Sales pressure at programmed events

CH_ca

New to Celebrity! After reading some Celebrity Todays, I really feel like going to some of those classes but really hate to be bothered by sales pitches. I've heard that Celebrity is classier and does not do pressure selling during their classes or seminars. Is that true?

There are topical seminars that have absolutely no sales.

There are presentations that provide information on stores in port that presumably give kickbacks to the cruise line.

There are "free" spa presentations that sell their for-fee spa services.

And the for-fee spa services have sales pressure for associated products at high additional cost.

6 hours ago, CH_ca said:

New to Celebrity! After reading some Celebrity Todays, I really feel like going to some of those classes but really hate to be bothered by sales pitches. I've heard that Celebrity is classier and does not do pressure selling during their classes or seminars. Is that true?

True, plus if you even remotely believe that you are being 'oversold' walk out as you have an appointment in the OVC...

No big deal or issue.

bon voyage

just walk out or away if a person starts a sales pitch that you are not interested in. Best not to waste your precious time . If you feel you need to say something then just say " I don't want to waste your time as nothing you will say will change my mind. Thank You

"

• Like 1

I’ve only taken one cruise so far, on the Summit last year. One of the unpleasant surprises for me was how much sales pitching there was. Every “open house,” “raffle,” or destination/shopping “guide” made me feel like the audience for an infomercial. I’m looking forward to another cruise in a few weeks, but I will avoid these activities and others that I’ve learned are nothing more than sales pitches. 

We noticed that on Celebrity too. We are currently on the Allure of the Seas, second leg of a B2B. First day we were on the ship we were approaced once promoting specialty restaurants and once for spa treatments, nothing since then. They do have tables set up in the Promanade and if you are interested, just stop and talk to them.

I stopped going to some of the 'seminars' because they were veiled attempts to get me to buy something.  Last one I went to was on how to sleep better.  After a few lame slides telling me things that were blatantly obvious, they started trying to sell me a certain pillow.  Prior to that, went to another health related one (can't recall the topic).  Ten minutes in I was listening to a strong pitch for their acupuncture service.  Stopped going to get massages because I got tired of the therapist pushing their creams and lotions at the end of it.  Many would not stop when you asked them to - they just kept pushing and pushing - and I am not shy about giving them a firm 'not interested'.  So much for the nice, calm feeling I had at the end of my massage!  (that was before Canyon Ranch took over - not sure if they still do that).

One of my biggest pet peeves is that Celebrity bills these 'seminars' as activities on their day-planner and brags about how many activities they have each day.  Haven't done a calculation but I would guess at least 1/3 (probably more) of the so-called activities are either right upfront about having a fee, or are hidden marketing pushes.  

All that said, there is still plenty to occupy your time and I still enjoy sailing Celebrity.  I just avoid these things.

• Like 1

I have been cruising since 1999, on Princess, RCI and how Celebrity. I have never understood the complaints on all lines about spa techs pushing their over-priced products. I just tell them up front not to give me a sales pitch as I won't be buying anything. Never a problem after that. Yes, your best bet is the "Beyond the Podium" presentations. 

• Like 1

I gave up on Canyon Ranch because the method of saying beforehand that I didn't want a sales pitch didn't work. The last two massages I had the techs continued with the sales pitch. Although I have no problem at all saying no, I like to relax and have quiet, so now I skip it altogether. As far as the spa seminars, OP should know that they are all thinly veiled marketing ploys. If you choose to go to them, know beforehand that they will be trying to sell something. If you are bothered by that, choose another activity, there are plenty. Don't feel guilty about saying no. It's your vacation, your time and your money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

There are presentations that provide information on stores in port that presumably give kickbacks to the cruise line.

On our recent Infinity cruise, the "shopping expert" lied from the start when he claimed is his TV show that the theater would be full and that there would be loads of giveaways. The theater wasn't even half full and he had only a couple of giveaways. I know these guys and/or the cruise lines are getting kickbacks I figured if he couldn't be trusted to be honest about simple stuff like that, none of what he said about what and where to buy should be believed.

Edited by MisterBill99

Went to a so called health seminar on infinity in the gym area.. Towards the end it became clear it was a commercial for very expensive algae pills on a subscription basis.. When people started to leave, the presenter became totally rude and nasty..

Would never fall for this scam again

9 hours ago, hcat said:

Went to a so called health seminar on infinity in the gym area.. Towards the end it became clear it was a commercial for very expensive algae pills on a subscription basis.. When people started to leave, the presenter became totally rude and nasty..

Would never fall for this scam again

I think by definition any talk in the Spa area (including fitness center) is an attempt to sell you something.

we never have an issue with high pressure sales pitches on Celebrity.  AS said above, we tell the spa people we are not interested in buying any products other than the massage we reserved and they always leave us alone.  We never get any sales pressures anywhere else on the ship.  There are stations set up for specialty dining, but if you are not interested, just walk by.  We never go to the port shopping talks, as we feel this is a waste of our time.  Dont worry, just enjoy your cruise

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, 39august said:

I have been cruising since 1999, on Princess, RCI and how Celebrity. I have never understood the complaints on all lines about spa techs pushing their over-priced products. I just tell them up front not to give me a sales pitch as I won't be buying anything. Never a problem after that. Yes, your best bet is the "Beyond the Podium" presentations. 

