things stolen - what would you do?

InGearX

We've sailed NCL.   They could not have boarded the ship without having their sea pass cards, which of course would have allowed them to gain access to their locked cabin.   So the statement that they put their very expensive coats in someone else's cabin because their cabin was locked makes no sense at all. 

Interestingly, the OP has posted in the "need help" sub-forum, asking how to request that an entire thread be removed...

17 hours ago, InGearX said:

upon boarding they made a mistake and put their coats into cabin next to theirs as theirs was locked

Trying very hard to understand why anyone would put anything, let alone expensive coats, in someone else's cabin.  No matter how you look at this statement, it makes no sense at all (and believe me, I've tried).

17 hours ago, InGearX said:

new people inside the cabin said they do not know anything

What does this mean?  New people suggests (to me) that there were others in the cabin where they had left the coats and on return it was new (different) people.

Sorry OP, I think there is something missing from your story and it's not just the two coats!!

2 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

Maybe they should have kept it to themselves then instead of posting it here and asking "what would you do"???

The answer is, chalk it up to foolishness and move on.

My comment was aimed directly to the OP:  It is not his problem to solve, it is his Mom's and her friend.  EM

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

Trying very hard to understand why anyone would put anything, let alone expensive coats, in someone else's cabin.  No matter how you look at this statement, it makes no sense at all (and believe me, I've tried).

What does this mean?  New people suggests (to me) that there were others in the cabin where they had left the coats and on return it was new (different) people.

Sorry OP, I think there is something missing from your story and it's not just the two coats!!

Sounds like they asked their neighbours if they could leave their coats while they went for lunch.

They couldn't open their own cabin with their keycards.

When they returned to their own cabin, which they were now able to enter, there were different neighbours beside them.

Neigbours, who knew nothing about the coats.

Conclusion: they went to the wrong floor, so their keycard didn't work in the door and those neighbours have the coats.

OP, maybe have your mom check the other floors for the similar cabin number(5025 vs 4025 etc) and check with those neighbours.

Edited by OVgirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

OP, maybe have your mom check the other floors for the similar cabin number(5025 vs 4025 etc) and check with those neighbours.

Alternatively:

OP maybe you should ask you mom what REALLY happened to the coats.

or

Do not let her travel without an attendant.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, InGearX said:

i was shocked reading replies like this

and trying to stay collected 

replying

I'm sorry that I can't add any help for your dilemma, but I did want to say that I, too, was disturbed by the nastiness of some of the replies here. I've posted in the past and had people hammer away at me in a way that shocked me, as well. I don't understand it and it makes these forums very tiresome and disheartening at times. I hope your mother is able to get some recompense, whether her coat is recovered or she is able to make an insurance claim. 

10 hours ago, George C said:

We have done over 60 cruises only time something was stolen/missing was ncl, ring I had was missing from room reported this to front desk officer looked said they thourly searched cabin and that’s all they could do. We then went though cabin again found a high school ring and other jewelry left by a previous passenger , turned it over to front desk, we no longer cruise ncl. 

But there is a safe in every cabin.  Was this 'stolen' from the safe?  

8 hours ago, InGearX said:

>But also rather dis-jointed, and perhaps posted in haste.

yes it is true

i am traveling on business ... now i have only my ipad ... posting this and replies from it ...

mom is on the ship

and posted a doze facebook messenger 1 minute recording on this asking for advice ...

it is best nfo i could put together ...

==================

at dear @CruiseGal999

>"I do not believe you when you say that security can NOT view their OWN security footage.  That is #1 where this falls apart. "

i never wrote that

it was a misunderstanding / loss in what i meant / What you interpreted .... likely my mistake as i should have explained something like this in as much detail as i could

what i meant was that my mom requested to see CCTV with them!
but the declined this request

the security watched this on their own

my mother then made a formal request in writing
and requested a formal reply in writing as to why not

I am not sure i guess back home in much of US a victim can not just request to see CCTV

a police officer / detective must ...?

anyone knows the details

do citizens have this right? i guess it must go though legal process..

well here is the thing CCTV would make it clear
and clean

#1 if my mom walked into a room with a coat
#2 walked out with nothing
#3 new guests come
#4 my mom shows up - and the guests claim they do not know anything

it would implicate them
it would cause drama
NCL or anyone wouldn't want drama
they just want everything to be dandy on the sail ...

or possibility B
it shows a stewart walking out with the coats
what then
also drama

so NCL quietly keeps this CCTV to them selves

and no NYPD will likely not be allowed to see it
will they?

do citizens lose their rights on a cruise?

