Less posters on the Royal Caribbean forum?

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Live reviews were not really possible until the last few years until Voom and Unlimited Internet packages became available. 

Yeah, that was my point.  Back in 2013 a "LIVE" Review was really difficult, and because of that I assume much more unique.  This would give it more wow factor.  (I'm guessing as I wasn't on these boards back then).

Now, connectivity is sooooo much better and easier.  Live reviews are a dime a dozen.  I still like them though.

Dan

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I'm guessing there are a lot more LIVE reviews now than in 2013, so maybe the novelty/interest is waning in them.

Dan

That very well could be.  Plus, some of those live review have gotten far more detailed. Sometimes I'm on page 10 before the person even gets on the ship. Not saying that's a bad thing but for those with limited attention time, they may bail.

And since many people are reporting that due to the lose of the app, they come to the site 2 or 3 times a week vs 2 or 3 times a day, there could easily be 10 pages of trip reports to catch up on, which can be a lot to digest  in 1 session, especially when debating tips, smoking, passports, missed flights, kicked off ship, travel insurance.......and other hot topics that needs ones immediate attention and input. :classic_biggrin:

I used to take tons of photos, video, GoPro,  etc.

Bring it home and edit it all with movie maker software, complete with titles, graphics, music, etc.

Eventually they all became a repeat of the previous one.

My last trip I took very few photos because there was nothing new anymore...

Probably the same thing happening with all the "Live Reviews" .

You can only do so many things on a cruise...

• Like 4

Totally agree that the loss of the app is significant. I used the app daily to follow many of the great live threads and other reviews or just find a quick thought on a question.  Apps are the way these days and when you don't have one you quickly lose any standing you may have had on the web! Anyone know why they decided to get rid of the app?

• Like 2

Forget the live reviews, I think it’s everything.  Last cruise was in 2017 and on the Meet and Mingle posts then there were hundreds of posts.  Now, for our March B2B on the Liberty in March, there are under 20 on the 2 weeks of M&Ms.   There are definately less folks using the site. 

After the last redo our roll call on Symphony for Jan. 12 2019 sailing was gone. I contacted CC and they were able to redo some of the posts but not completely. We have 14 CC members. Egads. I think a lot of people just gave up. 

3 hours ago, pcur said:

Personally, I use it less for a different reason.  I always stick to the first page of threads; always have.  The new format spaces out the text so much that about half as many threads show up on the first page.  Some days I go to the 2nd page, maybe the 3rd, but that's about it.  I come here every day, but read and post less because there is less catching my attention.

As usual, I agree.  Hi Peggy.

I think that the last upgrade was a straw and camel’s back thing.  The moderation while often useful and good is often too aggressive.  (Not talking to you Bob).  Sometimes it strangles the spirit from the forum.

I still don’t know of a better website than this for cruising.  

JC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, iuki said:

I keep reading these statements about losing the app and all the changes.  Could you or other posters be specific, please.  I’m not seeing significant changes.

Thanks.

For me, I find the new site to be very slow and navigating is laborious. The signing in problem is better than it was at first, but I still have to sign in a lot more often than I should.

Since I use an iPad about 90% of the time now, I REALLY miss the ease and functionality of an app. I also miss the heavy traffic on this site and hope it picks up again soon.

• Like 2

Just curious, but I'm wondering if the "view count" is how many separate TIMES the thread has been viewed, or how many unique PEOPLE have viewed the thread?

Some sites count UNIQUE hits (viewers) and some count OVERALL hits (views).  If the old software counted overall views, and the new software counts individual people, the "loss of views" may be non-existent. 

For example, if 20,000 people read a thread five different times over the course of the review, that would be 100,000 "views" but only 20,000 "viewers".  

Would need to confirm which method the old and new software use to define a "view" to know if there really is a difference in number of people who view a particular thread.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iuki said:

I keep reading these statements about losing the app and all the changes.  Could you or other posters be specific, please.  I’m not seeing significant changes.

Thanks.

Have you ever used the phone app? If you haven't you just won't understand the difference between an app and a web based versions of Cruise Critic for a cell phone.  

