Grand princess changes - fleet wide?

MTJSR

We just did the BVE today on the Grand Princess in San Francisco and found out some interesting changes.

#1 Passengers were boarded on deck 7 forward and ushered all the way to the far aft entrance and encouraged to go straight up to Horizon Court for lunch.

#2 Passengers were NOT allowed to go to their staterooms until 1pm, when an announcement was made on the P.A.

#3 Menu changes start tomorrow and there are 15 new items being rolled out.

#4 The embarkation lunch menu has changed (pic attached)

FYI

IMG_5195.jpg

I love the spinach and cheese ravioli on day 1 - one of their best pastas. They usually offered a different soufflé that day (orange?). The milky chocolate souffle was offered at night one night.

Sorry to see the smaller menu.

We were told at check on the Sapphire recently that our rooms wouldn't be ready until 1. Several did go directly to their room, I went to the dining room with my carry on.

Thanks for your comments.

I was on the Caribbean Princess in May. I boarded about 11:15, but cabins weren't ready till 1.

I can understand passengers being encouraged to go to buffet. Lunch in the dining room started at noon, but the buffet was ready upon boarding.

We're club class, we don't have to put up with peons (please realize that's sarcasm and not meant to be taken seriously)!

That said, MDR embankment lunch has always been limited, but for us, going to the MDR is how we start and officially means "we're here".

Less than 2 months!

Ditto that we were told cabins were not ready till 1. Interestingly' date=' ours was ready when we boarded....some time between 11:30 and noon. We did MDR lunch. Yes, they were encouraging people to go up to the buffet. We had the "old" menu.[/quote']

Actually - on my Sapphire Princess cruise recently, there was a guy standing at the aft elevators on Deck 7 telling people that the dining room was closed due to a private function. It was in the Princess Patter that it was open for lunch. I was disappointed and there was a woman there that said something like "the Patter says it is open" and he said "no, private function only". I just got in the elevator and went downstairs and was welcomed into the dining room.

I sort of have to wonder if the guy standing at the elevator was uninformed or told to tell people not to go in the dining room. This was a month ago.

--------

I have seen others report a smaller menu but it was slightly different than what was posted.

That said, MDR embankment lunch has always been limited, but for us, going to the MDR is how we start and officially means "we're here".

It has always been smaller but it usually is not this limited. Last month, I had a larger menu.

People have reported smaller menus before and I don't remember when they have used these. It is part of Princess being "inconsistent".

MDR embankment lunch has always been limited, but for us, going to the MDR is how we start and officially means "we're here".

I agree and after 15 cruises on Princess I'm pretty conditioned to go to the MDR after embarkation for lunch. I really liked the Shrimp and Avocado salad on the old menu. In fact, thats what I was looking forward to today, so the new menu kinda caught me off guard.

Wow, I’m pretty shocked at the uniformity of recent experiences vis-à-vis a 1pm cabin readiness. Immediate availability of the cabins was always one of the main things that set Princess apart. We like to board early to get our vacation started ASAP, and I’ve been telling my in-laws that we’ll be able to go our our adjacent cabins right away. I’m pretty unhappy to hear of this development.

Was on the Grand May/June wasn't that way then.

I liked the last menu for embarking that they shorten, this one is

really shorten. Not much choices.

Wonder what the 15 new things will be and what will they take off.

Yes wonder if just the Grand or all.

My next cruise is on the Grand then the Crown. Guess I'll see what's going on.

It has always been smaller but it usually is not this limited. Last month, I had a larger menu.

People have reported smaller menus before and I don't remember when they have used these. It is part of Princess being "inconsistent".

Sailed on Ruby in September, 2016, and Royal, March, 2018. We always eat in the MDR when we embark. We just don't listen to the people lie to us. I just look them straight in the eye and ask which dining room is open for lunch. Anyway, we have always had a limited lunch menu on embarkation day. This really is nothing new, at least to us.

Pooh

What time are most of you boarding to be able to lunch in the MDR? We have almost been provided a tour bus by TA and never arrive until MD is closed. This time boarding in Seattle by ourselves. I wonder what time we should arrive, the lunch menu will be a great treat.

Really seems like the "Carnivalization" of Princess, ie no cabins till 1. Watch for being able to buy access (I know they have tested that already). Although Carnival at least lets Platinium and Diamond (Elite) have access.

Things that set Princess apart are disappearing. Like this issue. Like real coffee cards where you could use punches on subsequent cruises. Happy hour.

Looking into my crystal ball, watch for: No room service on embark/debark day; charging for room service after 10pm.

Wonder if platinum and elite would also have to wait till 1 pm to go to their cabin?

Yes on the Ruby on June 30th. The hallways were closed and an alarm sounded if anyone (like my DH) tried to open the hall doors. Our embarkation menu was longer than the one posted by the OP.

Oh well if cabins aren’t ready till 1 I may do more cruising with Celebrity, a ready cabin is a great attraction to Princess

We cruised Celebrity in March and cabins were not ready when we boarded, was probably around 1:00 when we were allowed access. This is a very demanding day for the crew. Yes, I'm always anxious to get on the ship, but I consider it a simple thing to wait in a public area until the cabins are ready.