AQ class cruisers - tell me about your spa concierge

Tao Diva

My DD and I are both into new-age and holistic healing (I'm a RN nurse educator, herbalist and trainer while she is a Reiki practitioner and massage therapist.) We are looking to treat ourselves to a health and spa cruise to commune with mother ocean and be on the receiving side of some spa treatments. 

My first thought was a Celebrity cruise in Aqua Class. In addition to indulging in some self-care using the thermal suite and dining in BLU, I would like to indulge in some body treatments. Tell me how the spa concierge works. Do I give them a list of the treatments I'd like and just let them schedule me around my shore excursions, mealtimes, and shows? Or do I arrange my own schedule and tell them when I want this or that? What if something else comes up that I'd like to see or do? Will the concierge adjust my appointments for me? I know a tip is added to the treatments themselves, but when and how should I tip the concierge and what is the customary gratuity? Do I arrange my spa treatment schedule through the concierge in advance on the first day or one day at a time while onboard? I've had spa treatments on cruise ships before but this will be my first Celebrity cruise and my first time sailing is a special spa-oriented stateroom class. 

I'd really like to hear from Aqua-cruisers about their spa experiences and their relationship with the spa concierge. 

Thank you.

Our first time sailing on Celebrity was in AQ because I read that it was supposed to be a for those that want a healthier cruising experience.  

We enjoyed AQ but didn’t find it to be anything healthier.   It was an enjoyable experience with the shower panel,  use of the Persian Gardens and some little extra added perks in the cabin.  

Blu is a nice smaller more intimate dining room than  the MDR.  The food is supposed to be clean cuisine.  The food is supposed to be prepared using products other than lard or bacon grease and etc.  Think olive oil instead of butter etc.  Couldn’t prove it by me as the sweet rolls in the morning and the bread at night is the same as served in the MDR.  They are suppose to use lighter sauces and soups.  I don’t think cream of anything is lighter and there are many sauces and soups that are made with it.  

Never used or seen a Spa Concierge.  There are many employees in the Spa that are more than willing to schedule and recommend treatments and naturally they will all cure your problems or issues along with the products they sell.  

We enjoy AQ and have sailed many times in it but I doubt if anyone would seriously think there is anything any healthier about it after being in one.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We've cruised in AQ class a few times, & usually booked multiple spa treatments.  Each time we've visited the spa, usually on the day we embark, to book & plan.  If there's an actual spa "concierge" dedicated to those in aqua class, then I haven't met them yet.  There's usually some specials if you book a package, for example, 3 or 4 massages over  a two week cruise will get you a discount over booking them individually.  The main draw of AQ is the inclusion of Blu, which is much more quiet with better service & food (my opinion only) than the MDR.  You also get access to the persian gardens (very nice on S class ships)  I'm assuming you're both super fit & into the gym,  you're pretty much on your own there with the machines & such, no free trainers, but you can book a personal training session if you want, otherwise the equipment is the same stuff you'd see in your gym back home... most of the yoga classes are an additional fee.  Hope this helps.  Enjoy :)

Edit to add:  there's no real dedicated running track on S class, it cuts through the lounging chair areas, which people will pull out to block the track, you're better off either running the  inside stairs midday when no-one is around, or waiting for a treadmill, which aren't too bad, they have a nice view. 

Edited by cruise kitty
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tao Diva said:

My DD and I are both into new-age and holistic healing (I'm a RN nurse educator, herbalist and trainer while she is a Reiki practitioner and massage therapist.) We are looking to treat ourselves to a health and spa cruise to commune with mother ocean and be on the receiving side of some spa treatments. 

My first thought was a Celebrity cruise in Aqua Class. In addition to indulging in some self-care using the thermal suite and dining in BLU, I would like to indulge in some body treatments. Tell me how the spa concierge works. Do I give them a list of the treatments I'd like and just let them schedule me around my shore excursions, mealtimes, and shows? Or do I arrange my own schedule and tell them when I want this or that? What if something else comes up that I'd like to see or do? Will the concierge adjust my appointments for me? I know a tip is added to the treatments themselves, but when and how should I tip the concierge and what is the customary gratuity? Do I arrange my spa treatment schedule through the concierge in advance on the first day or one day at a time while onboard? I've had spa treatments on cruise ships before but this will be my first Celebrity cruise and my first time sailing is a special spa-oriented stateroom class. 

I'd really like to hear from Aqua-cruisers about their spa experiences and their relationship with the spa concierge. 

Thank you.

