things stolen - what would you do?

InGearX

20 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

If I found someone’s coats in my closet when I entered my cabin, I’d assume the previous passengers left them behind. I’d hand them off to a crew member. I really doubt anyone wants to start their vacation by stealing 2 huge coats that they’ll have to get off of the ship. There is not a big resell market for coats (especially fur), and who wants to have coats on a Caribbean cruise? I’d start at lost and found.

This is exactly my thought.  My assumption would be that somebody disembarked and accidentally left their coats behind. 

28 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

No, we don't know for sure but if the passengers did talk to security onboard then my presumption is that security would have checked lost and found and since the coats were still missing/misplaced that tells me that they likely were taken. I think that someone mentioned there not being a big market for coats but eBay seems to have a lot of used clothing for sale, including coats. Whoever took them might not be able to get the full value of $2000 (if that is really what they are worth) but they would get more than nothing, probably at least several hundred per coat if they really are of any quality. 

Too many “ifs” at this point to start saying they were “taken”.

We do not know if OP’s mom thought to check lost and found, where they might still be.

We do not know that the unoccupied cabin  was ever occupied- the coats might still be there.

We do not know the real condition/value of the coats.  The occupant of the cabin might have found what he saw as a couple of stained, ratty looking raincoats and simply found a trash receptacle for them.

(Remember - we are relying on second hand information which originated with the kind of ditz who would leave coats in someone else’s cabin.)

At this point, we have only been advised that they were carelessly left somewhere - which may, or may not, have been adjacent to where the above mentioned ditz THOUGHT her cabin was.

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not knowing too much about ladies' fashion, I googled, and found that even blazers can go for $2000.  The other problem is that the cruise ticket contract sets limits on valuables, and states that if you have anything of value above this limit, you must report it when boarding.

I have a Hong Kong tailor I have been using for about 35 years.

One time I was there, and he showed me some special fabric, that he would make into a suit for me at half off.  It came with the cloth, silk lining, buttons, everything needed.

I pressed on the half off, and was told it would be half the price from London or Paris.  The cloth was a mixture of pashmina and another top quality material.

Bottom line, my price would have been a mere $32 THOUSAND. 😄 

22 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Too many “ifs” at this point to start saying they were “taken”.

We do not know if OP’s mom thought to check lost and found, where they might still be.

We do not know that the unoccupied cabin  was ever occupied- the coats might still be there.

We do not know the real condition/value of the coats.  The occupant of the cabin might have found what he saw as a couple of stained, ratty looking raincoats and simply found a trash receptacle for them.

(Remember - we are relying on second hand information which originated with the kind of ditz who would leave coats in someone else’s cabin.)

At this point, we have only been advised that they were carelessly left somewhere - which may, or may not, have been adjacent to where the above mentioned ditz THOUGHT her cabin was.

Yes, we are discussing a hypothetical situation with a lot of unknown variables. I'm not going to go back and re-read OP's posts but I do believe that she did mention that security was contacted. If true then I would be greatly surprised if their first response would be to check to see if anything was turned in. Had they been turned in then they would have been returned to their owners. Had they been returned to their owners then the OP would have had not needed to post. So, if there are/were coats and they were left in another cabin then they are still missing and I would say hypothetically at this point that they will remain missing. Hypothetically of course.

4 hours ago, nolatravelgirl said:

CCTV is for the protection of the company. They don't want to get into disputes between two passengers.

Plus, there are privacy issues that could be a problem by letting a passenger review the videos. 

Edited by sloopsailor

On 12/16/2018 at 1:01 AM, CruiseGal999 said:

I do not believe you when you say that security can NOT view their OWN security footage.  That is #1 where this falls apart. 

Secondly, WHY would someone/anyone put their personal belongings in a cabin that was NOT their own cabin!  That doesn't compute ... on any level. This is a coat check room!  If I am wearing a $2000+ fur coat ... I am NOT leaving it in a cabin that doesn't belong to ME/MY reservation!  

Thirdly, ALL cabins are locked.  NONE are unlocked ... how did they get INTO the cabin?  

This doesn't fly ... on a lot of levels. 

[/quote]

Excellent analysis

2 minutes ago, h_blond2 said:

This entire story seems completely made up. Why in the world would someone put their expensive coats (or anything of any value) in a random room? If someone actually did that, their own stupidity would be to blame for any problems.

Perhaps the soundest comment;  it is refreshing to come across someone who comprehends a situation.

• Like 1

Never did OP say that the ladies simply knocked on the neighbors door to ASK if they'd found a couple of coats.

What are the odds that the neighbor recognized the value (if there really is any value to a previously worn old-lady coat) and then try to hide it?  Like, what would THEY do with it?

But, as to security cameras... We were on NCL Epic over Christmas last year, and got scammed by an employee at the reservations desk. (Long story short, he was selling tix for 'sold out' shows for cash - he got fired).  NCL security had multiple camera views of the area, and we were shown them all as we walked through the multiple interactions we had with him at the desk, entering the show lounge, and elevator lobby. They had LOTS of footage, and didn't hesitate to show it to us.

I'm still wondering why upon boarding,  anyone would put anything in a cabin that wasn't  theirs?   On another note....at embarkation,  aren't you given  your "key card" then, upon checking in, so when you do get to  your cabin you can open it?  I think there are a few pieces to this story that have not been made clear.

Edited by marco

On 12/17/2018 at 2:06 PM, chengkp75 said:

The other problem is that the cruise ticket contract sets limits on valuables, and states that if you have anything of value above this limit, you must report it when boarding.

I understand the first part of your comment as it is a common clause.  The second part, at least in my current contract, is an option to allow reporting higher values in which case the line would increase its limit of liability to that stated value but not to exceed $5k.  The report must be in writing prior to the cruise and a fee applies.   

Anyway, I had no idea a clause like this existed until I read your comment.   My luggage content is worth more than the standard $300 limit but I don't think I will be using this option.