8:55 AM Flight?

We are arriving back at Port Everglades on Sunday Feb 17/19 on Harmony.  Ship should dock at 6:15 AM.  Would I be crazy to book a flight at 8:55 AM?  We can get off the ship early with help from the suite concierge, and we also have TSA Pre Check.  Am I crazy?  Never booked such an early flight before, but we live in Seattle and the difference in the time we get home is HUGE if I take a later flight.

It would work if everything is on time, but you aren't leaving any time for contingencies.  Are you willing to accept paying airline change fees and having to wait for hours or until the next day for an available flight if something goes wrong?

3 minutes ago, fridaythe13th said:

Not sure what airline you are flying, but some require you to have your bags checked an hour before take off.  

True.  With Southwest I believe it's 45 minutes.  They will still take bags after that, but if the bags don't make it on your flight, they won't deliver them to your house/hotel for free.

You would have to depend on perfect weather in order for ship to arrive on schedule, no problems with the ship during its cruise and FAST inspections by Homeland Security upon arrival to be able to make that flight. Too many variables that would have to come into play for it to work. I wouldn't do it.

Saturday and Sunday mornings in winter months there will be several ships arriving in Port Everglades, with as many as 25,000 pax, many of them flying out of FLL that day.  Airport will be a zoo.  Even with TSA pre check I wouldn't risk a flight that early.  Too many things could occur that could make you miss your flight.

Edited by voyager70

2 hours ago, Heathera40 said:

Ship should dock at 6:15 AM.  

The operative word here is should......and you are not considering hold ups by customs, weather delay, i.e. fog, and other ship related issues.    I was told CCL Legend would be docking at 630AM.   We got off the ship at 2PM.   There was nothing that CCL could do about it.  I just felt sorry for the folks standing in blocks long line outside to embark.  

I made an 8 am flight out of fll on Adventure last Sunday. It was very close. Ship was cleared at 6:50am. I was first off ship in cab and at gate (have tsa precheck) at 7:20. If anything went wrong I would not have made it. However, HOS clears earlier than Adventure. I would take a chance. Better than rotting in the airport for hours.

Edited by crbonfiber

As long as you are comfortable with alternate plans, then I'd say go for it.  I've sailed 3 different Oasis class ships out of Port Everglades and been off every single one of them and through customs before 7AM and I wasn't even lined up early.  I just walk down at 6:45 and walk off.   If you lined up early to be first, and everything was on time (as it usually is) - you could easily make an 8:55AM flight.  But there is really no wiggle room.  

If you are a highly anxious traveler, then probably not worth it.  If you are the "well, if I miss the flight I'll take another one later or the next day" type personality, then give it a whirl.  If you are asking if it's reasonably possible to make the flight under normal conditions, the answer is a simple "yes".

There are so many variables to consider.  For most I would not recommend anything before AT LEAST 10am.  For myself though, I've booked 8:30-ish flights several times after an Oasis-class ship cruise and made it fine.  BUT, (and it's an important but) I can and do self-disembark and am in line before self disembarkation begins, I have Global Entry which gets me to the front of the customs line in the terminal at Port Everglades, I take a cab so no waiting on Uber or a ship transfer, I have status with Delta so get Sky Priority check in for bags at airport, and my GE gets me TSA Precheck for security.  Should I miss my flight, my status with Delta gets me somewhat priority accommodations for rebooking, though I've never had to put that to the test post-cruise (but it has helped in numerous other situations).  And these early flights have been specifically for Oasis class cruises, since those ships dock earlier than most.