AQ class is not like a suite class  cabin...where you have a butler in some categories and a concierge to assist with res, appointments etc,  It's do it yourself,

.We have been in AQ class since inception...never met an AQ  concierge and never needed one,  You can book your own treatments on line via your Cruise Planner, Cost  will be charged to your credit card or you can apply OBC..Prices now online do show discounted times for port pricing. If you prefer you can book onboard.,,go directly to the spa or sometimes they have sign ups outside the lunch buffet on boarding day.,If you book this way,  I suggest you get all times and pricing in writing,,,initialed by person who took your booking,  Spa in M and S Class is still Canyon Ranch,..in EDGE it's a new entity related to Steiner , the old spa co on X.  They will also give you a tour of the spa,

AQ class includes unlimited access to the  Persian Gardens,,.,arrange for visits at spa desk...It is very nice with sea views in S Class...interior in M Class   and looks awesome on EDGE,,.There is also a nice sauna not part of AQ class in the womens locker rm on S class ships.

I have enjoyed many spa oriented vacations on Celebrity combining the Solarium area, spa  treatments and Persian Gardens and  the gym,,,..they have extra fee yoga, etc But it's self planning!  

For us dining in BLU is also a big AQ class plus

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by hcat

I have to echo the previous posters. If there's a spa concierge he or she is cleverly disguised as an apparition. It's always been do it yourself. The Persian garden is nice and relaxing and on S class ships comes with a beautiful sea view.

Curious, I went over to the good old Celebrity website and sure enough, it says there will be a spa concierge:

Amenities

Exclusive Access to Blu Specialty Restaurant

Welcome bottle of sparkling wine

Welcome bottled water

Daily delivery of flavored tea

Pillow menu

Premium Bath Amenities (500ml Bottles) (Co Bigelow)

Plush 100% cotton bathrobes, slippers and towels

Plush Bathrobes

Celebrity tote bag

Shoeshine service, use of golf umbrella and marine grade binoculars

Stateroom Features

Premium ship location close to the Spa

Veranda with lounge seating (Infinite Veranda on Edge)

Celebrity's eXhaleTM bedding featuring the Cashmere Matress

Grohe® Shower panel

Aromatherapy diffuser

Interactive Television system

Individual safe

Dual voltage 110/220 AC

Mini-fridge*

Hair dryer

Dining

Expanded room service breakfast menu

Services

Unlimited access to the SEA Thermal Suite

Priority Check-in

Spa Concierge

Wellness Consultations Specified to Guests Preferences

Personal Training Sessions - Hot Yoga, TRX, etc*

Special invitation to a VIP tour of the spa on embarkation day

Laundry service*

Twice daily housekeeping service

Our signature friendly, personalized service with a guest to staff ratio of nearly 2:1

Complimentary beach towel service

Complimentary shoeshine service

But then, the website is notoriously inaccurate, and why does it list both

Plush Bathrobes

???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Curious, I went over to the good old Celebrity website and sure enough, it says there will be a spa concierge:

Amenities

Welcome bottle of sparkling wine

Welcome bottled water

Daily delivery of flavored tea

Pillow menu

Premium Bath Amenities (500ml Bottles) (Co Bigelow)

Plush Bathrobes

Celebrity tote bag

Shoeshine service, use of golf umbrella and marine grade binoculars

Stateroom Features

Premium ship location close to the Spa

Veranda with lounge seating (Infinite Veranda on Edge)

Grohe® Shower panel

Aromatherapy diffuser

Individual safe

Dual voltage 110/220 AC

Mini-fridge*

Hair dryer

Dining

Expanded room service breakfast menu

Services

Unlimited access to the SEA Thermal Suite

Priority Check-in

Spa Concierge

Wellness Consultations Specified to Guests Preferences

Personal Training Sessions - Hot Yoga, TRX, etc*

Special invitation to a VIP tour of the spa on embarkation day

Laundry service*

Our signature friendly, personalized service with a guest to staff ratio of nearly 2:1

Complimentary shoeshine service

But then, the website is notoriously inaccurate, and why does it list both

Plush Bathrobes

???

Perhaps I've missed the spa concierge because I've skipped the "special invitation to a VIP tour of the spa on embarkation day." Whenever I've read that invitation my brain translated it to read "special invitation to a high pressure sales pitch" and I've skipped it!😜 As far as the website we can all agree that they only thing consistent about it is its inconsistency! And here's another question. What is "complimentary beach towel service?" Does that enable me to somehow go to the pool deck and get one myself differently than when I'm sailing in a cabin class other than Aqua? Just curious.

Thanks all. Especially Cruisestitch who reassured me that I was not, in fact, hallucinating. (I knew I saw "spa concierge" somewhere!) 

I know cruise spa treatments are overpriced and I know they work hard to upsell you on products, but I am preparing my budget acordingly and I do have enough experience with cruise spas in general to have developed an effective "no thanks" reply. 

I was hoping to find out what this "spa concierge" role is and how they help. I guess it's just a fancy way to reframe the ordinary process of calling the front desk  to schedule an appointment. 

• Like 1

I would reiterate that if you book onboard with a specially offered price to make sure you get that in writing.  Both the discount and the name of the person who gave it to you.  I've heard lots of horror stories about people turning up for their appointments and the discount was not honored without proof.

