Informational copy birth certificate

yolo87

Who issued it? If it was issued by a hospital it's not acceptable. If it is issued by a government authority then it may be okay, but the word "informational" is confusing. There might be time to get a copy of your official birth certificate from vitalchek.com.

Just found this https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHSI/Pages/Authorized-Copy-vs--Informational-Copy.aspx and it looks like it might work since it is an official birth certificate but the "not a valid document to establish identity" language gives me a little pause (although you are presenting your birth certificate to establish citizenship, not identity). I would still try to get a regular copy through VitalChek, but if all you have is the informational copy then that's all you have. (I do wonder how you got an informational copy though since they are only given to people who aren't authorized to get an authorized copy under California law.)

Just found this https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHSI/Pages/Authorized-Copy-vs--Informational-Copy.aspx and it looks like it might work since it is an official birth certificate but the "not a valid document to establish identity" language gives me a little pause (although you are presenting your birth certificate to establish citizenship, not identity). I would still try to get a regular copy through VitalChek, but if all you have is the informational copy then that's all you have. (I do wonder how you got an informational copy though since they are only given to people who aren't authorized to get an authorized copy under California law.)

I contacted carnival and was told it would work but I need to contact Homeland security. I checked the site for vital check but I won’t receive it before the cruise.

I contacted carnival and was told it would work but I need to contact Homeland security. I checked the site for vital check but I won’t receive it before the cruise.

It is an officially issued birth certificate and has all of the information on it that a regular one so you should be okay. If you haven't time to get another than you'll have to go with what you have and hope for the best.

Carnival allows people to cruise with a clean photocopy of their BC so a raised seal is not necessary.

The CDPH website does state that 'Authorized and informational copies are both “certified copies.”'

But I agree that when you check in at the port terminal, the people checking you in might have an issue with the fact that it states "Informational Copy" - guess it depends on how many of these they might have seen.....

It is an officially issued birth certificate and has all of the information on it that a regular one so you should be okay. If you haven't time to get another than you'll have to go with what you have and hope for the best.

Thank you. I hope it works. I will update you in a few weeks! Fingers crossed.

Carnival allows people to cruise with a clean photocopy of their BC so a raised seal is not necessary.

The CDPH website does state that 'Authorized and informational copies are both “certified copies.”'

But I agree that when you check in at the port terminal, the people checking you in might have an issue with the fact that it states "Informational Copy" - guess it depends on how many of these they might have seen.....

I hope it works. I went on vital check and requested a expediated copy, I’m praying it gets here soon. Thank you.

Vital Check's service isn't all that great, in my family's experience. It took them almost 2 months to get my daughter's BC to her, and were almost unreachable via phone in trying to get answers or assistance. She had to eventually make a panicked call directly to the state bureau of vital statistics in PA and plead her case (needing BC in order to get her passport for a cruise in just over a month). Once that call was made, she received in in less than a week, and she succeeded in getting her passport expedited (for a fee, of course!).

Hope you have better luck than she did with Vital Check!!

Vital Check's service isn't all that great, in my family's experience. It took them almost 2 months to get my daughter's BC to her, and were almost unreachable via phone in trying to get answers or assistance. She had to eventually make a panicked call directly to the state bureau of vital statistics in PA and plead her case (needing BC in order to get her passport for a cruise in just over a month). Once that call was made, she received in in less than a week, and she succeeded in getting her passport expedited (for a fee, of course!).

Hope you have better luck than she did with Vital Check!!

Wow now that’s crazy especially when they say they expedite the service. Hate she went through that. I hope I don’t have any issues.

You need to have a birth certificate that has the raised seal.

Most states have replaced the raised seal with a watermark or hologram built into the form.

The general rule is that the birth certificate has to have the four following items:

1. Date of original issue (usually a few days after you were born--even if subsequent revisions were made ie adoption, name change);
  2. Date this particular official copy was made;
  3. Signature of the clerk who made this copy;
  4. Mark of the agency--again, now more commonly a watermark or hologram rather than raised seal.

If you look at the documentation rules on Carnival's website you can see their definition of a valid birth certificate is looser than most other cruise lines; they explicitly say a photocopy is acceptable. So it sounds like your version may be as well.

Most states have replaced the raised seal with a watermark or hologram built into the form.

The general rule is that the birth certificate has to have the four following items:

1. Date of original issue (usually a few days after you were born--even if subsequent revisions were made ie adoption, name change);
  2. Date this particular official copy was made;
  3. Signature of the clerk who made this copy;
  4. Mark of the agency--again, now more commonly a watermark or hologram rather than raised seal.

If you look at the documentation rules on Carnival's website you can see their definition of a valid birth certificate is looser than most other cruise lines; they explicitly say a photocopy is acceptable. So it sounds like your version may be as well.

Thanks for the info, all of that is included on the informational copy. I pray it works.

As long as it was issued by the STATE, and not the hospital, it's fine. A LEGAL birth certificate comes from the STATE.

Or in some cases other government jurisdictions - My birth certificate was issued by New York City's Health Department. It is the official document, and it has been decades since NYC used a 'raised seal'.

Here's the difference between "Authorized" and "informational" copies:

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHSI/Pages/Authorized-Copy-vs--Informational-Copy.aspx

And fortunately for the OP, as I posted earlier, both are considered "Certified copies"

and recognized so - at least by the State of California. That Informational Copy designation is the kicker out of state......

Wow now that’s crazy especially when they say they expedite the service. Hate she went through that. I hope I don’t have any issues.

My son needed a passport for a job in Italy - the Certificate of Live Birth we were issued when he was born in NY was no longer valid as the state had changed format several years prior.

Tried VitalChek and was told that even with expedited processing, it would take 10 business days. Called the County Clerk's office where he was born and got it the next day - for almost half the cost VitalChek was going to charge

The process may vary by county in California.

Do you have a child, sibling, parent or grandparent who can go in person to the recorder's office in the county where you were born? They count as authorized persons qualified to get an authorized copy of a birth certificate. A copy can be obtained while they wait and then they could mail or even overnight it to you.

One of the two counties I looked at also has the option of doing it by fax and for an extra $19 will process within 2 days and send with an overnight delivery service. That website also said online orders via vitalcheck could get 2-day processing and overnight service for that fee.

If the county you were born in doesn't mention an expedited option on their website, perhaps you could phone them to ask whether they have one.

"Informational" doesn't sound official to me.

You need to have a birth certificate that has the raised seal.

You do NOT need a raised seal. You need a certified copy, and some lines will even take a copy of a certified BC. Very few states provide anything with a raised seal anymore, they use special paper and stamps and they are perfectly acceptable.