==================
addressing 2nd and 3rd point:

>Secondly, WHY would someone/anyone put their personal belongings in a cabin that was NOT their own cabin!  That doesn't compute ... on any level."

again i should have went into delicate details on this
my mom and her friend waited on a pier
were both hungry ...
wanted to eat ASAP
they found their cabin to be locked

so they found ANY cabin that was not
and made a BIG mistake - i guess  thinking they were at a merry house party where everyone is your good neighbor

==================
==================
@Flatbush Flyer

>Two(!) $2000 coats and they're on an NCL cruise? 👀

As mentioned by the previous poster, the entire story sounds bogus. 

i didn't get the exact exact prices of each coat and prices
yes i guess i should have somehow looked up the exact price for coat A
and B
all i know that it was ball park range

so all people who are NCL can not afford a coat?

==================
================== 

@sloopsailor

i wasn't there

but i worked for many banks and we made errors in millions and millions of dollars
all the time

just like say a self driven car can make a mistake ...

humans make errors
humans who program machines make errors
machines make errors
exceptions can happen all the time...

i wish i knew why their door was locked or what the exact reason was ..

i wasn't there ...

==================
==================

@John Bull

thank you 
thank you dear John Bull

yes i wasn't there

but then none of us were ..

i am missing exact details ..

but i was just curious of general advice

what can be done
what should be done

legally
morally
ethically

>And on the matter of "we're not permitted to view our CCTV", 

again i didn't write that

i wrote that

>mom asked to review the CCTV (with them) but security said it is not that simple as it is in US

meaning they have their own rules
a passenger is not allowed to see CCTV

or you might be right
that section was off / full / cam broken / on hold / in port / HD maintenance ... etc ... a dozen or two other reasons
when you are running hundreds or thousand+ cameras ... i wouldn't be surprised

==================
==================

@CruiseGal999

my mother sailed many times and never had a problem
and was under the impression i guess that it is one good house party

on top of that a secure house party
with CCTV - apparently worthless

with security - who are also apparently worthless - who in a long talk confessed that even if they did find the perpetrator law would forbid them from taking direct action ... lawsuit might arise ...

==================
she would not leave say her phone or rings or other valuables

but a huge huge coat

==================

i feel so bullied
and bad needing to defend on here

i didn't expect to be accused

i shouldn't have posed

i guess if it is not about merry good times... then it is not welcome on here

OMG psychologically that is probably what it is

it is like i would tell a patient that eating that cake full of sugar is bad for them while they were eating it ... and its their favorite cake ... which cruising is for many of us ... a blessed safe .. sacred experience ..... it should be

i wanted to ask advice

now i even though it might of have been good to share to give other heads up on any cruise .. anywhere ...

but i wish i never did
i will likely ask legally for CC to remove this

==================
==================
@chengkp75

>This is truly where the story doesn't hold water.  Not only Bahamian law, but international maritime law, and even the cruise line ticket contract, gives the cruise line the right to search any cabin at any time, with or without the passenger's consent or knowledge.  

yes exactly
a captains decision is final
so if it is not of greater convenience of the ship (and i understand it and respect that), the crew, the passengers

a loss for one is acceptable over a loss for many

so say they show my mom that other guests took the coat on CCTV
my mom would request that they follow international law or us law

and perhaps just perhaps it would require by law to put that guest behind bars for theft of (again approximately) $2000 + $2000 items

how does that make NCL look

maybe just maybe that even opens them up to a lawsuit - because as you know there are dime a dozen (no wait for free) trigger happy lawyers ready to find a cause and take the case... to settle outside the courtroom...

(they even said: sure if it was a missing child for instance it would be another case)

again i wasn't there
i wish i heard and could post an audio recording of what exactly they told my mom

if she even had it

and it would be illegal probably for her to record
or for me to post

so by trying to explain this ..m i am begining to see and understand how complex this is ...

it is better not to take any action
because any action
could make the situation worse
much worse

==================

but thank you for the info on
>Finally, crimes against US citizens, while on a foreign flag cruise ship, while the ship is in US waters or in international waters, must be reported to the FBI, and the US has claimed extra-territorial jurisdiction over these crimes.