• Like 1

Try finding the pillow menu. 

Cabins close to the Spa?   Only if you have one that is in the front 1/4 of the the ship and then you are under the gym with the treadmills.  In the middle you deal with the pool above and a large overhang that the sun lovers don’t like.

Priority check in is a joke as almost everyone has some kind of a priority considering all of the suites, AQ, CC and Elite members.

The diffuser stinks up the cabin if it has anything in it.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Beach towel service is also listed for inside rooms -- they do bring beach towels to your stateroom the night before a potential beach day, so you won't take the bath towels from the stateroom, or the pool towels

It's funny what is listed for each class of stateroom.  Like the ice delivery service.  It's given to all, but it's specified on the interior room features on the website.

Oh, and the dining service in Blu is not "exclusive" to Aqua Class.  Suite passengers can also dine there on a space available basis.  Celebrity plays fast and loose with the term "exclusive".

Interior Room:

Amenities

Four pillows in every stateroom

Premium Custom blended bath products

Celebrity Shopping Bag

Stateroom Features

Queen size bed convertibe to two lower beds (except noted)

Some staterooms may have a trundle bed

Plentiful storage space in your bathroom and wardrobe

Individual safe

Dual voltage 110/220 AC

Mini-fridge*

Hair dryer

Services

Our signature friendly personalized service with a guest ratio of nearly 2:1

Laundry service*

Fresh ice delivered to stateroom upon request

Dining

Complimentary breakfast, lunch, and dinner in a variety of restaurants

24-hour room service**

*Additional charges apply
**Late night fee of $4.95 between 11pm-6am

40 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Beach towel service is also listed for inside rooms -- they do bring beach towels to your stateroom the night before a potential beach day, so you won't take the bath towels from the stateroom, or the pool towels

It's funny what is listed for each class of stateroom.  Like the ice delivery service.  It's given to all, but it's specified on the interior room features on the website.

Oh, and the dining service in Blu is not "exclusive" to Aqua Class.  Suite passengers can also dine there on a space available basis.  Celebrity plays fast and loose with the term "exclusive".

Interior Room:

Amenities

Celebrity Shopping Bag

Stateroom Features

Individual safe

Dual voltage 110/220 AC

Mini-fridge*

Hair dryer

Services

Laundry service*

Dining

24-hour room service**

Used to also say exclusive access to the Relaxation room, I don't see that anymore...

We always get the upgraded robes, but are very heavy so we ask to swap out for the waffle robes instead..

Spa concierge is listed someplace in the paperwork, sometimes...but relates to AQ class  rather than the Spa entity.

I avoid the upsells by telling them I have more priducts than they do...from the website,,,with discounts, free samples and often free shiping,

Port pricing and  combo specials announced in the dailies are priced okay...for a resort.

• 3 weeks later...

New to Celebrity but finally figured this out.   The Spa Concierge does exist!   I was able to pre-book and confirm sea day spa appointments for a cruise just over 30 days out using the contact below.  It is on the promotional pages, but not in any confirmation or part of the cruise planner.   I received a response 12 hours later with confirmation (including stating they confirmed the appointment with the ship since if you prebook via cruise planner it gives you a generic message about possibly changing the times based on different circumstance).     The agent also noted the appointment for no product sales pitches (which I also dislike).  

Contact your concierge to discuss your wellness Journey:

844-860-4662 or spaconcierge@canyonranch.com

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, boatdc said:

New to Celebrity but finally figured this out.   The Spa Concierge does exist!   I was able to pre-book and confirm sea day spa appointments for a cruise just over 30 days out using the contact below.  It is on the promotional pages, but not in any confirmation or part of the cruise planner.   I received a response 12 hours later with confirmation (including stating they confirmed the appointment with the ship since if you prebook via cruise planner it gives you a generic message about possibly changing the times based on different circumstance).     The agent also noted the appointment for no product sales pitches (which I also dislike).  

Contact your concierge to discuss your wellness Journey:

844-860-4662 or spaconcierge@canyonranch.com

Thanks for the info! Always learning.:classic_smile:

On 11/9/2018 at 12:09 PM, cruisestitch said:

Interior Room:

Amenities

Celebrity Shopping Bag

Stateroom Features

Individual safe

Dual voltage 110/220 AC

Mini-fridge*

Hair dryer

Services

Laundry service*

Dining

24-hour room service**

I think listing ice delivery service for interior rooms is sort of like when you peruse real estate listings for starter homes... "ceiling fans! fresh paint!" Sometimes you gotta play up what you got 🙂

Well we are at the stage now with price drops of being able to move up from a 1A on the hump on deck 7 with a huge balcony to an Aqua cabin at no extra cost on deck 11 and i’m not sure we want to do it. I think the only real benefit for us would be Blue but we like the speciality restaurants.