Edge/Revolutionized Ships---Hmmm---$$$$

cluso

On 1/8/2019 at 8:03 AM, deeva211 said:

I actually liked the new dining arrangement.  That was one of the few things I did like on the Edge!!

Maybe they executed the multi-main dining rooms better: better food, service, technology, delivery, quality, room capacity, etc.?

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

If you didn't mean to imply a negative connection to your Ikea comment then I apologize for my characterization of your comment. 

No problem.  Appearance is fine, but more concerned about capacity.

Ikea is widely used as a pejorative comparison for any 'modern' interior design.  The Viking ships are regularly characterized that way, always negatively.  But our reaction on boarding Viking Sun was just 'Wow!'  It is the most stunningly beautiful and luxurious ship we have ever sailed.  Our cabin decor was definitely in this current 'white/off-white/light-grey smooth-surfaces and sharp-creases' design language, but it was still beautiful and functional.  So I will no longer use the Ikea comparison as a negative.  But that said, there is good Scandinavian design and poor design, as with anything.  The pictures of Edge are not as beautiful or luxurious as Viking Sun. I hope the actual experience is going to be better, but for now I think Celebrity overpaid these designers worse than any of George Steinbrenner's disastrous Yankee deals (and they are going to have to live with this decision longer than the Yankees had to live with Carl Pavano). :classic_wink:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Ikea is widely used as a pejorative comparison for any 'modern' interior design.  The Viking ships are regularly characterized that way, always negatively.  But our reaction on boarding Viking Sun was just 'Wow!'  It is the most stunningly beautiful and luxurious ship we have ever sailed.  Our cabin decor was definitely in this current 'white/off-white/light-grey smooth-surfaces and sharp-creases' design language, but it was still beautiful and functional.  So I will no longer use the Ikea comparison as a negative.  But that said, there is good Scandinavian design and poor design, as with anything.  The pictures of Edge are not as beautiful or luxurious as Viking Sun. I hope the actual experience is going to be better, but for now I think Celebrity overpaid these designers worse than any of George Steinbrenner's disastrous Yankee deals (and they are going to have to live with this decision longer than the Yankees had to live with Carl Pavano). :classic_wink:

Did you see my pix on post 220?  We loved our cabin on Viking Sun this year and Sky a year ago.

Edited by Oville

6 minutes ago, Oville said:

Did you see my pix on post 220?  We loved our cabin on Viking Sun this year and Sky a year ago.

Yes, and I agree.  My only problem with Viking Ocean is that we ended up not taking any of the 'included' shore excursions, and when compared to other cruise lines without that 'benefit' their prices are too high.  Oh, and their new policy requiring full payment 18 months or more out – deal killer.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

As much as I loved The Edge I have a bad feeling about the whole Revolution makeover program. 

It sounds very much like what happened when JC Penny hired their new CEO Ron Johnson from Apple & Target to totally remake the retailer to attract new shoppers. The company board knew exactly what he was going to do which was basically throw out everything Penny's was doing and remake the retailer in one fell swoop. Well you see how well that went! Let's just hope Celebrity isn't going down that same path! 

Edited by kwokpot

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes, and I agree.  My only problem with Viking Ocean is that we ended up not taking any of the 'included' shore excursions, and when compared to other cruise lines without that 'benefit' their prices are too high.  Oh, and their new policy requiring full payment 18 months or more out – deal killer.

We also did not take the excursions but you can get a final payment 6 months out and like other cruise lines can cancel without penalty 90 days(?) but will lose $200.

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

We also did not take the excursions but you can get a final payment 6 months out and like other cruise lines can cancel without penalty 90 days(?) but will lose $200.

You used to be able to get final payment 6 months out (we did) – no more.

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

As much as I loved The Edge I have a bad feeling about the whole Revolution makeover program. 

It sounds very much like what happened when JC Penny hired their new CEO Ron Johnson from Apple & Target to totally remake the retailer to attract new shoppers. The company board knew exactly what he was going to do which was basically throw out everything Penny's was doing and remake the retailer in one fell swoop. Well you see how well that went! Let's just hope Celebrity isn't going down that same path! 

JC Penney was already broken when they hired Johnson, so the Board knew they were doing a 'Hail Mary.'  It didn't work – but they were gone anyway.  Look what's happening with Sears, trying the other approach – also not working and they have hit bankruptcy even faster than Penney.  But I don't think either of these examples is relevant to Celebrity.  I suspect that no matter how much veteran X cruisers dislike the changes, Celebrity will actually do very well.