==================

@ Flatbush Flyer
>But, everyone does have to admit that even the "well-to-do" probably wouldn't have/take a $2k coat on a cruise ship mostly populated by very very budget-conscious folks.

friend was visiting NYC from Europe - it is cold - yes with a good coat
and cruise is just part of it

so sorry that they picked a cheap cruise on which they can not go on with best coats they had

==================
@capriccio

>Wow, I am used to your condescending comments about mass market cruise lines, but can you get any more insulting by implying that 'very budget-conscious' folks are more likely to steal from their fellow passengers? Or maybe you are saying the 'well-to-do' wouldn't want to make the rest of the passengers feel bad?  Either case is a new low.

thank you 
thank you 

==================

@George C

thank you 

==================

>But I guess the first few responses have put them off.

Possibly for life.:classic_sad:

yes yes

thank you 

==================
@clskinsfan
>Maybe the coats will magically reappear at some point. After all IF their neighbors have the coats it is not like they can go walking around the ship with them on.

but apparently nothing prevents those folks from walking out with them in their cases

no on can or will search them

==================

So you damn NCL, the Captain of the Ship, ALL of the Security personnel,  NCL personnel ... stewards possibly cleaning the cabins ... because you don't have the full story, you don't have the time to post the full details, and you don't have the gumption to tell your mom that she and her friend are at fault because that was a dumb thing to do.  AND IF these 2 ladies (older in years?) can not remember what deck they were on and exactly what cabin they left $4000 worth of coats in ... it is no one's fault but their own.  It is one huge tough pill to swallow.  

People are NOT being snide ... mean ... harsh at all.  It is just the reality of the situation. 

Years ago, my friend (30 yrs. old at the time) went to Fox's furs in Boston and picked up her mom's fur coat out of storage for the winter.  She went to Jordan's and stopped at the makeup counter.  She put the bag on the floor next to her feet.  After looking at, testing and buying some makeup ... she went to pick up the bag ... and it was GONE.  Someone had walked by, grabbed the handle and walked away.  With FOX blazened on the bag and everyone knowing who/what they are ... it was a huge win for the thief.  But it was the daughter's absolute stupidity that this happened.  I would have gone home.  BUT IF I were to go shopping ... I would CLAMP that bag between my feet and not move ... the counter person brings whatever you want TO you ... but I digress ... 

I do feel that perhaps some of the replies couch have been couched in less abrupt words but that doesn't hide the fact that there is definitely something very wrong about all this.

If the OP has correct info, I would assume the most likely reason that the ladies couldn't unlock their cabin was because it wasn't their cabin.

I have been cruising a great deal and am very familiar with the layout of my usual ships but even so I still find my card sometimes doesn't work - sometimes it has demagnetized but sometimes I am at the wrong cabin, so it can happen, especially in the flurry of boarding.

However, then to leave possessions in another cabin is entirely incomprehensible to me. How could anyone assume that they would be safe? Even on a cruise ship which is a relatively - note relatively - safe environment.

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

There is a world of difference between someone being “budget minded” and their purchases having “affordability”.   Being “budget minded” simply means trying to buy something on the cheap;  while “affordability” means something is within ones ability to pay, and has nothing to do with quality or whether it offers objective value for the money. 

NCL is certainly at the low end of the price spectrum - their accommodations are generally priced at or below the prices charged by other lines for COMPARABLE accommodations.   

Definitions aside, every time I've checked, their fares are more in keeping with Celebrity and I wouldn't say that they are at the lower end of the price spectrum. (Just for grins since DW and I were recently talking about doing a cruise to Alaska I priced NCL and Celebrity for next September. For comparable cabins [mid-ship balcony] NCL was $1400 more than Celebrity. NCL might have been at the low end of the price spectrum in the past but I don't think that is the case any longer.)

Edited by sparks1093

10 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

But there is a safe in every cabin.  Was this 'stolen' from the safe?  

Do not think there was a safe , this was twenty years ago had a small inside cabin then, now travel in suites but not on ncl. 

So what is wrong with being "budget minded"?  To me it means getting good value for my money, not meaning getting things "on the cheap" as another poster said.  Have been budget-minded all my life and am now enjoying a comfortable retirement, which includes cruises (sometimes in suites).

• Like 1

OP:  your replies were quite hard to decipher, but a few points:

no your mom is not entitled to view any security tapes.  The security team is not required to permit it.  Nationality is irrelevant.

the FBI will not get involved.

as frequent cruisers, what on earth made her think she could just randomly find an open cabin and dump ANYTHING in it, let alone expensive coats?!   If my cabin key didn’t work( and I was indeed at the right cabin number) I’d be schlepping everything down to Guest Services to get my key  fixed.  Including any personal clothing items.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spookwife said:

OP:  your replies were quite hard to decipher, but a few points:

no your mom is not entitled to view any security tapes.  The security team is not required to permit it.  Nationality is irrelevant.

the FBI will not get involved.

as frequent cruisers, what on earth made her think she could just randomly find an open cabin and dump ANYTHING in it, let alone expensive coats?!   If my cabin key didn’t work( and I was indeed at the right cabin number) I’d be schlepping everything down to Guest Services to get my key  fixed.  Including any personal clothing items.  

