Rome excursions

lncruiser

We will be cruising into Civitavecchia in May 2019 and are going to do a Celebrity Cruise's excursion.

With Rome so far away we prefer to use the cruise line for the tour to ensure a safe return and avoid any issues if we are delayed for whatever reason.

There are so many to choose from we need help to decide. clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

I have listed some of the offered excursions we are considering and they are not in any particular order.

• A taste of Rome
  • Exclusive - The best of Rome
  • Imperial Rome
  • Rome - The eternal city
  • Elite Colosseum & underground highlights of Rome

If you have taken any of these excursions, any positive or negative info that will help us to make a choice will be appreciated!

Or if you have taken one I have not listed that you feel is good let us know.

Thanking all in advance!

lncruiser

We did Rome on our own, taking the train to Termini and the metro to the Colosseum. From thre we walked all over. Had done the Vatican on a previous trip. Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports has lots of suggestions if you want to create your own experience. EM

IMHO, if you are only in Rome for one day on a port stop I would do the excursion route. Will see more than trying to work around public transportation schedules. I don’t know what sites any of those tours include so can’t advise on one, but for me, the highlight of Rome is the colosseum and the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One day in Rome. You cant do everything but here's an option

Shuttle from ship to port gates (free)

Bus to station (2 Euros)

Train to Rome (BIRG Ticket) 12 Euros the BIRG gives you transport to and from Rome, transport on the Metro and local buses

Get off train at St Pietro - Bus 59 to St Peters square - visit the Basilica

Catch metro to Spagna - Spanish steps.

walk from Spanish steps past all the high fashion store to Pantheon

Pantheon walk to Trevis fountain and Piazza Nevona

From Piazza Nevonna wal;k to Venezia then Coliseum.

Depending upon timings you may choose to visit the Coliseum but unlikely.

Catch metro from Coliseum back to Terminii station for train back to Civitivecchia.

A day in Rome is too short to see the minimum number of attractions inside but this program will give you a taste of the must sees. Even if you take a tour from the ship you are going to spend a lot of time walking as most attarctions are not the most friendly for cars and besides it is quicker to walk.

Just an option and its the cheapest option

It really depends what YOU want to see. What are your priorities?

Read the descriptions of the tours you listed and determine what

you want to see- do you want to visit the Vatican? Does one

of these tours take you there and also the Colosseum? Rome

is huge.

Also, there is a tremendous amount of information on the Europe/ Italy

boards. That is where I have found my tour information for Rome which we

have booked with a private vendor. You can hire private companies and

customize what you would like to see.

don't try to do Rome on your own if you only have one day. Take a tour (celebrity or I always suggest using Viator instead). The tours are put together so that you see as much as you can....some are drive by shootings, others go into the Vatican Museum, etc. Irrespective of which tour you take, you will only scratch the surface of Rome, but that's ok.....just plan on returning some day when you have a few days to see the rest of the sites.

I'm not sure there is any one "right" excursion. Just accept that you are going to miss some of the major sites and experiences...but that's what happens when cruising. Another perfect example of this is the port they call Florence....and then you do a one day tour of Florence which doesn't even take you into the museums to see the incredible art.

Don't spend too much time finding the perfect tour....as I said, it doesn't exist.

don't try to do Rome on your own if you only have one day. Take a tour (celebrity or I always suggest using Viator instead). The tours are put together so that you see as much as you can....some are drive by shootings, others go into the Vatican Museum, etc. Irrespective of which tour you take, you will only scratch the surface of Rome, but that's ok.....just plan on returning some day when you have a few days to see the rest of the sites.

I'm not sure there is any one "right" excursion. Just accept that you are going to miss some of the major sites and experiences...but that's what happens when cruising. Another perfect example of this is the port they call Florence....and then you do a one day tour of Florence which doesn't even take you into the museums to see the incredible art.

Don't spend too much time finding the perfect tour....as I said, it doesn't exist.