That sounds like a logical approach.  Unfortunately, I have tried that several times and it never stopped them - not even once.  Still tried to push the products.  So I gave up on massages onboard - I know I shouldn't let it get to me but it does.  Agree about the Beyond the Podium events - those are generally very good.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sippican said:

Tell the massage therapist beforehand that you will not tip (or you will remove the tip) if he/she makes a sales pitch!

Now that's an interesting idea.  I have tried telling them ahead of time I am not interested and that never worked.  Throwing in the tip comment might do the trick!  

1 hour ago, sippican said:

Tell the massage therapist beforehand that you will not tip (or you will remove the tip) if he/she makes a sales pitch!

When you go out to a restaurant, do you tell your server upfront that you will not tip them if they ask if you want to add sauteed mushrooms with your steak or offer a name brand alcohol? I ask because it's the same thing. You're extorting them from trying to do their job.

Don't get me wrong, most of us hate and don't want to deal with the high pressure sales, but it's how they make money. I would venture to say, and I'm totally speculating with a very novice guess, that the cruise fares paid are how they pay for the operation of the trip...the food, the fuel, the labor wages, etc. I'm guessing they break even with the cost to run the ship and the fares paid for by each passenger. They start to make a profit from alcohol, excursions, specialty restaurants, the spa, the stores. Of course they are going to ask you. I expect it. I also agree there is a fine line they need to understand. If they cross that line, my reactive response is based on what happened. I would never start off with a threat of removing their tip. 

When celebrity cut their activities staff, they needed to fill the days activities with events.  They created events run by the concessions on board....things like the chocolate diamond grand opening, etc.  looking at events, you can pretty much tell which are real .. eg trivia, dance lessons...and the masked sales activities...the history of Rolex watches, the art events.  They also now list activities like..mahjong and games 24 hours, open ping pong etc which really are fillers to make the number of events look longer.

there still are some excellent speakers and other events...you just have to sift thru them which you can do very easily.

49 minutes ago, txflood33 said:

When you go out to a restaurant, do you tell your server upfront that you will not tip them if they ask if you want to add sauteed mushrooms with your steak or offer a name brand alcohol? I ask because it's the same thing. You're extorting them from trying to do their job.

Don't get me wrong, most of us hate and don't want to deal with the high pressure sales, but it's how they make money. I would venture to say, and I'm totally speculating with a very novice guess, that the cruise fares paid are how they pay for the operation of the trip...the food, the fuel, the labor wages, etc. I'm guessing they break even with the cost to run the ship and the fares paid for by each passenger. They start to make a profit from alcohol, excursions, specialty restaurants, the spa, the stores. Of course they are going to ask you. I expect it. I also agree there is a fine line they need to understand. If they cross that line, my reactive response is based on what happened. I would never start off with a threat of removing their tip. 

No I do not, for one simple reason; I have never received high-pressure tactics from a restaurant server equal to the level of the spas on the cruise ships. A simple "No thank you" is usually sufficient in a restaurant; from experience, not so at the spa! It's not the same thing at all and certainly your use of the word "extorting" , based on your guess and speculation, is a bit of an exaggeration. Have you had a spa massage? It's meant to be relaxing and serene. If having a silent therapist is one's personal preference, they are entitled to it. No guarantee there's going to be a tip at the end either way. Perhaps it will be even larger if they don't push the sales., Regarless, extortion or not, it has worked for me, and I tip accordingly.

Edited by sippican
  • Like 2

I use the spa on every cruise we take, and this past Summit cruise two weeks ago was no exception.  I put a clear statement on the form I filled out on the first visit - "No product sales please - I do not buy" and to the credit of the spa employee she never once mentioned a single product she used.  

What I found more annoying was the constant "You should buy a drink package" once the bar servers found out we did not have one for the first two days of the trip.  One server alluded to the fact that they earn a commission on every one they sell, and stated "I'll be in this lounge every day - you buy a package, take care of me...and I'll be sure to take care of you.  We'll help each other..."

I enjoy spa days but find fending off sales pitches the opposite of relaxing or pleasant.

When I fill out the consultation form in the relaxation area I note that I already  have a delightful and carefully developed self-care regimen that I use at home. Then, when we review my form, I explain that I'm willing to switch it up and accept their recommendations during this treatment but please don't presume to suggest any ongoing changes or new products to take home since they are only working with me on a very temporary basis in a unique situation, very different from my usual environment. Most times, that is honored. Occasionally I have to say, "If it's okay, I prefer to simply experience the products you use rather than learn about them. It's much more relaxing that way."  I've never had anyone persist after that but I'm prepared with back up: I keep earphones in my spa-bag and can simply ask them to pass it to me so I can put them in explaining that  I'm going to try to "tune out distractions" so I can focus on the experience.

It also helps if you don't compliment the products used during treatment. That can easily be construed as an invitation to discuss the product or imply that you would be interested in buying the product. Something as simple as, "that smells nice" can lead to a discussion of the blend of "20 aromatics and therapeutics that make this product so unique". 

Once, when I had high-pressure sales from a particular spa before, I put my earphones in before we even started explaining that I had a relaxing playlist I wanted to use. 

• Like 1

Easy to simply inform the  spa therapist that you buy your Elemis or CR products on line.. Can often get discounts, samples and free shipping esp for Elemis..no point buying on the ship and carrying it home...

At first CR did not go for selling but eventually became just like Steiner,  Actually happy that a  Steiner related company will be back on EDGE,,