Why bother answering the OP?

Elvis has left the building.

Now this thread is just like beating a dead chinchilla. 

Just now, mjkacmom said:

All cabins on NCL have safes.

Was that true for really old ships like Norway and seaward ? Again ncl blew it , they told us they searched cabin and then we found jewelry left by cruisers from a previous cruise. These were older ships that were pre balcony. 

Wow, all I can say is the ridiculous statement that 'budget minded are not the brightest bulbs' is the height of arrogance.  

We are post grads and budget minded; see no sense in paying more than we need to.  Although I could, I would never even consider buying a $2000 coat, for instance.  I would sail on a premium line, if I thought it was good value, but not just to say I did.

I understand and agree with the implication that NCL (and quite a few other lines) do mislead or at least dazzle people with all the so-called 'free' perks.  They are especially bad with the 'free' drink package.  In that way, many people apparently don't figure out just what they are paying for the 'free' stuff.  

Free, to me, is when I get perks added that don't cost me anything extra--and yes, I do figure out whether, say, the free gratuities makes the base price go up.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, George C said:

Was that true for really old ships like Norway and seaward ? Again ncl blew it , they told us they searched cabin and then we found jewelry left by cruisers from a previous cruise. These were older ships that were pre balcony. 

So you were still on the ship and yet asked for a NCL crew member to search your cabin for your lost ring? Do you think the overworked crew has time to do a detailed search of every nook and cranny of cabins. I suspect the majority of items left on cruise ships never gets back to the owners.

I have a couple of thoughts....

1. It being winter and NYC, lots and lots of people have very pricey (generally with winter coats, pricey = warm!) winter coats.  I'm in Canada, and lots and lots of people I know spend a large amount of money to be warm while they walk or wait for public transit in the winter.  Just look at the prices on the VERY popular Canada Goose jackets, and consider the prices of typical ski and snowboard jackets to get a sense of how easy it is to have a winter jacket that is an investment piece.  It doesn't have to be flashy or fur to have cost a lot of money.

2. Is it possible that the new guests in the room (or even the room steward) thought the coats belonged to the previous (exiting) guests and turned them in to guest services, then the coats were taken off-ship to try to reunite with the debarking guests?  Someone else also recommended checking in with lost-and-found, which is always a possibility.  

3. I agree with many of the previous posters that the coats should NEVER have been left in a room that was not their own.  But, what is done is done, can we just try to help the OP try to navigate the situation? 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

So you were still on the ship and yet asked for a NCL crew member to search your cabin for your lost ring? Do you think the overworked crew has time to do a detailed search of every nook and cranny of cabins. I suspect the majority of items left on cruise ships never gets back to the owners.

sounds like you had no idea if safes in room back then. I reported ring missing after searching small cabin, security with officer searched cabin. Officer said they thoroughly searched cabin, sounds like you deserve ncl. been on over 60 cruises on many lines never had anything missing before or since.

22 hours ago, InGearX said:

>But also rather dis-jointed, and perhaps posted in haste.

yes it is true

i am traveling on business ... now i have only my ipad ... posting this and replies from it ...

mom is on the ship

and posted a doze facebook messenger 1 minute recording on this asking for advice ...

it is best nfo i could put together ...

==================

at dear @CruiseGal999

>"I do not believe you when you say that security can NOT view their OWN security footage.  That is #1 where this falls apart. "

i never wrote that

it was a misunderstanding / loss in what i meant / What you interpreted .... likely my mistake as i should have explained something like this in as much detail as i could

what i meant was that my mom requested to see CCTV with them!
but the declined this request

the security watched this on their own

my mother then made a formal request in writing
and requested a formal reply in writing as to why not

I am not sure i guess back home in much of US a victim can not just request to see CCTV

a police officer / detective must ...?

anyone knows the details

do citizens have this right? i guess it must go though legal process..

well here is the thing CCTV would make it clear
and clean

#1 if my mom walked into a room with a coat
#2 walked out with nothing
#3 new guests come
#4 my mom shows up - and the guests claim they do not know anything

it would implicate them
it would cause drama
NCL or anyone wouldn't want drama
they just want everything to be dandy on the sail ...

or possibility B
it shows a stewart walking out with the coats
what then
also drama

so NCL quietly keeps this CCTV to them selves

and no NYPD will likely not be allowed to see it
will they?

do citizens lose their rights on a cruise?