Why shouldn't one try to do Rome on one's ownsome. My earlier post provides a cheap way of doing just that without having spend a small fortune on a tour which basically covers the same things. In fact because one is freedom travelling one is not restrained by a so called guide trying to herd cats back into a van at each stop

Decide what YOU actually are interested in and what you want to see, rather than what you think you SHOULD see, simply because it's what "you are supposed to see" when in Rome. Does that make sense? With one day, you'll probably be better off with a guided tour as you've planned, but if you try to do one that includes all the highlights, you'll likely spend most of the day running from place to place and won't get to really visit and enjoy any at length. In particular, touring the Coliseum can take a while, as can visiting the Vatican/Sistine Chapel. It's going to be a long day so really think about what you are truly interested in and find a tour that focuses on that.

Why shouldn't one try to do Rome on one's ownsome. My earlier post provides a cheap way of doing just that without having spend a small fortune on a tour which basically covers the same things. In fact because one is freedom travelling one is not restrained by a so called guide trying to herd cats back into a van at each stop

Obviously there is a cost factor to any decision on how to visit any port. You can almost always do a port on your own....and you can spend a great deal of time finding and getting to the transport stop, waiting for that public transportation vehicle to arrive, and so on. Don't get me wrong...I've done that a few times and it always works out because I can alter my schedule at will. You can reduce the "travel time" by using taxis...sometimes....and it definitely increases the DIY cost...or there's the private guide where you will get maximum information, maximum time at the sites you want to see at maximum cost.

OTOH, taking a guided tour, you will get lots of information while on the bus/van and you won't have to wonder how to get in to the museum, etc. If you are in a small group, herding everyone on/off the bus isn't that bad. Yes, the tour probably costs more than the real DIY, but I think you do see more finding a small group tour. Alternatively, the large bus (ship) tours hit the highlights and yes, there's always someone who says "I'll only be a second" and then disappears for five minutes to take one more picture, visit the bathroom or buy that souvenir of their dreams

When we cruise, we try to do private or very small group tours...or we get to the middle of the city (shuttle bus or taxi) and just walk...don't try to do public transportation. When we are staying in a city (hotel), we either join a walking tour or do DIY using taxis. That's what works for us.....

Different strokes for different wallets.....

Edited by ghstudio

We will be cruising into Civitavecchia in May 2019 and are going to do a Celebrity Cruise's excursion.

With Rome so far away we prefer to use the cruise line for the tour to ensure a safe return and avoid any issues if we are delayed for whatever reason.

There are so many to choose from we need help to decide. clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

I have listed some of the offered excursions we are considering and they are not in any particular order.

• A taste of Rome
  • Exclusive - The best of Rome
  • Imperial Rome
  • Rome - The eternal city
  • Elite Colosseum & underground highlights of Rome

If you have taken any of these excursions, any positive or negative info that will help us to make a choice will be appreciated!

Or if you have taken one I have not listed that you feel is good let us know.

Thanking all in advance!

lncruiser

I know you have decided on a ship's excursion to ensure you are returned to the ship for departure. I am not trying to change your mind, just present some info that others may find useful. No matter what you decide, Italy is a fantastic place - one of the few places we've returned to!

FWIW, the "miss the ship" scare tactic is an urban myth that the cruiselines perpetuate to make more money. The only thing the ship promises is that you will be reunited with the ship. So, if your tour misses your departure, they will get you to the next port. On all or our cruises, the most memorable tour disaster was the two tour groups that RCCL left behind in Italy - they were ship-sponsored! Never have I heard of a private tour missing the ship - their very livelihood depends on reliability. Occasionally the ship is able to wait in port if they are informed of a late return by both ship or private tours (this is not always possible).

We very rarely book ship tours, finding private tours to be superior in quality, group size, flexibility and cost. I understand that some feel uncomforatble and believe it is risky to venture out on their own.

FWIW - Viator is a tour consolidator - third party vendor. They usually charge a significant amount more that you would pay if you booked directly with the actual vendor.

Totally agree. Civitavecchia stops are generally pretty long, 12 hours or so, giving you flexibility.

Doing it on your own allows you to concentrate on what is of interest to you---and avoid that which is not--while giving you the ability to control the pace.

We've done Rome independently at least 10 times, including our very first visit there.

First visit to Rome we used RomeInLimo (amazing tour...saw and did so much including a private tour of the Vatican).

This next trip in May 2019 we're just going to use the ship offered DIY for the transportation to make it easy and assure getting back to the ship on time without having to rely on public transportation and the possibilities of something going wrong.

