Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

17 hours ago, jwilcox said:

One more questions - the Essentials package comes with the Premium Beverage package. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the Premium Beverage package to the Ultimate Beverage package?

We upgraded after a few days on our April cruise. We paid the difference in cost (about $7) less our loyalty discount for each of the days we had it.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 6:35 AM, wjfan417 said:

We upgraded after a few days on our April cruise. We paid the difference in cost (about $7) less our loyalty discount for each of the days we had it.

This good to hear. How did you go about making that happen? Whom would I talk to once we board to try to do that kind of upgrade?

46 minutes ago, jwilcox said:

This good to hear. How did you go about making that happen? Whom would I talk to once we board to try to do that kind of upgrade?

They can upgrade the package at the bars.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 10:26 AM, Beamafar said:

A couple of questions from this ‘newbie’:

Are excursion prices cheaper if you book online pre-cruise?  On the website it says “Select and Save - Book early and apply OBC for added savings”

On Med cruises, does Az add tax to the cost of the upgraded drinks package prices?  (They do on NCL)

TIA

Just back from Onward in Med. No tax added.

1 minute ago, kool kruiser said:

Just back from Onward in Med. No tax added.

Thank you so much for your reply.  That’s really good to know.  Hope you had a wonderful cruise.   Looking forward to our first experience on Azamara. 

32 minutes ago, Xcelsior said:

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would be willing to pay these prices.

Using up OBC I'm guessing. Other than that excuse, anyone paying those prices has too much money and I'd be more than happy if they'd like to donate some in my direction! All amounts accepted. 🤣

• Haha 2

Next week we'll board Azamara for the very first time (Pursuit from Lisbon, June 7th, 10 nights).
Can anybody for sure tell me: Will Azamara offer us the possibility to do a Covid test (PCR or Antigen) at the terminal during the check-in procedure? 🤫

We've got 4 vaccinations (two ordinary + two boosters), and have of course downloaded the EU Digital COVID Certificate downloadad at our phones.)

(Or is it necessary that we ourselves look for a place in Lisbon where we can do the test? We'll stay in Lisbon three nights ahead of the cruise. Any idea where we can do it...?) 
Thanks! Greetings from Sweden 👋

On 6/1/2022 at 6:16 PM, Beamafar said:

Thank you so much for your reply.  That’s really good to know.  Hope you had a wonderful cruise.   Looking forward to our first experience on Azamara. 

Hi,

currently on the Pursuit from Barcelona to Lisbon. 10% tax had been added to the beverage packages and specialty dining. There were signs 10% tax will be added while in spain waters, which is most of the time on this cruise. So i guess it is very specific to the actual cruise.

cheers

MouseBerry

3 hours ago, Frode said:

Next week we'll board Azamara for the very first time (Pursuit from Lisbon, June 7th, 10 nights).
Can anybody for sure tell me: Will Azamara offer us the possibility to do a Covid test (PCR or Antigen) at the terminal during the check-in procedure? 🤫

We've got 4 vaccinations (two ordinary + two boosters), and have of course downloaded the EU Digital COVID Certificate downloadad at our phones.)

(Or is it necessary that we ourselves look for a place in Lisbon where we can do the test? We'll stay in Lisbon three nights ahead of the cruise. Any idea where we can do it...?) 
Thanks! Greetings from Sweden 👋

We stayed at Avenida Palace in April and there was a testing center set up by the Restauradores metro station.

• Like 1

We have been in Lisbon 2 weeks ago.

There whereserveral test stations we saw.

I remember one near metro Saldhana and one in front of Campo Pequeno.

So I am sure, there will be a lot more. 

Have you asked at your hotel?

• Like 1

Going onboard Pursuit next week (it's our very first Azamara cruise) from Lisbon to Stockholm (10 nights, June 7-17). Packing right now...😵😁 I gladly dress up to dinners in costume or jacket (and trousers of course) if needed.... 👍as we will stay in Lisbon for some days ahead of the cruise.

I've got the impression that the dress code onboard is VERY casual?! 
What do you experienced Azamara cruisers say? Should I (a man going with may dear wife) bring a suit / jacket? And/or leven eave the tie back home.... 👀 (We don't want to stick out by overdressing - nor sticking out the opposite way 😇).
Thanks a lot! 

Edited by Frode

25 minutes ago, Frode said:

Going onboard Pursuit next week (it's our very first Azamara cruise) from Lisbon to Stockholm (10 nights, June 7-17). Packing right now...😵😁 I gladly dress up to dinners in costume or jacket (and trousers of course) if needed.... 👍as we will stay in Lisbon for some days ahead of the cruise.

What do you experienced Azamara cruisers say? Should I (a man going with may dear wife) bring a suit / jacket? And/or leven eave the tie back home.... 👀 (We don't want to stick out by overdressing - nor sticking out the opposite way 😇).
Thanks a lot! 

It is casual - smart casual. Very few men wear jackets & even fewer wear ties. My DH takes a jacket & wears it in the speciality restaurants but not in Discoveries MDR.  Ladies tend to wear trousers/skirts and smart tops, but some wear dresses, though you don’t often see maxi dresses.

At the end of the day you can wear what you want and are comfortable with, but they don’t allow shorts, distressed jeans, baseball caps etc.

One thing we have noticed is that the type of cruise seems to make a difference. On a Norway cruise with lots of port days, and also on a cruise in Costa Rica, people were generally more casual - possibly because they were ashore most days, often on long tours. On cruises with more sea days (E.g transatlantic/ Athens to Dubai etc) people seemed to dress up more in the evenings.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Frode said:

Thanks a lot! 

I don't possess a tie or a suit.

Azamara dress code is virtually non-existent. Weatmr clothes in which you feel comfortable. (Maybe avoid swimsuits and shorts for evening dining, though)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

DH and I want to wear what we can fit into one 50 pound checked bag each, along with outerwear for several climates, toiletries, etc.  Will that do?

No-one could give you a definitive answer. Only you know what you consider to be essential. Work outwards from there? You probably don't need your gownless evening straps, or snow boots, or winter gloves. 

I'm being facetious, of course, but there are too many variables here.

7 minutes ago, luv2travel90266 said:

Azamara has free self serve laundry on board. Why would you want to carry more? Check out Rick Steves video on his site for travelling with less. 

Why would you want to spend time washing and ironing on holiday?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, les37b said:

Why would you want to spend time washing and ironing on holiday?

I agree, we prefer to use the laundry. They often do an offer for a bag. The bags look small, but it’s amazing how much you can squeeze into them if you roll everything up as tight as possible.

• Like 3