Netflix

jayde43

Okay this is going to be a weird question.    I know that I can download the shows I want to watch from Netflix but is there a way to watch it on my tv in my stateroom?

I have a Google chrome cast would that work??   Is there an option to plug it in the side of the tv and then cast my Ipad to the tv?   I hope that makes some sort of sense.

Thanks heaps in advance  🙂

23 minutes ago, jayde43 said:

Okay this is going to be a weird question.    I know that I can download the shows I want to watch from Netflix but is there a way to watch it on my tv in my stateroom?

I have a Google chrome cast would that work??   Is there an option to plug it in the side of the tv and then cast my Ipad to the tv?   I hope that makes some sort of sense.

Perhaps it depends on the ships location and the equipment on a particular ship, but I have not had good luck live streaming football games on S-class ships.  The broadcast is frequently stopped for buffering.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jayde43 said:

Easiest way if there is a hdmi on the tv is a Lightning Digital AV Adapter, Apple sell them I believe, you then only need a HDMI cable. You can of course just mirror the iPad with the tv if the tv has that facility but I have my doubts the ones on Celebrity do.

• Thanks 1

you may also have issues with where in the world you are and what country's internet you are connected to. The Netflix US lineup is not entirely the same as Netflix CA or another country. It is possible the show you want to watch won't be available to you based on where you are in the world.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, txflood33 said:

you may also have issues with where in the world you are and what country's internet you are connected to. The Netflix US lineup is not entirely the same as Netflix CA or another country. It is possible the show you want to watch won't be available to you based on where you are in the world.

I'm from Australia so I think I will have problems 😞  But if I have downloaded it to my ipad it should work shouldn't it?   I think the other problem is still if  I can connect it to the tv....  might just try and watch on the ipad 🙂

1 minute ago, txflood33 said:

My apologies, I took it for granted that you were American. Regardless, Netflix AU will still offer different programming than other regions of the world. It has to do with licensing.

I'm still pretty new to Netflix,  I have the unlimited internet package so I might just give it a go 🙂  Maybe I will be able to get US channels?  That would be really cool 🙂  But i don't like my chances.... Thanks for replying 🙂

My son gave us his ipad which has a 8.5" x 5" screen - he download from amazon prime Game of Thrones and off we went with 6 straight sea days - yes it was a small screen but we watched a few shows a day in the afternoon and it worked out fine.  I would love to know how to hook up ipad to tv and getter bigger screen, but if not, then we will continue to watch on the tiny one.

• Like 1

We always bring our iPad, Lightning Digital AV Adapter  ($49 Apple-less at Amazon), 10' slimline HDMI cord (Amazon- PERLESMITH (2) for $8.99) which is very thin, lightweight and allows you to use the iPad or iPhone from the bed, and our Samsung remote since Celebrity has Samsung tv's (or universal if don't have one). You need the remote with an INPUT button to change the HDMI input to the input you plug your HDMI cable. I have a very inexpensive RCA universal remote with an INPUT button (Amazon) I use when I travel on Princess since they have LG tv's. We have streamed and viewed downloaded shows from Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc easily.

Edited by shirazcruiser
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, jayde43 said:

I'm from Australia so I think I will have problems 😞  But if I have downloaded it to my ipad it should work shouldn't it?   I think the other problem is still if  I can connect it to the tv....  might just try and watch on the ipad 🙂

I think you and the other poster are conflating downloaded vs streaming shows. A show that you downloaded to your device at home can be watched at your leisure anywhere in the world, because it is done off line. In fact your device will likely need to be in airplane mode for it to work. Totally different than streaming, which requires you to be online and will only be able to view those options available for that geographic area due to licensing issues.

Can't help with connecting it to your SR TV, but it looks like another poster has this down cold. I just use my tablet, plus ear buds for better audio 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jayde43 said:

When downloaded on your iPad it’s there on your hard drive the same way playing a dvd is, you can play it wherever you want. I played my films on the plane while over the Atlantic.

• Like 1

If you want to view downloaded content on your device using previously downloaded content you will run into a couple challenges.   1st and most important is that the HDMI port is activated on the tv.   I've had good success with getting engineering to unlock it for our suite.   The second challenge if using Google Chrome device you have to have a internet connection and the ability to enter your credentials.   There are a number of youtube videos on how you can do this but you will need some techy knowledge.   This isn't necessarily for streaming directly from Netflix but to enable you device to speak with the Chrome device. 

In other words -  yes it is possible as I do it.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for their help.

I’m going to downloading like I mentioned but I will still try and stream.

Off to the city today so going to try and by the cables and adapter as suggested (if not too expensive 😂).