You're dropped off at St Peter's Square and picked back up there ..... couldn't be an easier choice this visit for us.

Not sure how fit you feel but as others have said Rome is fairly compact and easy to walk around and do on your own. We normally try and do as many port stops on our own as possible as the ships tours often don’t do what we want. Having said that, when in Rome we have done a compromise. Celebrity usually offer something like “Rome on your own” as a tour which gives you many hours on your own in Rome to explore at your leisure. You get a coach with a guide, map, water and commentary on the in excess of one hour journey to the city from the port. The drop off and collection point is usually in front of St Peters Basilica. So for example, from there we walked past Castel St Angelo through Piazza Nevona, past the Pantheon to the Trevi Fountain and on to the Spanish Steps. We caught the Metro from the Spanish Steps to the Colosseum, walked back through the Forum to the Basilica. It was a comfortable day out.

I understand the desire to do a ships tour and this is an option if none of the others seem to do what you want. It is fairly easy to use public transport in Rome but it is often subject to motorway delays, strikes and overcrowding on the trains. This option, if available, gives you the Ship to Basilica option in an air conditioned coach.

2me9tug.jpg

We booked a private tour with Rome Cabs by joining a group on the Roll Call for an 8 hour tour of Rome and the Vatican. We had the option to alter the schedule. The first thing our driver asked us was what time we had to be back on the ship. I think we made it back about 5:00 and we didn't sail until 8:00.

I think we did 3 days of touring in one day. It was a lot of area to cover and we did it in the most efficient way possible thanks to Rafaela. Our cost for the car and driver was 400 euros and the private guide for the Coliseum and Vatican was 300 euros divided by 8. We gave the driver 50 euros each and each added a tip. For our

guide Rafaela we evened up to 40 euros rather than try to break it down to 37.50 which was the exact cost.

We did the entire cruise with basically the same group of 8 (including us). Much better and cheaper than ship's tours with 60 people.

Sue

We did a Rome in limo tour with members from our roll call, really dislike any ship tours, they are over priced and crowded.

With companies like this, you also have the option to book a private tour. We prefer that over being herded around in a large group. Yes, it costs more, but you get what you pay for....we'd rather be in a small vehicle that can maneuver around and park more easily, a guide who gives our small group his/her undivided attention and so forth. Many prefer a more affordable group option and that's fine, just pointing out options. And yes, in many places it's easy to tour without a guide, but have always found a guide to be well worth it. Our go-to in a new place is to book a half day with a private guide near the start of the trip, then pick the guide's brain on what else to see, best times to go, how to navigate whatever public transit there might be, where to eat, what to avoid, etc. We have found guides to be a wealth of information in this regard so we kind of get the best of both worlds.

Example: Four of us will be in Rome for 2 days in October before meeting up with more friends for a week in a villa in Tuscany. Three of us have been to Rome multiple times but one has never been. I've been a couple of times, but have never actually toured the Colosseum. We have booked Driver in Rome for a private 6 hour tour, similar to a group tour they offer but with some changes and a little shorter in length. We could do it on our own, but for our first timer especially, and for me visiting the Colosseum for the first time, a guide will be far more knowledgeable than us trying to recall bits of info, the transportation around the city will be easier, etc.

First visit to Rome we used RomeInLimo (amazing tour...saw and did so much including a private tour of the Vatican).

This next trip in May 2019 we're just going to use the ship offered DIY for the transportation to make it easy and assure getting back to the ship on time without having to rely on public transportation and the possibilities of something going wrong.

You're dropped off at St Peter's Square and picked back up there ..... couldn't be an easier choice this visit for us.

I totally agree. Last year we had one day to see as much of Rome as possible. My sister had warned me against the ship’s bus excursion. (I’m not sure which cruise line.). She described it as a bus ride with the guide talking and pointing out points of interest. We booked a Romeinlimo tour (I think 6 hours). We had a fabulous driver! He shared so much about his city as we drove from site to site. He would ask how long we wanted to walk thru the site then he told us where he’d meet us. We booked a private guide for the Vatican through Romeinlimo, too. It takes 3 to 4 hours to do a tour of the Vatican so if you choose to do that you be limited seeing other sites in Rome. We had a wonderful first trip to Rome and will do it on our own in three weeks. Of course a Romeinlimo driver will pick us up at the ship and take us to our hotel. Yes, maybe a little pricey, but worth every penny. You can email them any question and get a very quick response! Enjoy your cruise and Rome.

