Details on Summit Upgrades?

Fredric22

I am starting to get quite frustrated with Celebrity.  Our final payment for the April 6th Summit cruise is coming up but there are still very few details about the "revolution" upgrades.  We are staying in a Sky Suite.  I would really like to know what exactly is being upgraded and how extensive the cabin re-fresh will be.  I have heard a few conflicting accounts of just how in depth the upgrades will be.  It would be nice if Celebrity could release some updated deck plans for a cruise that is just a few months away!  For example, is Luminae staying in the same place?  Are all public areas getting refreshed?  Are Sky Suite cabin numbers changing?   I know there are a few promotional photos on their website, but it doesn't really say all that much.  Unfortunately if we don't hear too much within the next couple of weeks, we may cancel and book a product that we will know what we will be getting ahead of time.  The Sky Suite is no small sum of money and I don't really want to go back on the Summit unless it has been extensively refurbished. 

The suites/cabins are being redone.  The Penthousea and Royal Suites were redone in 2017 and were quite nicely done.  Whether or not Luminae will stay in the same spot isn’t known but I can’t see any down side to sailing on a ship with new furnishings, decor and updated public spaces.  

We find the Sky Suites on the M class ships to feel small and dark so looking forward to a new look when we are on the Summit in June.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

The suites/cabins are being redone.  The Penthousea and Royal Suites were redone in 2017 and were quite nicely done.  Whether or not Luminae will stay in the same spot isn’t known but I can’t see any down side to sailing on a ship with new furnishings, decor and updated public spaces.  

We find the Sky Suites on the M class ships to feel small and dark so looking forward to a new look when we are on the Summit in June.

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I just want to be a bit more excited for the changes.. and so far it seems like Celebrity just isn't really saying too much. 

3 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I just want to be a bit more excited for the changes.. and so far it seems like Celebrity just isn't really saying too much. 

Cetainly there will be sprucing up but you can be sure what they call an upgrade includes adding additional cabins and reducing the public area space. Pretty much every redo on mass market ships the last few years has done that. 

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Cetainly there will be sprucing up but you can be sure what they call an upgrade includes adding additional cabins and reducing the public area space. Pretty much every redo on mass market ships the last few years has done that. 

There have been reports from reliable sources that all cabins are being physically removed and replaced on the M class ships.  

I would say say to the OP that Celebrity’s history with rehabs is to issues press release either as the ship goes in or shortly before it comes out of rehab.  Anything else may be rumor.

5 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

There have been reports from reliable sources that all cabins are being physically removed and replaced on the M class ships.  

Wouldn't that take a lot longer time than is scheduled? I also heard the rumor they were going to have the infinite verandas. Why not just build a new ship? Neither rumor seems likely but we shall see. 

I had a long discussion with the Hotel Director on Silhouette  last month and she indicated that they will be replacing ALL cabins.  They are modular and the old ones will be slipped out and the new ones will be slipped in.   All public places will also be refurbished and given a much lighter contemporary design.   Later in the cruise the Future Cruise Manager shared with us a Power Point Presentation showing the before and after pictures of each of the room types and public areas.   It was really amazing.   I wish they would publish it somewhere. 

The suites area will really be upgraded.    Luminea will get a new fresher look and by the pictures looked like the same area.   Michael's Club will loose all the dark paneling and will be light and airy.   The walls the photo studio and lounge will be replaced with glass walls and will be completely refurbished. They will also be installing a Suites Only Retreat Forward on Deck 12 (Sports Deck).   All of the restaurants will also be remodeled.  The pictures in the link below may give you a general idea of what to expect.   I definitely wouldn't cancel if I were you.  You are really in for a treat.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/revolution/accommodations/#

The refurbishments will be taking a full month for each ship.   Millennium is number 1 and begins in about 3 weeks. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The pictures in the link below may give you a general idea of what to expect.   I definitely wouldn't cancel if I were you.  You are really in for a treat.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/revolution/accommodations/#

The refurbishments will be taking a full month for each ship.   Millennium is number 1 and begins in about 3 weeks. 

From the link it appears that they are replacing the staterooms. I certainly would not cancel if I had it booked. 

We spent 21 nights on the Summit last summer, and even then there was some discussion about the upgrades.  We were also told that the cabins will not be "spruced up" but will be replaced.  Apparently the new pre-built cabins slide into place.  Then plumbing and electric connections are made -- and they are done.  

6 hours ago, hcat said:

In  AQ Class,  Concierge ,  and standard balc cabins...will there be regular or Infiite Verandas with windows?  Or not disclosed in the power point?

