How to convince my wife?

drsel

I love cruising and i know that cruises can be great value, especially if you spot the right deals.

But how to convince my wife? She thinks that I am spending too much time and money on cruises. She wants me to stop cruising and invest the money in property instead. Help! Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I love cruising and i know that cruises can be great value, especially if you spot the right deals.

But how to convince my wife? She thinks that I am spending too much time and money on cruises. She wants me to stop cruising and invest the money in property instead. Help! Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Listen to your wife.

Cruises are not investments. They are vacations. The two are not the same, at least in my thinking.

Would your wife prefer to buy a condo or cabin somewhere? Both of those require upkeep, ongoing maintanence, and wanting to spend time at the same place year after year. You also have to buy and cook your meals, and figure out your entertainment. (I am totally not knocking this. I'm just pointing it out.)

Cruising requires you to pay for a cabin aboard a ship. Meals are provided just about 24 hours a day, or close enough to it. Entertainment is provided - you just have to find a seat. The scenery changes constantly. At the end of your trip, you tip the crew, disembark, and let the cruise company handle all of the maintenance.

Cruise vs cabin or condo -- both basically vacations, but cruising requires less work.

Listen to your wife

Or,,,,,

In a few years you’ll be giving her the current home, half your current investments, half your retirement for her and her new man to reinvest

Haha, this would frighten any young man away from marriage! If this is widely publicized, no man will EVER want to marry.

I never even thought of this (probably wasn't aware if it either), when I fell in love and got married!

Edited by drsel

Cruises are not investments. They are vacations. The two are not the same' date=' at least in my thinking.

Would your wife prefer to buy a condo or cabin somewhere? Both of those require upkeep, ongoing maintanence, and wanting to spend time at the same place year after year. You also have to buy and cook your meals, and figure out your entertainment. (I am totally not knocking this. I'm just pointing it out.)

Cruising requires you to pay for a cabin aboard a ship. Meals are provided just about 24 hours a day, or close enough to it. Entertainment is provided - you just have to find a seat. The scenery changes constantly. At the end of your trip, you tip the crew, disembark, and let the cruise company handle all of the maintenance.

Cruise vs cabin or condo -- both basically vacations, but cruising requires less work.[/quote']She wants me to invest in a property as a fixed asset, which generates rental income from tenants. Not buy a cabin or condo for vacations.

She wants me to invest in a property as a fixed asset, which generates rental income from tenants. Not buy a cabin or condo for vacations.

If it’s a good investment that generates income then couldn’t you use that income to go on cruises? Maybe you won’t be able to go on as many and maybe you will have to watch for sales, but maybe it would be doable. Just a thought.

If it’s a good investment that generates income then couldn’t you use that income to go on cruises? Maybe you won’t be able to go on as many and maybe you will have to watch for sales, but maybe it would be doable. Just a thought.
I will also have to take a huge housing loan/mortgage to buy the property and be in huge debt for the next 20 years. A sure way to live poor and die rich!

The rental income is only 1/4 of the monthly payment on the loan. So no money left for any holidays, leave alone expensive cruises.

I will also have to take a huge housing loan/mortgage to buy the property and be in huge debt for the next 20 years. A sure way to live poor and die rich!

The rental income is only 1/4 of the monthly payment on the loan. So no money left for any holidays, leave alone expensive cruises.

Hmmm.....do you have a financial advisor or an investment manager? If not, it is probably time for you and your wife to talk things over with the financial advisor/investment manager instead of us here on CC. That person would be able to lay things out objectively so that both you and your wife would be able to see if buying this property and financing it for twenty years fits into your financial planning long term goals. This way it becomes a business decision rather than an emotional decision.

When you marry, both of you must compromise....you think about your wife first, she thinks about you first...and things will work out better that way. Marriage is a partnership, not a competition. You do what's best for the both of you...not just yourself.

Save your money until you can either cruise or buy property fairly debt-free....if you can't make money from your investment, it's not a good investment!

You can't take it with you as I always say....

But in all seriousness...my husband and I have discussed taking out a second mortgage on another property to supplement our income as our current one will be paid off when we get to our mid forties. This means we will be able to do more things we want later in life or our retirement (we are millenials so pensions will be rubbish)

Could you compromise and do one year cruise one year save etc? Or do short cruise breaks? Normally I would be on the cruise side of the fence but property investment will allow you do have extra income to cruise later on. However, you probably need to find a better property deal and not the one you mentioned.

In the UK, it is quite easy to make the rent more than the mortgage repayments based on multi occupancy laws.It is also the reason for property problems in this country.

The rental income is only 1/4 of the monthly payment on the loan.

Woah woah woah...If you're buying property with intent to rent, you're doing something very wrong if your rental income is only 1/4 of your payment on a 20 year mortgage.

Sounds like you and your wife need to figure out what you want and talk to a financial advisor because I understand building equity over cruising, I don't understand financing property to rent out at a loss. 1/4 of payment isnt even breaking even on interest! Bad investment.

Edited by GSOTall1

That is not an investment, that is a money hole.

Why would someone "invest" in a losing investment?

Unless property values are going up VERY fast in the area you will purchase.

You didn't say, so I'd like to know. Do you go on cruises by yourself, or does your wife go with you? If she goes with you, then apparently she hasn't gotten addicted to cruising like you have. If she's never been on a cruise, then see if you can get her to go on one, and let her choose or at least have some input on when to go, which ship and which itinerary. How interested are you in investing in some property? If it's of little or no interest to you, have you expressed this to your wife? Sounds like you both need to weigh the pros and cons of investing in a rental property. It's a big commitment. You said the rent would only be 1/4 of the monthly mortgage payment. That alone would stop me from considering that property. Who will handle all of the maintenance of the property? Sounds like you two have a lot to work out before making a decision that could ultimately ruin your marriage.