Dress code for MDR

dizzy1949

4 minutes ago, dizzy1949 said:

Are men allowed to wear dressy shorts in the MDR for dinner?  Noticed that the dress code is more relaxed now.

Officially, most ships still state "no short in the MDR at dinner time."  In reality, no one seems to do anything about it.

The only time I've seen "No shorts allowed at dinner" on the Cruise Compass is on formal nights.  However, I rarely eat in the MDR so I don't know how often that is enforced.  I've been in specialty restaurants on formal nights and have seen shorts being worn.

tl:dr wear shorts if you want and have fun.

3 minutes ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

You will most likely be fine. I wear them occasionally. 

Be prepared for the rare chance that you could be asked to change into long pants. 

That would be extremely rare on any RCI ship....dressy shorts or any other type of shorts really.

Ya know for our first 5 cruises I followed the MDR rules for the most part. Last year on Anthem I honestly forgot no shorts. It literally slipped my mind and I was like almost having a panic attack as we sat down at our table but no one said a word to us and others were doing the same. Staff didn't say anything and passengers didn't so I felt better.

6 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

So who is in charge of determining which shorts are "nice"? 

😎

That's a joke.   People always talk about shorts being nice, dress, smart, etc., as if there is some universal standard.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Officially, most ships still state "no short in the MDR at dinner time."  In reality, no one seems to do anything about it.

There are no longer “dress codes”. So, there is nothing to enforce. There are “suggestions” and more and more people are dining in shorts. Even on formal nights. 

“Nice shorts” are basically not nylon gym shorts (or the Amazon shorts 🙂). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, dizzy1949 said:

Are men allowed to wear dressy shorts in the MDR for dinner?  Noticed that the dress code is more relaxed now.

Yes. I have, especially the first & last nights when my luggage is packed.

I wouldn't on formal nights tho.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I would not wear shorts in the MDR on a Europe cruise. 

And maybe not on land, either - it is rare for European adults to wear shorts, except for hiking and similar activities, and there are still churches in some countries that don't allow them.

20 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

And maybe not on land, either - it is rare for European adults to wear shorts, except for hiking and similar activities, and there are still churches in some countries that don't allow them.

I would agree with you in general but since OP mentioned a Greek Isles cruise.....Greece and the Greek Isles tend to be casual, shorts are ok on land except for some churches. Don’t wear white socks though. 😀