5/12/2020 Pacific Panama Canal cruise cancelled

1emerald1

I'd take that bet. When we were onboard, we had a chat with the hotel director and he was saying that the ship is one of the most profitable in the Princess fleet.

That is interesting. We were told a few years ago by a senior officer that the Pacific Princess earned about one million US$ per month. The 2500 to 3000 passenger ships earned an average of five million US$ per WEEK.

Have no idea which is right.

That is interesting. We were told a few years ago by a senior officer that the Pacific Princess earned about one million US$ per month. The 2500 to 3000 passenger ships earned an average of five million US$ per WEEK.

I've often heard that it's just not profitable to continue to run the smaller ships. My money is she's going elsewhere.

I feel your pain! It was also painful to be on the cruise that ended early, and the one that was cancelled, and the one after that, and flying home to the US and back just 8 days apart.

I hope the Pacific Princess stays around for a long while. It perfectly fits a need that I’ve seen in the cruise industry by providing a slightly more premium experience for a slightly higher price, without putting it in the Azamara/Oceania price range. It proves that people are very willing to pay a little more to get that kind of old world cruising.

I disagree. The problem is that the Pacific Princess costs more but still provides a same lousy Princess experience. I just did a cruise on the Pacific because it had an itinerary that I wanted to do but I was not impressed w the service, the attitude of the crew or the fact that Princess is an expert at nickel and diming you to death. Also, Princess does not give it's captains the flexibility to slightly modify cruise routes or cruise experiences to provide a better cruise for the passengers.

I have been doing most of my recent cruising on Azamara and the shipboard experience is totally different than that on Princess although obviously at a higher price. If either Azamara or Oceania purchases the Pacific Princess, you will get a much better on board experience than Princess can ever provide.

DON

interesting... "Also, Princess does not give it's captains the flexibility to slightly modify cruise routes or cruise experiences to provide a better cruise for the passengers."

care to go into more detail on this about what/when ? :confused:

I disagree. The problem is that the Pacific Princess costs more but still provides a same lousy Princess experience. I just did a cruise on the Pacific because it had an itinerary that I wanted to do but I was not impressed w the service, the attitude of the crew or the fact that Princess is an expert at nickel and diming you to death. Also, Princess does not give it's captains the flexibility to slightly modify cruise routes or cruise experiences to provide a better cruise for the passengers.

I have been doing most of my recent cruising on Azamara and the shipboard experience is totally different than that on Princess although obviously at a higher price. If either Azamara or Oceania purchases the Pacific Princess, you will get a much better on board experience than Princess can ever provide.

DON

It sounds like a more premium cruise experience is what appeals to you. For me, the simple fact that the Pacific Princess doesn’t have art auctions and their associated announcements puts it in a different category than the other Princess ships.

I just spoke with my vacation planner and he did not even know about the Panama cancellation. As usual, the employees are the last to know. He knows nothing about the future of the Pacific, but will ask around. I wound up booking a back to back Caribbean on the Sky in March 2020 as the Pacific Panama itinerary in April 2020 didn't appeal to me.

If I hear anything back about the Pacific, I will let you all know.

Well maybe I'm being an optimist here, but why would Princess spend the money on a dry dock if they have sold her? If indeed she does get sold to Azamara they are going to do a total gut job so that she blends in with their fleet. Keeping my fingers crossed that she does indeed remain in the Princess fleet.

Exactly.....:):):)

Bob

DON

I have been on several Princess ships where the captain changed the ship's route.

Like I said, it's about profits. Yes, the bigger ships earn more money, but they are also more expensive to operate.

interesting... "Also, Princess does not give it's captains the flexibility to slightly modify cruise routes or cruise experiences to provide a better cruise for the passengers."

care to go into more detail on this about what/when ? :confused:

Yeah... like Costa? ;p

So were the Royal and the Ocean. They are now gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Still putting my money that she'll be doing Alaska in 2020. :)

Like I said, it's about profits. Yes, the bigger ships earn more money, but they are also more expensive to operate.

On a per passenger basis they are less expensive to operate. Also, the newer ships have more fuel efficient propulsion systems as well as more advanced hull designs which also add to fuel efficiency.

The pay for a Captain of a 4500 passenger ship may be more than that of a 690 passenger ship, but not over six times more.