Collecting Seapass cards at end of cruise?

Hypo

It has been reported by several posters that RCCL is starting to keep your Seapass card when you exit the ship on the last morning?

Why are they doing that?

I believe it is a security issue, and has only been done to us when we are on consecutive cruises. You can go to Guest Services and retrieve your old keys after the first day.

We have all of ours. Disembarked from Serenade in Boston in September and no issue.

Same here. Have my Anthem cruise of August 29th. Have a collection of them since I began sailing RCCL.:D

Same here. Have my Anthem cruise of August 29th. Have a collection of them since I began sailing RCCL.:D

My wife and I just disembarked from the Mariner yesterday (10/5) and we still have our Sea Pass cards. So, while RCCL may be taking Sea Passes on some ships, it is certainly not doing it on all ships (at least not yet).

I believe it is a security issue, and has only been done to us when we are on consecutive cruises. You can go to Guest Services and retrieve your old keys after the first day.

Quoting Bob as some seem to have missed the answer :D

Only for Back2Back cruisers.

• Like 1

We were asked for our cards on a Royal ship a few years ago. Since I keep all my cards, I refused to give it up. The officer at the disembark gate sighed and said, "OK." He took my name and cabin number and we left, with our cards. Apparently they sometimes use this as a way to make sure who has left the ship.

And this is always a way to prove how many cruises you have taken. When the list RCCL had of my cruises was missing one, I was able to provide a copy of the seacard to prove my sailing. If you are accumulating points to higher Crown and Anchor levels, this could be important.

Just got off a consecutive cruise ... Freedom Sept 8th & 15th and we have both of them..they didn't take them from us.

On my Mariner B2B 9-7-18 and 9-10-18, when we exited the ship for the 0 count they were collecting them. A lady ahead of me asked to keep hers so I did too, he gave it back but wrote down my cabin number on a list. So maybe they only keep them on B2B sailings but if you ask, you can keep it.

It has been reported by several posters that RCCL is starting to keep your Seapass card when you exit the ship on the last morning?

Why are they doing that?

Due to complaints from port area bars and restaurants with disembarking passengers expecting these establishments to allow drinks and meals to be charged to the seapass cards :D

• Haha 1

Why are they doing that?

Just thought, they have stopped plastic straws on board so I wonder if they want the plastic cards back to recycle properly.

We were asked for our cards on a Royal ship a few years ago. Since I keep all my cards, I refused to give it up. The officer at the disembark gate sighed and said, "OK." He took my name and cabin number and we left, with our cards. Apparently they sometimes use this as a way to make sure who has left the ship.

Why would they collect the sea pass for this purpose? They scan (ping sound) your card to accomplish this as they do when you embark/disembark in port of calls.

Why would they collect the sea pass for this purpose? They scan (ping sound) your card to accomplish this as they do when you embark/disembark in port of calls.

Most likely there´s a great number of reasons, but here´s two I´ve encountered in the past.

1. Problems with the computer system, so they simply collect the cards for the headcount and scan them out at a later point when the system is up again.

2. If they are running late and trying to get people off the ship as fast as possible, it´s much faster to simply collect the cards, than to scan them at the gangway. It´s faster to scan them after collecting than scanning them from the guests hands.

If it would get the norm to collect them, there would be an easy way to still keep them for the guests. Just go to GS mid cruise, tell them you´ve lost your card and they will issue a new one without a problem. The original one won´t work anymore, but it´s good to be sotwed away for keepsake.;)

Most likely there´s a great number of reasons, but here´s two I´ve encountered in the past.

1. Problems with the computer system, so they simply collect the cards for the headcount and scan them out at a later point when the system is up again.

2. If they are running late and trying to get people off the ship as fast as possible, it´s much faster to simply collect the cards, than to scan them at the gangway. It´s faster to scan them after collecting than scanning them from the guests hands.

If it would get the norm to collect them, there would be an easy way to still keep them for the guests. Just go to GS mid cruise, tell them you´ve lost your card and they will issue a new one without a problem. The original one won´t work anymore, but it´s good to be sotwed away for keepsake.;)

Another reason is that there is a grace period for the old cards to open the stateroom, so it's possible that someone would be able to get into another's stateroom for a while. There's also the port security issue.