food!

Their same 7 day cruise is $15k for 2 while we suffer with inferior food for $1900...quite a difference...but I think we'll take the cheap food........:confused:

You do that, but I just got a brochure from Crystal and we can't afford that expensive a difference just for food!

Their same 7 day cruise is $15k for 2 while we suffer with inferior food for $1900...quite a difference...but I think we'll take the cheap food........:confused:

(y)

That’s why we should go back to the way cruising used to be. NO specialty restaurants, only ONE MDR with no flexible hours, one buffet, and a short room service list, all included in the price, while charging cruise fares that are 2-3 times more than what we pay today. Maybe that way all these conversations about specialty restaurants and how the cruise lines are “nickel and diming” us will go away.

I started cruising 35+ years ago aboard Cunard. I will take the dining choices that I have today ANY DAY over what was available back then. Yes, include the basic MDR and buffet on the standard fare, keep prices low, and give me the choice to upgrade and pay for the dining experience that I actually want.

I don't think anyone is asking for nothing but MDR and Buffet. My first cruise was 10 years ago, so no not 35 years ... but the ship had multiple dinning venues included in the fare. At least five that I can remember. And the room service (which was also included) was no smaller of a menu than we have now. The fares were also a lot cheaper, we got a balcony for what we pay for an inside now.

The point I was making, and which still stands, is you can't take a specialty dinning price at face value to use as a comparison.

People say Chops at $50/pp is comparable to a land restaurant. But in truth you are paying $50 plus a portion of your cruise fare. And a land restaurant that's charging $50+/pp for a steak dinner is going to be a hell of a lot better than Chops.

I don't think anyone is asking for nothing but MDR and Buffet. My first cruise was 10 years ago, so no not 35 years ... but the ship had multiple dinning venues included in the fare. At least five that I can remember. And the room service (which was also included) was no smaller of a menu than we have now. The fares were also a lot cheaper, we got a balcony for what we pay for an inside now.

The point I was making, and which still stands, is you can't take a specialty dinning price at face value to use as a comparison.

People say Chops at $50/pp is comparable to a land restaurant. But in truth you are paying $50 plus a portion of your cruise fare. And a land restaurant that's charging $50+/pp for a steak dinner is going to be a hell of a lot better than Chops.

I wouldn't pay $50 for Chops, either. You can get lunch at Chops for $20. I haven't done the dining package on Royal, but the package is $168 and includes specialty dining every night and specialty lunch on sea days. So 9 specialty dining reservations for about $19/ea. That's a far cry from $50.

That said, we get spoiled with the low cost of cruising. $50 would buy you a piece steak and no sides at a Caribbean resort. So the pricing, even at $50, isn't "that" bad considering how expensive it is to eat at nice restaurants in the Caribbean. We were spending $200 - $300, dinner for two, at Atlantis recently. Specialty dining under $20, it's a steal.

Depending on the ship, Chop's is in the range of $40-$49 per person. Keep in mind the fare for the SR, in addition to an entree, includes multiple appetizers & desserts that one can consume, and coffee/tea where on land a decent restaurant will charge you $5+.

Many interesting responses so far:

• most (all?) the negative responses are those who have zero experience on even at least one sailing on a luxury brand.
  • not a single negative response from those with experience. You'd figure at least one would comment that it's a rip off, not worth it, too overpriced. Not one.

A year ago I would have been one of the first sentences... a negative responder with no experience.

I was ignorant ... I know better now and it's not just about the food.

You can take me with a grain of salt, however expand my signature and read all my RCL reviews which are all pro Royal. I also have my Oceania review there with comments comparing to RCL in many ways. I'll also repeat one of my previous posts, it doesn't permanently take me away from sailing on Royal, however certainly educates me to a much higher quality cruise vacation for not much more money depending on the circumstances (ie. itinerary, travelling solo vs. a couple, incl items like airfare/grats/internet/specialty dining/room service/ etc etc).

OP wants steak and potatoes. Good steak and potatoes have mainly disappeared from the mass market lines, even with specialty dining. If each line added a good steak and potato option (even with an up charge) in the always available menu, then most arguments over food would disappear; the other options seem to be represented.

The luxury lines would still sell, we like the smaller ship that sees different ports and allows for quick on and off which saves at least 1 hour in every port.

We've only eaten in one specialty restaurant in all of our cruises and it was the Italian place on NCL. Paid $15pp for it. The meal that we had would have cost about $50 in one of our favorite Italian restaurants at home. The apps and dessert were great, the entrée was so-so. The chicken parm was excellent, but the spaghetti side was atrocious. The noodles reminded me of canned noodles because they were so overcooked and the sauce was reminiscent of tomato soup. Our subsequent cruise was on CCL and we had the same dish served in the MDR and it was better than what we paid for on NCL. We don't put a lot of stock in specialty restaurants.

I've paid $30 in specialty dining in 6 cruise. That's once at Johnny Rockets @ $5, and twice at the Bistro on Celebrity, also $5. Sometimes a slight uptick for lunch goes a long ways, but that's all I'm willing to do.

How much do you think the ship spends per passenger per day for the included food options?

Go ahead.

Guess.

I'll wait.

How much?

It's about twelve and a half dollars. For all food.

So, it's not the big difference you imply.

14 Night Crystal Cruise in Oct. to Caribbean out of New York, $5009 per person for an Inside Cabin.

12 Night Royal Caribbean cruise in Oct. to the Caribbean out of Boston, $944 per person for an Inside Cabin.

Better be REALLY GOOD FOOD for the $8000 difference in price.

No such thing as an "inside cabin" on Crystal so calling YOUR bluff. People don't knock it till you try it. Imagine not paying for specialty dining, room service free, specialty coffees and ice cream all included. It is a real vacation not a $999 cruise with thousands of dollars of add ons. We went from Princess to Crystal. Then again you guys are all experts on this luxury bashing you have never tried.

No such thing as an "inside cabin" on Crystal so calling YOUR bluff. People don't knock it till you try it. Imagine not paying for specialty dining, room service free, specialty coffees and ice cream all included. It is a real vacation not a $999 cruise with thousands of dollars of add ons. We went from Princess to Crystal. Then again you guys are all experts on this luxury bashing you have never tried.

Many of us have spent lots of dollars on vacations. I am currently booking a room for three nights at $1000 a night. Please don’t pity us because we don’t choose to spend our vacation with a bunch of people in hover rounds.

Seriously, RCI sailors are a diverse group. Just as are the people sailing Crystal. We are not cookie cutter.

I am still waiting for the first flowrider on a Crystal ship, I am pretty certain I will be dead way before that happens. The activities are important too.

JC

I've paid $30 in specialty dining in 6 cruise. That's once at Johnny Rockets @ $5, and twice at the Bistro on Celebrity, also $5. Sometimes a slight uptick for lunch goes a long ways, but that's all I'm willing to do.

I am diamond plus on RCI and I have never spent a dollar at Johnny Rockets. I have enjoyed there made to order breakfast for free on the Oasis.......

Have I mentioned.... that singling out a single thing that costs money doesn’t prove anything about the bottom line...:rolleyes::halo:

JC

I am diamond plus on RCI and I have never spent a dollar at Johnny Rockets. I have enjoyed there made to order breakfast for free on the Oasis.......

Have I mentioned.... that singling out a single thing that costs money doesn’t prove anything about the bottom line...:rolleyes::halo:

JC

What bottom line are you referring to? My average is $5 spent on specialty dining per cruise, per couple. You'll just have to trust me on that one, because I'm not about to post the closing statements. :confused:;p