Edge Class ships had to be engineered with a completely new structural set-up to allow the infinite balconies, so it would seem to be impossible to add them on the older classes of ships.  It's also good to hear that Luminae will stay where it is, because that means the MDR menu option will remain.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Edge Class ships had to be engineered with a completely new structural set-up to allow the infinite balconies, so it would seem to be impossible to add them on the older classes of ships.  It's also good to hear that Luminae will stay where it is, because that means the MDR menu option will remain.

With all due respect.   I would say it isn't impossible as they have at least one on Constellation (7197) that they installed to test before Edge was completed.   I've seen pictures here on CC but not sure exactly what they did but it looks much deeper than the Edge and of course has a large footrest. 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:43 PM, Charles4515 said:

Wouldn't that take a lot longer time than is scheduled? I also heard the rumor they were going to have the infinite verandas. Why not just build a new ship? Neither rumor seems likely but we shall see. 

I hope not. 👎

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

With all due respect.   I would say it isn't impossible as they have at least one on Constellation (7197) that they installed to test before Edge was completed.   I've seen pictures here on CC but not sure exactly what they did but it looks much deeper than the Edge and of course has a large footrest. 

I knew about that – but making one hole in the external structure of a ship is very different from demolishing all of it.  I know they are sliding out the existing cabin modules and replacing them with new ones, but if it was this easy to reconfigure as IVs why did they make such a big deal about how the structural engineering of Edge had to be completely different from all previous Celebrity ships to allow the IV concept?  They showed diagrams of existing ships, with the external skin serving as the main structure, versus Edge with the structural components on the corridor side of the cabin areas.  We will see in February when Millennium comes out of dry dock [if it's still on schedule]

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I knew about that – but making one hole in the external structure of a ship is very different from demolishing all of it.  I know they are sliding out the existing cabin modules and replacing them with new ones, but if it was this easy to reconfigure as IVs why did they make such a big deal about how the structural engineering of Edge had to be completely different from all previous Celebrity ships to allow the IV concept?  They showed diagrams of existing ships, with the external skin serving as the main structure, versus Edge with the structural components on the corridor side of the cabin areas.  We will see in February when Millennium comes out of dry dock [if it's still on schedule]

I'm curious as to weather the location of 7197 (last cabin aft on Port before Aft Cabins) is structurally different than other Concierge cabins.    

3 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

I have to wonder why ,if they are unable to do IV's on M class ,they would include a trial one on Constellation?

Laura

Because Edge wasn't built yet.  Where else were they going to show it to the press with the ocean as a backdrop?

7 hours ago, volk904 said:

Sounds very nice.  I understand the concept of cabins sliding in and out but 30 days seems like very fast to replace all the cabins.  

If everything is ready in the yard, it will go amazingly fast.   It's the interior portions of the ship that could hit snags.   Those aren't plug and play, so they'll have to strip to the frame and rebuild up.   And since Summit isn't first in, any snags or unforeseen fit out issues will be worked out already.   Summit will reap the rewards of Millennium going first.

They'll surely be working 3 shifts, and the logistics and "parts dance" will be laid out and scripted to a tee.    I'm kinda hoping they have a live cam or time lapse video of the re-fit planned.   Would be fun to watch.

On 12/23/2018 at 7:14 PM, Northern Aurora said:

We spent 21 nights on the Summit last summer, and even then there was some discussion about the upgrades.  We were also told that the cabins will not be "spruced up" but will be replaced.  Apparently the new pre-built cabins slide into place.  Then plumbing and electric connections are made -- and they are done.  

We have heard from multiple sources now about complete cabin replacements on M-Class.  But what about S-Class??

I can't believe the budget of $500 million would support complete replacement on 9 ships.  I don't see them doing it on "S" class other than adding the new Signature and Reflection suites to 1/2 of the Sky Lounge like Reflection.  I pretty sure they will just do soft goods and maybe furniture in the cabins (decor) and the bathrooms will be untouched.  But I guess we won't know for sure until June when Equinox is done.

Remember when Century added 314 balcony's welded to the side and added 24 new cabin modules on Deck 12 in 5 weeks in 2006 which cost $55 million over 10 years ago.  https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1626

I suspect the M class will come in close to $100 million apiece with the remaining spent on "S" class.   Remember they are over 10 years older than "S" class.

Edited by wrk2cruise

I just did some test bookings on Summit and Equinox for 2021 [well after the big drydocks] and they are offering the same cabin choices as before [except Equinox shows "Signature Suites" in 2020 but already sold out [???] and "Reflection Suites" in 2021 on deck 14 where there are no cabins now].  But no mention of Infinite Verandas and the pictures still show the regular verandas we are used to for both ships.  Of course, this could just be another example of Celebrity IT staying well behind the curve...