help with rental cars

molsonschooner

We are traveling from Hamilton Ont. to Detroit with our son and granddaughter. We both have small cars so we are thinking of renting a vehicle that will hold 4 passengers and at least 3 pieces of luggage plus carry ons. Can any of you have recommendations that will suit our needs. 

Cars do seem to be cheaper than minivans or SUV's.

Try for the largest car available, like a Chevy Impala or Toyota Avalon. Those cars have enormous trunks that should be able to swallow 3 full-size suit cases and maybe some carry-on. I find that I can usually pack more in the trunk than their website indicates. I think that's b/c they are trying to encourage you to rent something bigger. & more expensive. Also, big back seats means you can squeeze some carry-on between son and granddaughter.

Just be aware that car rental agencies car size ratings are often not realistic.  For example, they call the compact Toyota Corolla a mid-size car and the mid-size Ford Fusion a full-size.  That' why I say go for the largest car offered.

Edited by HBE4

3 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

My small/mid-sized SUV can easily hold 4 passengers plus bags..

Our group does not travel that light.  For our 4 people, we would have 6 bags plus carry-ons.  We've tried SUV's before and it was the bags that made it tough.

23 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Probably an uninformed question, but can you rent a car in Canada and drop it off in the US?  Are there extra fees?  EM

Good question

I just googled and the answer varies based on who, what, when, and where, to include advanced notice and approval from the specific rental car company.

Do you belong to Costco?   If so, check renting a car through them.    We always use them and find their rates are cheaper, plus we've had no 'drop-off' fees - though that's been for pick-up/drop-off within California.    They use standard car rental companies and show you the rates for each option.    You can also cancel and rebook at any time if rates fall when you get closer to your trip.   

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

do you have air tickets booked?

By the time you rent a car  park it  at DTW  for  the duration of your trip you could have probably flown from Toronto or  BUF

I'm going with him on this trip... We considered that but the flight times were awful and much more expensive.. Even flying for "free" using points taxes were going to be over 700$ for 2 people.. So 1400 for the 4 of us...

From Detroit.. Taxes were under 100 CAD pp.

Vehicles I've considered are an f150 but I have apprehensions about an open box in the winter, impala and Malibu. 

Edited by constable145

37 minutes ago, constable145 said:

I'm going with him on this trip... We considered that but the flight times were awful and much more expensive.. Even flying for "free" using points taxes were going to be over 700$ for 2 people.. So 1400 for the 4 of us...

From Detroit.. Taxes were under 100 CAD pp.

Vehicles I've considered are an f150 but I have apprehensions about an open box in the winter, impala and Malibu. 

I would  not do the truck in winter weather ...but that is me

when we had a truck it was weighted down in the box with large patio stones to keep the rear end from sliding  ..we had 4x4

Good luck  hope the roads are good  when you are travelling

If the truck is an "extended cab", it's NOT comfortable for those in the back seats!  I would NOT do a pickup truck!  Rent a mid-size SUV or crossover.  The seating is more comfortable, and if you try hard, you can get all you need in there.

22 hours ago, Kartgv said:

Do you belong to Costco?   If so, check renting a car through them.    We always use them and find their rates are cheaper, plus we've had no 'drop-off' fees - though that's been for pick-up/drop-off within California.    They use standard car rental companies and show you the rates for each option.    You can also cancel and rebook at any time if rates fall when you get closer to your trip.   

I also recommend Costco if you are a member. We use them whenever we need to rent a car. For our vacation last week we ended up getting an intermediate SUV for less than an economy car.  We saved over $50 canceling and rebooking as prices continued to drop. 

We no longer park at the airport but rent cars instead.  Check your various organizations/work affiliations and the contracts they have with the rental agencies.  OP will also need to check drop-off charges since it is Canada-US travel.  For us we can get a car to the airport for about $35US with gas and $45 from airport with gas.  Tolls extra (and $4 fee extra with rental), but would pay that with our car as well.  Van costs more but difference between rack rate and rate I can get is still about 50%.  Van will handle 7 people and luggage for our trip next summer for around $70 one way.  We would need two cars for that trip.

Helps that we live about six blocks from local Avis outlet.  Downside of this is the local agent uses me to take vehicles he doesn't want back to the airport - got a 15 passenger van one time for the two of us.  Gas cost almost as much as the car rental.

For me, former employer rate is best with Avis and nothing else (clubs, insurance, credit cards) comes close.  But I do check the others just in case.  Also be aware that rates can change so check again even after you book.

OP make sure your insurance covers driving in both US and Canada.

Edited by LeeW
more