Shorts in dining room?

ARI421

Many cruise lines post no shorts in main dining room but than dont enforce it.. how strict is summit? My husband and I will dress fir dinner every night. My 14 year old would wear dressy shorts and a collared shirt.. would that be acceptable?? Otherwise I need to go pants shopping! Lol

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Forums mobile app

Many cruise lines post no shorts in main dining room but than dont enforce it.. how strict is summit? My husband and I will dress fir dinner every night. My 14 year old would wear dressy shorts and a collared shirt.. would that be acceptable?? Otherwise I need to go pants shopping! Lol

In the MDR, NO shorts at dinner. Period, end of story. Doesn’t matter which ship in Celebrity’s fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sounds like a good plan.

• Like 1

Generally, the first night on board you are allowed to wear shorts in the dining room, given that people are still dealing with luggage, etc. But..you need to ask. Other than that, the dress code has always been enforced on the celebrity cruises we've taken.

• Like 1

Honestly, a couple pair of long pants with different shirts is good. They don’t have to be expensive, just neat. It’s not too expensive to buy, and it could save the embarrassment of getting refused seating.

• Like 1

But they don't always enforce. Usually they do, so be prepared. (I will avoid the should he/shouldn't he debate)

As already mentioned, the rule is usually relaxed on the first night. The only other exceptions I've heard of are the rare cases of guests whose luggage didn't make it onto the ship. They were given a grace period until they could buy clothing at the next port.

I highly recommend the Clubvera brand drawstring linen blend pants for your cruise. (Available at Macy's) My DS at a similar age thought they were very comfortable and lounge like while still being appropriate for the cruise. Bought some for DH too. They both wore them when we sailed the Summit in 2014.

• Like 1

As already mentioned, the rule is usually relaxed on the first night. The only other exceptions I've heard of are the rare cases of guests whose luggage didn't make it onto the ship. They were given a grace period until they could buy clothing at the next port.

If that was me, and I was expected to use my port time to try to buy something that I already owned, but was temporarily lost through no fault of my own, I would be spitting nails. In many ports it would be a real challenge, and it’s not like the person with no luggage is trying to pull a fast one in order to wear shorts.

What I have seen happen in the past is that the person with lost luggage is off the hook for the dress code until the luggage shows up.

While I don't recommend or condone it, on our most recent Solstice cruise, a little over a month ago, there was pretty much zero enforcement. YMMV

Same here....only on the Summit in Feb. ......saw them let a young lady with jean short-shorts in.....this was on Chic night.....we still enjoyed our food though!

While I don't recommend or condone it, on our most recent Solstice cruise, a little over a month ago, there was pretty much zero enforcement. YMMV

Yes, I could mention a few cruises where I have witnessed shorts being allowed in the MDR. I don’t care what people wear, but to say I’d never seen it on any of my cruises would certainly not be the case.

I like the ‘shabby chic’ comment from LF2C - that did bring a smile to my face :D.

Thanks everyone! My DH and I would always dress up for dinner on whatever cruise line we are on. We have never been turned away when my DS was in dress shorts on carnival, ncl or royal carribean. He does wear them with a button up dress shirt and looks in my opinion nicer than alot of people on there ripped jeans!! Lol! I will pick him up some nicer pants this week as jeans in the dining room seem far less dressy to me though it's stated on celebritus website?

Thanks everyone! My DH and I would always dress up for dinner on whatever cruise line we are on. We have never been turned away when my DS was in dress shorts on carnival, ncl or royal carribean. He does wear them with a button up dress shirt and looks in my opinion nicer than alot of people on there ripped jeans!! Lol! I will pick him up some nicer pants this week as jeans in the dining room seem far less dressy to me though it's stated on celebritus website?

Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise. Have you contacted Celebrity's Captains Club desk and provided them with your RC Crown and Anchor numbers? Bon Voyage. :champagne-toast:

Just got of summit. On "elegant chic" (love the shabby chic comment!) there were many examples of adults grossly rejecting the dress code. Nothing was said or done. As others said, this included jeans and t-shirts on elegant night.

My 11 year old (who looks like a 16 year old) wore a shirt, tie and dress pants on elegant night. For all other "smart casual" nights, he wore dress shorts with a golf shirt or button down short-sleeve shirt. On the first night he wore a dressy t-shirt.

There was never any challenge with him being admitted to the MDR.

IMHO he looked smarter and more put together than some adults did wearing clothes that were permitted by the dress code.

Just got of summit. On "elegant chic" (love the shabby chic comment!) there were many examples of adults grossly rejecting the dress code. Nothing was said or done. As others said, this included jeans and t-shirts on elegant night.

My 11 year old (who looks like a 16 year old) wore a shirt, tie and dress pants on elegant night. For all other "smart casual" nights, he wore dress shorts with a golf shirt or button down short-sleeve shirt. On the first night he wore a dressy t-shirt.

IMHO he looked smarter and more put together than some adults did wearing clothes that were permitted by the dress code.

So. Jeans are ok any evening according to Celebrity's suggested guidelines.

FWIW traveled on the Summit in January with my DW and some friends. One of our friends wore dressy shorts into the MDR one evening. He was promptly stopped at the entrance and asked to change. Though, reading some of the other comments it seems like there's a possibility that some times it gets overlooked.

This is what I was curious about.. my son has nice vineyard vines shorts and Abercrombie they are dressy I did buy some pants today though lol