==================
addressing 2nd and 3rd point:

>Secondly, WHY would someone/anyone put their personal belongings in a cabin that was NOT their own cabin!  That doesn't compute ... on any level."

again i should have went into delicate details on this
my mom and her friend waited on a pier
were both hungry ...
wanted to eat ASAP
they found their cabin to be locked

so they found ANY cabin that was not
and made a BIG mistake - i guess  thinking they were at a merry house party where everyone is your good neighbor

==================
==================
@Flatbush Flyer

>Two(!) $2000 coats and they're on an NCL cruise? 👀

As mentioned by the previous poster, the entire story sounds bogus. 

i didn't get the exact exact prices of each coat and prices
yes i guess i should have somehow looked up the exact price for coat A
and B
all i know that it was ball park range

so all people who are NCL can not afford a coat?

==================
================== 

@sloopsailor

i wasn't there

but i worked for many banks and we made errors in millions and millions of dollars
all the time

just like say a self driven car can make a mistake ...

humans make errors
humans who program machines make errors
machines make errors
exceptions can happen all the time...

i wish i knew why their door was locked or what the exact reason was ..

i wasn't there ...

==================
==================

@John Bull

thank you 
thank you dear John Bull

yes i wasn't there

but then none of us were ..

i am missing exact details ..

but i was just curious of general advice

what can be done
what should be done

legally
morally
ethically

>And on the matter of "we're not permitted to view our CCTV", 

again i didn't write that

i wrote that

>mom asked to review the CCTV (with them) but security said it is not that simple as it is in US

meaning they have their own rules
a passenger is not allowed to see CCTV

or you might be right
that section was off / full / cam broken / on hold / in port / HD maintenance ... etc ... a dozen or two other reasons
when you are running hundreds or thousand+ cameras ... i wouldn't be surprised

==================
==================

@CruiseGal999

my mother sailed many times and never had a problem
and was under the impression i guess that it is one good house party

on top of that a secure house party
with CCTV - apparently worthless

with security - who are also apparently worthless - who in a long talk confessed that even if they did find the perpetrator law would forbid them from taking direct action ... lawsuit might arise ...

==================
she would not leave say her phone or rings or other valuables

but a huge huge coat

==================

i feel so bullied
and bad needing to defend on here

i didn't expect to be accused

i shouldn't have posed

i guess if it is not about merry good times... then it is not welcome on here

OMG psychologically that is probably what it is

it is like i would tell a patient that eating that cake full of sugar is bad for them while they were eating it ... and its their favorite cake ... which cruising is for many of us ... a blessed safe .. sacred experience ..... it should be

i wanted to ask advice

now i even though it might of have been good to share to give other heads up on any cruise .. anywhere ...

but i wish i never did
i will likely ask legally for CC to remove this

==================
==================
@chengkp75

>This is truly where the story doesn't hold water.  Not only Bahamian law, but international maritime law, and even the cruise line ticket contract, gives the cruise line the right to search any cabin at any time, with or without the passenger's consent or knowledge.  

yes exactly
a captains decision is final
so if it is not of greater convenience of the ship (and i understand it and respect that), the crew, the passengers

a loss for one is acceptable over a loss for many

so say they show my mom that other guests took the coat on CCTV
my mom would request that they follow international law or us law

and perhaps just perhaps it would require by law to put that guest behind bars for theft of (again approximately) $2000 + $2000 items

how does that make NCL look

maybe just maybe that even opens them up to a lawsuit - because as you know there are dime a dozen (no wait for free) trigger happy lawyers ready to find a cause and take the case... to settle outside the courtroom...

(they even said: sure if it was a missing child for instance it would be another case)

again i wasn't there
i wish i heard and could post an audio recording of what exactly they told my mom

if she even had it

and it would be illegal probably for her to record
or for me to post

so by trying to explain this ..m i am begining to see and understand how complex this is ...

it is better not to take any action
because any action
could make the situation worse
much worse

==================

but thank you for the info on
>Finally, crimes against US citizens, while on a foreign flag cruise ship, while the ship is in US

Aah!  This may explain it:

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

That guy --- stewart , who lots of posters report seeing going in and out of staterooms on many ships, probably stole the coats.

Never seen him myself, but he seems to hang out on a lot of ships.

If we only had Stewart's last name, we might be able to resolve this situation in short order.