• Like 1

Just now, Oville said:

We booked a cruise last week for January 2020 on the Sky, final payment is 6 months before the cruise.

Good to hear – not what I've been reading on either the Viking Ocean or Viking River boards on CC.  Maybe they got too much pushback.

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Good to hear – not what I've been reading on either the Viking Ocean or Viking River boards on CC.  Maybe they got too much pushback.

I just double checked and it is a bit less than 6 months.

Back on topic, I think we all need to wait and see what happens to the Millie in February.  There has been so much chatter about the Edge that simply has not been true like the staterooms are totally gray and cheap looking. 

I’m looking forward to meeting you on the January 20th Edge cruise.  We can have a chat about VO then.  Katie

Just now, Oville said:

I just double checked and it is a bit less than 6 months.

Back on topic, I think we all need to wait and see what happens to the Millie in February.  There has been so much chatter about the Edge that simply has not been true like the staterooms are totally gray and cheap looking. 

I’m looking forward to meeting you on the January 20th Edge cruise.  We can have a chat about VO then.  Katie

I agree about Millie.  We love the M-class ships, but they have needed a major refresh for quite a while.  I also remember that we booked out first Celebrity cruise just after Summit was 'Solstice-ized' and there was great moaning and gnashing of teeth here about how they were ruining her.  We didn't know what she was like before, but we thought the 'Solstice-ized' Summit was just great.  Hopefully the Revolution will be more American and less French...

Yes, looking forward to meeting on Edge and comparing cruise history and opinions!

2 hours ago, Oville said:

Thanks for posting; they look fabulous and functional. I take it you enjoyed Viking if you’ve already booked another cruise?

I’m obviously one of the few people that actually likes the colours used in S class ships cabins and prefer them to the colours used on the edge. Yes grey is fashionable just now but I believe it will just as quickly go back out of fashion. I find it dull and lifeless when used to a high degree and in the mix used on the new cabins. But of course fashion designers are very good at telling us what we should like.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I agree about Millie.  We love the M-class ships, but they have needed a major refresh for quite a while.  I also remember that we booked out first Celebrity cruise just after Summit was 'Solstice-ized' and there was great moaning and gnashing of teeth here about how they were ruining her.  We didn't know what she was like before, but we thought the 'Solstice-ized' Summit was just great.  

As you say, you hadn't seem them before.

It's just like cruisers for the first time, having never experienced the offering before cutbacks.

8 hours ago, villauk said:

Thanks for posting; they look fabulous and functional. I take it you enjoyed Viking if you’ve already booked another cruise?

We did, it’s a very different cruising experience.  We also have cruises booked on the Equinox, Silly and Summit in 2019/2020.

11 hours ago, Oville said:

We booked a cruise last week for January 2020 on the Sky, final payment is 6 months before the cruise.

Folks on River Cruising point out that you booked onboard.  That has always given 6 months.  In the past you could also get 6 months for any booking by asking for it – no more.  And they have even gone beyond the old default of 12 months to 18 months and more.  You can cancel and get your money back [eventually – there are threads complaining about delays], but you have to pony up all the money very early.

15 hours ago, Oville said:

We were on Viking Sun last week, here are pix of our cabin,  IKEA never enter our minds. It was a lovely cruise.

64DF9EF7-3803-4A13-9A23-C50D5E2699B7.jpeg

Wow, you had REAL, functional verandah furniture! X needs to put something like this on the Sky suite verandahs on the Edge.

Edited by C-Dragons

25 minutes ago, FLOTR said:

If you have sailed on a ship that has been "Revolutionized" can you answer a question for me - Can the balconies be opened so that you can socialize with people staying in the adjoining cabins?

None of the ships have been revolutionized yet. Millennium is in dry dock now until early February. She is the first ship to be revolutionized.

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

None of the ships have been revolutionized yet. Millennium is in dry dock now until early February. She is the first ship to be revolutionized.

Thought a couple already had been, thanks

22 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

This table is likely too big to fit on the IV's on the Edge.

I know that. I wasn’t talking about putting the pictured furniture in the IV's, I said they should be added to the Sky Suites which have real verandahs.

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Other than the  nice looking bathroom, Edge  to me looks low end college dorm...no way around that.. the  veranda furniture is ridiculous..but understandable from a designer that does not do ships!

.But taste varies...so it might be more productive to  discuss quality and functionality because some of us will never agree on the design choices 

I do observe that on sev threads , some pro EDGE folks seem personally  angry that others do not share their EDGE  joy!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1