With companies like this, you also have the option to book a private tour. We prefer that over being herded around in a large group. Yes, it costs more, but you get what you pay for....we'd rather be in a small vehicle that can maneuver around and park more easily, a guide who gives our small group his/her undivided attention and so forth. Many prefer a more affordable group option and that's fine, just pointing out options. And yes, in many places it's easy to tour without a guide, but have always found a guide to be well worth it. Our go-to in a new place is to book a half day with a private guide near the start of the trip, then pick the guide's brain on what else to see, best times to go, how to navigate whatever public transit there might be, where to eat, what to avoid, etc. We have found guides to be a wealth of information in this regard so we kind of get the best of both worlds.

Example: Four of us will be in Rome for 2 days in October before meeting up with more friends for a week in a villa in Tuscany. Three of us have been to Rome multiple times but one has never been. I've been a couple of times, but have never actually toured the Colosseum. We have booked Driver in Rome for a private 6 hour tour, similar to a group tour they offer but with some changes and a little shorter in length. We could do it on our own, but for our first timer especially, and for me visiting the Colosseum for the first time, a guide will be far more knowledgeable than us trying to recall bits of info, the transportation around the city will be easier, etc.

Disagree a little if you can get a group of 8 from roll call price was less than ships tour , agree it’s so nice with private tours that can be altered if needed. But with four cost will be more.

Disagree a little if you can get a group of 8 from roll call price was less than ships tour , agree it’s so nice with private tours that can be altered if needed. But with four cost will be more.

Well yes, 6 would be cheaper than 4 because the vehicle/driver portion of the tour would be split by more people. But we have no desire to find 2 random people from a roll call to join us. Some people have no issue with that and if price is the primary concern they should go for it. We'd rather not risk someone who seems agreeable online, but turns out to be someone we don't get along with or who makes the tour less fun for any multitude of reasons. To each his own. We prefer both the flexibility of a small private group AND sticking just with our immediate group of friends/family that we happen to be traveling with and already know well enough that we know we are ok being stuck with them for the day, LOL.

Well yes, 6 would be cheaper than 4 because the vehicle/driver portion of the tour would be split by more people. But we have no desire to find 2 random people from a roll call to join us. Some people have no issue with that and if price is the primary concern they should go for it. We'd rather not risk someone who seems agreeable online, but turns out to be someone we don't get along with or who makes the tour less fun for any multitude of reasons. To each his own. We prefer both the flexibility of a small private group AND sticking just with our immediate group of friends/family that we happen to be traveling with and already know well enough that we know we are ok being stuck with them for the day, LOL.

We either tour alone or with one other couple that we meet on cruise critic roll call....and we are doing that again in a couple of weeks. We've always met nice, compatible folks who have been enjoyable to tour with. I think one of the keys is being (brutally) honest in correspondence, making clear what you do don't like (no smoking, fully ambulatory, want non tourist local food for lunch, and so on). We find 4 people works best when there's a driver and guide...which means you have a van with some space. If it's only a driver/guide, then you have to be a little careful because it can be a car with three in the back. Obviously, touring with friends is best. If we are with another couple, we wouldn't try to add folks to reduce the cost either.

I know it's not answering the OP's original question but I just have to chime in on the recommendations for Rome in Limo. They'll help you plan your day in advance and yet still be flexible when it's happening. I've done it with a group from our roll call and just family when there were four of us.

I loved that our driver could drop us very close to the Pantheon then pick us up at Piazza Navona, allowing us to walk between the two. He gave us a cell phone with his number pre-programmed so that he'd know when to pick us up. Big buses can't get into central Rome. We walked when we wanted to walk and he could drive us anywhere else a car (but not bus) could go.

Reliable companies like Rome in Limo and Rome Cabs make their living off taking care of their customers and getting them back to the ship on time.

Rome is a beautiful city, enjoy it whatever way that you get to see it.