First of all the bright white background is just too hard on the eyes and makes it difficult to read on both the Desk top version and the phone version

Second  the font is way too small on both versions. I can adjust the font on my computer but I can't on my phone. Also there are too many graphics and pictures that take up too much space on the phone. The app was streamlined with a cleaner appearance that is better suited for the small screen on a smart phone.                                                                                                            

The user friendly phone version drains the phone battery because it takes too long to load pages and it doesn't preform well with public wifi which forces you to use your phone network provider. This  comes at a cost if you are not on an unlimited plan and the web version uses more data than any app on the phone.   I used my phone to access CC about 90% of the time but now I only check in when at home.  If I didn't have a cruise booked I wouldn't even make an attempt to view this site.                                                                                                                                  

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nobody has mentioned this, but I think that especially on Roll Calls, many people are chatting on social media, especially with no CC app available for phones and tablets. I started noticing that roll calls just aren't keeping people interacting like they used to.

Barb

• Like 6

9 hours ago, barb in ga said:

Nobody has mentioned this, but I think that especially on Roll Calls, many people are chatting on social media, especially with no CC app available for phones and tablets. I started noticing that roll calls just aren't keeping people interacting like they used to.

Barb

Count me in as one of those people. To add you can discuss travel agents on other social media sites. Although I still haven't found any of the TA's that give thousands of dollars away in OBC like some of the CC members have found. It's like looking for Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster.

I also forgot to mention that there seems to be more of these anti Cruise Critic threads being started which I have been part of everyone of them, than live reviews. The drink package threads are still number one.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I'm just curious as to how you and others do live reviews? Do you use your smart phone and post as the the day is happening or do you wait until the end of the night compile your thoughts and type it out on your computer.  I was planning on doing a live from the Anthem in June but I wanted to write it on my phone as it was happening because if I wait until the evening it just won't happen. I also don't want to take a computer with me this time. I live on the phone these days even to do banking and to pay bills. If the app isn't up and running by then I may or may not do a review when I get home. I really don't care how many view it. I know at least one person will benefit from my experience.

17 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

I am now that I can sort of use Tapatalk again. But if I have to do the continual logging in I may post less frequently each day. 

I don't ever log in....haven't in years.  The site already logged in has been on my favorite bookmarks for years and when I click on it, I am automatically logged in.  Never used the app either.  But my lack of participation co-insides with other interests.  Not as keen on cruising because we are in process of building/moving. now.  But did notice not as many posts these days.

17 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

I am wondering if there are fewer people here on the Royal forum than in the past. Back in 2013 when I did a Panama Canal cruise live report it had over 100,000 views. Last month I did the same cruise report and got 20,000 views. Fewer people? Or maybe less interest in live reports? Or maybe they just don't like me. :classic_love:

The loss of the app likely had a lot to do with it.  But if I'm to be totally honest, I don't read live reports anymore.  They're too slow to develop.  Usually, I'll read them when they are finished so I can see it all at once.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I don't ever log in....haven't in years.  The site already logged in has been on my favorite bookmarks for years and when I click on it, I am automatically logged in.  Never used the app either.  But my lack of participation co-insides with other interests.  Not as keen on cruising because we are in process of building/moving. now.  But did notice not as many posts these days.

I have been wondering about that complaint as well. Even with the new version I have saved my sign in and password to my desks top computer. I haven't signed in, in years as well. If that function ever fails I will have to reset my password since I have no idea what it is after being a member for 10 years.  Even my phone remembers and all I have to do is use my thumb to sign in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cindy said:

I agree with both of these reasons. I’’ve been a member of CC for almost 19 years😱 and the last couple months have been the least amount of time I’ve spent on the boards in a very long time. I find the new boards slow and difficult to use, and without an app I spend less and less time here. It’s kind of sad...I feel like they made too many changes, and I don’t understand getting rid of the app. I think that was a mistake in today’s social media world.

I'm with you Cindy.  Been around since it was an AOL Keyword (used my AOL ID before this one).  As you have experienced, this happens every time there is a change to the board.   I'll never forget the melt down of people when they lost their post counts and Blue status or whatever it was called.  Posters thought the world was ending.    This will work itself out.

• Like 1

I'm here less often because of Tapatalk being taken away, but while I was away, I realized that we have completely discussed everything there is about cruising and the forum is just repeating the same things over and over again. I come here once a day now instead of the several times a day when I first started. I'm looking for a topic that hasn't been discussed before or new information about C&A changes.....and they are becoming harder and harder to find. We are also pretty tough on new users and chase them away in some cases. 

With my movie forum there is always something new to discuss. Same goes with my wrist watch forum. Always a new watch out or on the way. They use Tapatalk as does the other 4 forums I follow. Which just makes it easier to stay there instead of going to a browser for CC.

• Like 1