Vertigo and Cruising in the same week?

Hi everyone. I would like some advice on a decision I have to make. I had a vertigo episode that started on Monday (my first ever one) and it got to where I was in bed, throwing up and couldn’t do anything. The next day I felt a little bit better but when I tried to walk I almost fainted and then threw up after. We went to the ER where I got medication and I’ve been feeling better ever since. I still get dizzy a little, sometimes worse than others. My question is, should I go on the 7 day cruise I have booked for this saturday 8/4? Will it trigger another attack or make the current dizziness I have worse? How can I help it?

Thank you. I appreciate all answers!

Hi everyone. I would like some advice on a decision I have to make. I had a vertigo episode that started on Monday (my first ever one) and it got to where I was in bed, throwing up and couldn’t do anything. The next day I felt a little bit better but when I tried to walk I almost fainted and then threw up after. We went to the ER where I got medication and I’ve been feeling better ever since. I still get dizzy a little, sometimes worse than others. My question is, should I go on the 7 day cruise I have booked for this saturday 8/4? Will it trigger another attack or make the current dizziness I have worse? How can I help it?

Shouldn't you be asking this of your regular MD (who has your medical history to advise any recommendation).

I am truly baffled as to why you joined Cruise Critic yesterday to ask a medical question. Going on WebMD would have made more sense. Even if a Doctor or nurse is here and gives you advice (and they won't) NO ONE knows you, or your medical history. Good luck to you

Edited by champagne123

My husband's Cardiologist said he should not travel at all. We had a cruise booked in 3 days. The Dr. hand wrote a letter stating this. His secretary wouldn't have it typed right away but we got it in a few days. I called the cruise line (Carnival) and faxed the Dr.'s letter. They allowed us to cancel this cruise but we got no $$ back. We used the fare on another Carnival cruise which we did a few months later. Maybe you can do this!

My husband's Cardiologist said he should not travel at all. We had a cruise booked in 3 days. The Dr. hand wrote a letter stating this. His secretary wouldn't have it typed right away but we got it in a few days. I called the cruise line (Carnival) and faxed the Dr.'s letter. They allowed us to cancel this cruise but we got no $$ back. We used the fare on another Carnival cruise which we did a few months later. Maybe you can do this!

Or if the OP purchased insurance with the cruise they may get a refund if they choose to cancel.

I am truly baffled as to why you joined Cruise Critic yesterday to ask a medical question. Going on WebMD would have made more sense. Even if a Doctor or nurse is here and gives you advice (and they won't) NO ONE knows you, or your medical history. Good luck to you

Actually a doctor will give some advice. That would be to consult with his own physician to help determine the etiology of his vertigo and appropriate treatment should it reoccur. He/she would also answer the question regarding the upcoming cruise. See, never say doctors won’t give advice.

Actually a doctor will give some advice. That would be to consult with his own physician to help determine the etiology of his vertigo and appropriate treatment should it reoccur. He/she would also answer the question regarding the upcoming cruise. See, never say doctors won’t give advice.

I am a nurse. I would NEVER in a million years give medical advice on a cruise website for someone I have NO idea about their medical background. I am pretty sure a doctor wouldn’t either. What you stated above is not medical advice. It is exactly what all of us said on this thread.

I have been suffering from Vertigo since childhood .I cannot be on a plane or a train .Cruising is the only thing I can do . I have yet to have a vertigo attack on a cruise

I would go to the doctors for two reasons. The first being to find out what's wrong and the second is that if you still decide to go on the cruise with your doctors permission, to get a note from him/her stating that your throwing up is not a virus or flu and nothing contagious! I know someone that was on a recent cruise that was seen by her cabin attendant throwing up and he reported it. She was confined to her cabin until it was determined that it was sea sickness, as he told them!

I am a nurse. I would NEVER in a million years give medical advice on a cruise website for someone I have NO idea about their medical background. I am pretty sure a doctor wouldn’t either. What you stated above is not medical advice. It is exactly what all of us said on this thread.

Appparently you lack a sense of irony. What I was saying was in fact that seeing his physician was the best medical advice. I was not disagreeing with that previous comment. The irony is that you said a doctor would never give medical advice on this forum. In fact I am a doctor and that was my advice. A little humor ought to go a long way.

I am not a doctor, and this is not medical advice. This is purely anecdotal. I had an attack of vertigo this spring. I went on a cruise while this was going on. (For what it’s worth, I asked my doctor about it and she said it was up to me what I wanted to do.) I was no better or worse on the ship than I had been at home. I am very lucky and am not prone to seasickness, no matter how rough the seas, and the vertigo didn’t make me nauseated at home or on the cruise. What I had real trouble with were stairs, particularly the stairs on excursion coaches. For me, they thrashed and twisted like one of those mechanical bulls. I had a crazed look and a white-knuckle grip on the railings every time I had to step down from a coach.

For the OP, have you asked your doctor about positioning exercises for vertigo, or acupuncture? I tried both. The acupuncture helped, but the exercises were a real game changer. I went from barely being able to sit up to mostly functional in a few days. My vertigo attack lasted nearly five months. One morning I woke up, and it just wasn’t there any more, which seems to be fairly common. I hope that happens for you too. Even without nausea, it’s a pretty miserable experience. Good luck!

Had it once too. Horrible. A couple trips to the clinic, and thankfully a doctor on call told me of the Eply Manouver. He performed it on me. It was nothing short of a miracle as I was feeling so poorly. He told me to google it at home and print instructions off. I had to do it maybe twice more over the next few weeks. I too agree with others....go to doctor and discuss options with him or her. Only a doctor can determine if there is an underlying cause.

I will apologize to the OP in advance if this is off base.

I get suspicious about first time posts asking a bunch of strangers on a forum about personal medical issues, criminal records, legal advice, etc. Just sayin. . .

Had it once too. Horrible. A couple trips to the clinic, and thankfully a doctor on call told me of the Eply Manouver. He performed it on me. It was nothing short of a miracle as I was feeling so poorly. He told me to google it at home and print instructions off. I had to do it maybe twice more over the next few weeks. I too agree with others....go to doctor and discuss options with him or her. Only a doctor can determine if there is an underlying cause.

The Eply Maneuver has helped me enormously. It's been a life-saver. But I'd definitely go along with everybody else and discuss this with a doctor.