Happy New Year everyone 🥳🥳🥳

46 minutes ago, jayde43 said:

Thanks everyone for their help.

I’m going to downloading like I mentioned but I will still try and stream.

Off to the city today so going to try and by the cables and adapter as suggested (if not too expensive 😂).

Happy New Year everyone 🥳🥳🥳

* download not downloading grrrrr

We were able to watch previously downloaded Amazon content to an IPad on the TV on Edge. We may have had to have WiFi and Bluetooth turned on.  It was a feature/option from the TV menu, no cables needed.

Edited by Oville
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are in the UK.   We cannot download Netflix programmes and watch them elsewhere.  You will need to be on WIFI to stream and it is unlikely that it will work well on board.   Amazon Prime - can be downloaded and saved to watch later (watch the date for expiry when downloading).   BBC iplayer likewise.   Occasionally both will not work abroad, you cannot download BBC overseas only in the UK via the Iplayer.

Interesting info re cables/etc etc.   I rather like the break from the ‘usual tv’ we watch and set recordings for home for anything particular.   We watch the moview onboard (does the Connie have a movie theatre?) occasionally on the TV.  I usually download loads of stuff (especially podcasts) for the plane, and then find we have hardly watched anything if the ship is fun.

Bit like the kids - the less screen time the better.

Have fun and safe travels

13 minutes ago, ladyascot said:

We are in the UK.   We cannot download Netflix programmes and watch them elsewhere.  You will need to be on WIFI to stream and it is unlikely that it will work well on board.   Amazon Prime - can be downloaded and saved to watch later (watch the date for expiry when downloading).   BBC iplayer likewise.   Occasionally both will not work abroad, you cannot download BBC overseas only in the UK via the Iplayer.

Interesting info re cables/etc etc.   I rather like the break from the ‘usual tv’ we watch and set recordings for home for anything particular.   We watch the moview onboard (does the Connie have a movie theatre?) occasionally on the TV.  I usually download loads of stuff (especially podcasts) for the plane, and then find we have hardly watched anything if the ship is fun.

You can also download from Sky Q if you have that and they seemed to work the last time we did this although I think some of them would not play on the plane coming back - I know that they are only available for a period. The do work on flights.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:38 PM, Jim_Iain said:

If you want to view downloaded content on your device using previously downloaded content you will run into a couple challenges.   1st and most important is that the HDMI port is activated on the tv.   I've had good success with getting engineering to unlock it for our suite.   The second challenge if using Google Chrome device you have to have a internet connection and the ability to enter your credentials.   There are a number of youtube videos on how you can do this but you will need some techy knowledge.   This isn't necessarily for streaming directly from Netflix but to enable you device to speak with the Chrome device. 

In other words -  yes it is possible as I do it.  

So we just need to make sure that you have been in the suite before us!!

2 hours ago, ladyascot said:

It is possible to download Netflix programming in the UK and watch them overseas, I'm just back from a trip where we did that.  If you try to watch while connected to WiFi, you may get an issue as the default is streaming and it will notice you are not in the UK so won't get UK programmes (instead restricted to those available where you are) but as soon as you are off WiFi, it reverts to downloaded versions and they are available again.

The downloads will expire a certain time after you begin watching them, but it is easy to refresh them with WiFi access in a port - no need to download again, it is just a re-connection that enables it again.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:31 AM, jayde43 said:

When we went on the Summit a year and a half ago, there was no way to hook up a small DVD player to the TV. We brought HDMI cables, plugged it in, didn't work. The IT dept on the ship said that the capability was actually disabled on the TV where the HDMI cable goes. That's our experience on the Summit, ymmv.

Thank you Coleville, all interesting stuff.   I will download some more from Netflix.   I just saw I have 99 downloads (from several TV series Ive never caught up on), probably enough?  Especially if the sun shines, and maybe we may eat a meal or two onboard, or even go on a sightseeing trip!

Safe travels,

J

On 12/26/2018 at 4:31 AM, jayde43 said:

TVs on EDGE work with Chrome Cast and Apple Play. I don't know about other ships.

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 7:48 PM, hvsteve1 said:

TVs on EDGE work with Chrome Cast and Apple Play. I don't know about other ships.

Did you use Chrome Cast or Apple Play? Did it work out well?  Since both are Internet-based, my question has to do with the speed of the Internet aboard the Edge; not the specified bandwidth, but the actual bandwidth with possibly hundreds of users on the Internet, many of whom may be watching movies themselves.  My concern is that whatever I try to watch using Apply Play might have trouble buffering a movie.