Southern Caribbean ports - which to avoid?

Aruba

Bonaire

Curacao

St. John's

St. Lucia

Barbados

St. Kitts

In choosing an itinerary, can you guys tell me if any of these on the dumpier side? (Think Nassau or Falmouth). We will likely do water stuff/snorkeling at each port- any advice which ports would be good, and which you'd avoid?

Thanks!

Get a guidebook on your ports...or google them. Find out which have the best snorkeling, if that's your thing...

Many Caribbean countries are relatively "poor"....(at least, according to OUR standards)...but that doesn't make them a "dump"! It's simply a different way of life.

We wouldn't any of these ports.

But if we absolutely had to, St Kitts would be the most likely candidate.

It does have beautiful Brimstone Fortress and South Friars and Cockleshell beaches

get a guidebook on your ports...or google them. Find out which have the best snorkeling, if that's your thing...

Many caribbean countries are relatively "poor"....(at least, according to our standards)...but that doesn't make them a "dump"! It's simply a different way of life.

Love

I’m with Bob. I absolutely love all of these ports. St Lucia is my favorite island in the Caribbean but enjoy them all.
The most beautiful island in Caribbeans.

Excursions with proven independent operators like Cosol tours make it even better.

Aruba and Bonaire are simply magical. In Curacao don't go to Pirate's beach - nothing interesting there, very mediocre beach.
In Curaçao we loved Blue Bay.

$8 pp. Snorkeling off the beach is simply amazing.

Capital is pretty picturesque too and right near the port.

As others have posted love EASTERN/SOUTHERN Caribbean ports. Just wish we could sail there from Port of Tampa. Have been to western Caribbean ports more times than I care to remember and do not have a single port I care to visit again. Would visit any EASTERN/SOUTHERN port in a heart beat.

Aruba

Bonaire

Curacao

St. John's

St. Lucia

Barbados

St. Kitts

In choosing an itinerary, can you guys tell me if any of these on the dumpier side? (Think Nassau or Falmouth). We will likely do water stuff/snorkeling at each port- any advice which ports would be good, and which you'd avoid?

Thanks!

Do you mean St. John, Antigua? Or St. John, USVI.

Out of the above, all our great places. ABC for snorkeling. St Lucia has great snorkeling too. Barbados also. I would only skip Antigua. (Beautiful beaches)

We love all of those ports. In Bonaire the Woodwind snorkel catamaran tours is my favorite we have ever done in any port. . . . that is saying a lot.

Our tour was 2 drift snorkels. They had staff that went with 3 ability groups. [one group was on their own]. The staff pointed out things and helped if needed. There were a few total non swimmers aboard. [their own group] I really liked that they had masks with glasses prescriptions and wet suit tops for each person. It kept us from getting burned by the VERY strong sun at that latitude. and we had a great lunch on the way back.

They are very eco friendly.

Get a guidebook on your ports...or google them. Find out which have the best snorkeling, if that's your thing...

Many Caribbean countries are relatively "poor"....(at least, according to OUR standards)...but that doesn't make them a "dump"! It's simply a different way of life.

❤️❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m with Bob. I absolutely love all of these ports. St Lucia is my favorite island in the Caribbean but enjoy them all.

Me, too! I think St. Lucia and St. John are especially beautiful. Some of the vendors and tour people on St. Kitts can sometimes be a little aggressive. All in all though, I would not avoid any of the ports listed. We have visited them all, some more than once, and have enjoyed them all. :D