What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

Yes and still am. I booked this end of may if that matters. Two people. Other variables ?

Well, if you were both in the same original category and both bid on the same upgrade category on the same sailing, I really can't guess at what other variables factored into the process. Number of people wouldn't matter, I wouldn't think, since all upgrades are only charged to the first to occupants (or double for single occupants). Since you were all already in the Haven, it's not a matter of having to provide Haven benefits to more or fewer people....

YVR Bass had already converted his bid to approximately USD 1600. USD1200 would be exchanging twice. You may still be in the game. YVR Bass' bid is about the same as yours not less, Erdoran,

Oops! Sorry, missed that. Could be that YVR Bass conversion could make it slightly more than $1600 USD (said it was approx). Even a few dollars difference could knock Erdoran out in that case.

YVR Bass had already converted his bid to approximately USD 1600. USD1200 would be exchanging twice. You may still be in the game. YVR Bass' bid is about the same as yours not less, Erdoran,

Thanks for saying "his" made me realize my profile picture isn't showing up when I post - will have to try and fix that :cool:

I had already done the exchange from Canadian to US that's why I said about $1600 USD. Bid was $2200 CAD

Google says that with today's conversion rate $2200 CAD is $1,673.64 USD. So it could be they won the bid by ~$73.

Two days ago I put in a bid to upgrade from our Balcony BD cabin on deck 8 for a mini suite on our upcoming cruise this Friday the 6th on the Dawn. I heard within hours that my bid was accepted. I was very happy because I had not realized when I selected the cabin a few months ago that it was a “PrivaSea” balcony. I would have been very unhappy with that. My bid for mini suite was $200 per person.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Two days ago I put in a bid to upgrade from our Balcony BD cabin on deck 8 for a mini suite on our upcoming cruise this Friday the 6th on the Dawn. I heard within hours that my bid was accepted. I was very happy because I had not realized when I selected the cabin a few months ago that it was a “PrivaSea” balcony. I would have been very unhappy with that. My bid for mini suite was $200 per person.

What is a PrivaSea balcony?

What is a PrivaSea balcony?

Rather than the balcony sticking out from the ships superstructure and having a railing, the balcony is contained within the ship and the rail is steel and solid. The view out is through an opening in the ships structure.

ccf9f3b6b6fe732ade0c5a2faf5a5ce1.jpg

56d6151f8a486600acaadba1ca48b94d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since this is a new thread (and I am way not interested in sorting through 5000 posts in the old thread), can someone give an overview of how the upgrade bidding process works? New to NCL so I'm not familiar with the idea.

80 days prior to cruise, you are given the opportunity to request an upgrade for up to 2 cabin classes above your booked room (Inside to balcony, oceanview to mini-suite, balcony to suite, mini-suite to suite).

The system will tell you what the minimum and maximum bid is, and you pick a number between the two. These are the per-person bids (multiple by 2 for the amount you will pay if your bids are accepted). High end suite bids start at $2000 x 2 (you would have to bid a lot more to win). Low end ocean view bids (from inside) can be very affordable.

If there is a lot of inventory, low end bids are awarded soon after they are made. Bids for suites are usually award a few days before departure. Notifications that bids are not accepted are made around 48 hours before departure.

Since this is a new thread (and I am way not interested in sorting through 5000 posts in the old thread), can someone give an overview of how the upgrade bidding process works? New to NCL so I'm not familiar with the idea.

Quick answer is they send you an email normally 80 days before cruise date offering you the opportunity to place bids on several room categories above your reserved room. There is a “dial” you turn that goes from poor to excellent to place your bid. There is a minimum bid for each category, normally higher for the better ones. You can bid on none, one, several or all. They can notify you any time between when you place a bid and 48-hours prior to the cruise if you win. They almost always send an email if your bid(s) is not accepted.

Good luck!

Rather than the balcony sticking out from the ships superstructure and having a railing, the balcony is contained within the ship and the rail is steel and solid. The view out is through an opening in the ships structure.

ccf9f3b6b6fe732ade0c5a2faf5a5ce1.jpg

56d6151f8a486600acaadba1ca48b94d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info. I've been cruising awhile and never heard of these balconies .....and I don't want one!!![emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

These are the per-person bids (multiple by 2 for the amount you will pay if your bids are accepted). High end suite bids start at $2000 x 2 (you would have to bid a lot more to win).

Thank you @BirdTravels and @GADave!

I notice that the bid price is pp and you should multiple by 2 to get the actual price you pay. What if there are 3 in the room? For example: our balcony room is currently for 2 adults and a teenager. Am I bidding for each person in the room or is the maximum price paid for 2 regardless of the reservation number?

I notice that the bid price is pp and you should multiple by 2 to get the actual price you pay. What if there are 3 in the room? For example: our balcony room is currently for 2 adults and a teenager. Am I bidding for each person in the room or is the maximum price paid for 2 regardless of the reservation number?

It is per person, double occupancy. So you only pay the bid times 2. But, also realize the taxes, etc increase, as well as the cost of insurance, if you bought it from NCL.

All upgrade bids are for double occupancy (so times two) regardless of the number of people in the room. One person in the room? Two times the bid. Five people in the room? Still two times the bid.

Thanks for that info. I've been cruising awhile and never heard of these balconies .....and I don't want one!!![emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

"Privasea" is a marketing term that came out a few years back. Normally called a "hull" balcony.

Could be o.k. if weather not the best or if you don't want the sun unlike the bride who "cried the whole trip and stayed on bed" after getting a hull balcony on honeymoon.

I bid on the Dawn for our cruise back in May. We had a BD but put in bids for everything but the mini-suite. Only because the least you could bid was actually the difference on the website! Not a good deal to me. We did end up winning an SJ family suite for $370pp.

Have a great cruise and enjoy your MS!

I’ve only been on two cruises, both with fairly large groups, so upgrades were never offered or considered. When they happen, does the cruiseline contact you with an offer? Is it done prior to departure or when you are checking in at the cruise line? And you “bid” on them? How exactly does that work? We have a balcony on NCL Bliss this tiime.

I’ve only been on two cruises, both with fairly large groups, so upgrades were never offered or considered. When they happen, does the cruiseline contact you with an offer? Is it done prior to departure or when you are checking in at the cruise line? And you “bid” on them? How exactly does that work? We have a balcony on NCL Bliss this tiime.

You would have received an email about the bid opportunity 80 days before your sail date. It would also appear on your MyNCL page. If you book through some travel agents, you would not get the offer to bid.

Notices of upgrades can occur anytime between booking and 48 hours prior to cruise date/time.

• Like 1