New Carnival Smoking Policy

Kankakee Kid

smoking in the cabin is very obvious and the smell lingers for ever. Smoking on the balcony, there is so much wind it dissipates immediately. I have smelled cigs and pot on the balcony and never was able to pinpoint if it was above, below, left or right. A few years ago I met a neighbor on the balcony and she asked me if she minded if she smoked. I said as long as I was not outside on the same tie. I never smelled her smoke.

1 hour ago, coevan said:

smoking in the cabin is very obvious and the smell lingers for ever. Smoking on the balcony, there is so much wind it dissipates immediately. I have smelled cigs and pot on the balcony and never was able to pinpoint if it was above, below, left or right. A few years ago I met a neighbor on the balcony and she asked me if she minded if she smoked. I said as long as I was not outside on the same tie. I never smelled her smoke.

I just got off the Breeze and people were smoking in a lot of balconies and you coulddef smell it (and see it).  There is a reason they make rule changes.....

2 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

People are going to sneak cigarettes and weed on their balconies.  It's just going to happen.  If those sneaks would simply vape with a nice cherry or berry flavor, I think people won't realize what they're smelling.  I can see them calling security.  "I smell GRAPES on my balcony!  Someone nearby has GRAPES! It must stop!"

The cheaters cheat and the sneaks sneak.

Be careful what you say. I got a warning for saying stealers steal. 

If they enforce this rule then-enforce all rules. Chairhogging, cheaters at trivia, seat saving at shows, people that don't use hand sanitizer, kids unattended, babies with diapers in pools etc etc. Smoking is the least of the problems on a boat and gets the most attention. At least you can ignore the smokers, you can't do anything about all the other rule breakers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Carnival is a capitalistic corporation that knows first hand (remember Paradise...?) smokers spend and drink more than those who don't smoke. As much as it makes me cringe and roll my eyes, nothing will change. I keep putting the disgusting smoking situation on their ships down on my surveys as the reason I rate them middle of the road, but it won't end until there is a financial incentive for them to make things better for the majority of passengers that don't smoke.

My suggestion on the surveys is to designate the smoker's prison cell at the back of the ships only so the rest of us don't have to avoid one side or the other in the middle of the ship just to avoid the smell.

4 hours ago, coevan said:

I would have said that I minded it and that I would report it.

DON

13 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

This just reminded me of the ship (possibly Princess?) that had a major balcony fire years ago.  I want to show the photos to my SO, who had never cruised before we met, and a Google search didn’t help.  Does anyone remember which ship that was?

7 hours ago, TubT said:

You've seen the pictures of the fire on the Princess ship, and you still wouldn't report it?

Not promoting smoking in any way, but just realize that when you try to use the Star Princess fire as an example of the dangers of smoking on a balcony, know that the official report on the fire concluded that the "most likely" cause was a cigarette, since no definitive cause could be found.  So, there was no evidence to prove the cigarette caused the fire, there was no evidence of a cigarette, and only reports of cigarettes landing on balconies on previous days of the cruise.  Also know that when the investigators attempted to ignite a Princess towel using a cigarette, under ideal conditions, they could not replicate their own presumed fire scenario.

Also know that as a result of the Star Princess fire, all balconies had to be either equipped with a sprinkler, or with low-combustible or self-extinguishing materials for all structure and furnishings, so it is far less likely that another Star Princess balcony fire would happen.  Also limiting the effect of a balcony fire is the requirement that balcony dividers be non-flammable, and able to be opened, to allow the fire teams to move from one balcony to the next.  This is the reason dividers can open, not for passenger convenience.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Cushing985 said:

They're aren't being accused of murder.  I've found people will quit smoking out there with a little peer pressure (passenger to passenger).

I faced plenty of peer pressure when I was a smoker. It took a heart attack to get me to quit.

If you report someone, you better make sure you have the right cabin/balcony your reporting. That's all you need is a disgruntled neighbor. And what if you accuse someone, but it wasn't them? Do the accused get anything for dealing with this? It works both ways. So all you ppl jumping for joy, better make sure you know for a fact who it is and good luck proving it. 

17 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

If you report someone, you better make sure you have the right cabin/balcony your reporting. That's all you need is a disgruntled neighbor. And what if you accuse someone, but it wasn't them? Do the accused get anything for dealing with this? It works both ways. So all you ppl jumping for joy, better make sure you know for a fact who it is and good luck proving it. 

It's Carnivals problem to deal with it.  

16 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

I don't have to prove anything but if I'm going to make a report then I will be making sure that I know where it is originating.

2 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

True, but if you falsely accuse someone there MAY be some bad blood between neighbors. Good luck with that!!

"Hi, I'm in room XXXX and I smell smoke from my balcony; can you please check for the source?" 

Simple.   

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't have to prove anything but if I'm going to make a report then I will be making sure that I know where it is originating.

Ok, and how will you know where its originating? You going to lean over the rail and take a picture? LOL

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

"Hi, I'm in room XXXX and I smell smoke from my balcony; can you please check for the source?" 

Simple.   

Yeah its easy to RAT on someone, but getting any kind of a result would be tricky. Just saying.

3 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

Ok, and how will you know where its originating? You going to lean over the rail and take a picture? LOL

Sometimes it is very obvious.  My neighbors on Independence of the Seas were smoking before we even left port last year at this time; we were sitting on the balcony, heard them open the door and come outside, and almost immediately smoke appeared.  I had to go to Guest Services for another reason that evening and also stated that there was balcony smoking in cabin ****.  I have no idea what happened, but that was the last time it happened.

7 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

I wouldn't take a picture but I would verify where it is coming from. You can call me whatever you want, they are breaking the rules, not me. I gave up a third of a lung to lung cancer from my smoking and my wife's asthma is exacerbated by smoke so I have no sympathy for anyone breaking these rules (and when I was a smoker I always made sure that I was smoking in an authorized area).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I wouldn't take a picture but I would verify where it is coming from. You can call me whatever you want, they are breaking the rules, not me. I gave up a third of a lung to lung cancer from my smoking and my wife's asthma is exacerbated by smoke so I have no sympathy for anyone breaking these rules (and when I was a smoker I always made sure that I was smoking in an authorized area).

I understand Sparks, and feel for you and your wife. I'm just stating that its so hard to prove sometimes.

Bull Mahogany !     The two worst ships I have ever cruised on for a smokers delight was Vista and the Breeze.  

On those ships smoke could gag a maggot . and the smokers didn't care where they smoked , no enforcement what so ever.   The second day on Vista heavy smoke and pot smokers next to us on our cove balcony. The daughter in law called and complained. We received a letter debarkation morning saying they were trying to reach us about the smoking problem.  It's a joke waiting to happen.

24 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

I understand Sparks, and feel for you and your wife. I'm just stating that its so hard to prove sometimes.

It is not up to you to prove it.  You simply call and say somebody is smoking, I think it may be xxxx cabin.  They have cameras on pretty much every balcony and can see what is going on, if they want to find somebody doing it, they will.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dsotm73 said:

Just curious why Carnival would toughen a policy no one here seems to think they would enforce?

The fact of the matter is that no company wants any part in taking this kind of action. From negative PR, to loss of revenue, to even lawsuits. It's a mess. Especially from all of the reports/complaints they get from busybodies daily. 

The reason for the fine increase is a deterrent. As punishments get more severe, people tend to not want to risk it as much. There absolutely will be people hit by it, but not every case.