What is you favorite cruise hack on RCCL

37 minutes ago, fizzywm said:

That's one of the models they make and should work well if you want to carry it around with you. I have the TM-02, which doesn't have its own battery. It is smaller and lighter but you would need to attach an external battery if you want to use it on the go. https://smile.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-Performance-TripMate-Hotspot/dp/B00HZWOQZ6

Perfect. Thank you. I will order the same one as you. I really appreciate it. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 7:18 AM, vacationlover_mn said:

Bring a few ziploc bags with, so that you can store room temperature treats, like the ranger cookies, in your room 🙂

bring a a beverage holder (ie, the thing they have at Starbucks and other coffee shops) to bring your coffee and treats back to the room in the morning.

I have never thought of the zip lock bags. What a great idea, because the cookies get a bit odd sitting out. Thank you.

45 minutes ago, dacsmom said:

I have never thought of the zip lock bags. What a great idea, because the cookies get a bit odd sitting out. Thank you.

Also great for making an ice pack if needed.  Crushed ice and wrap in cloth napkin from WJ.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

Also great for making an ice pack if needed.  Crushed ice and wrap in cloth napkin from WJ.

The uses are endless!  I use them for everything!  Souvenirs, food, trash on the flight, toiletries so if they leak it doesn’t get everywhere, my shoes (small feet), packing clothes to save space...I could go on and on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dacsmom said:

Yes, I always bring dozen gallon and sandwich size Ziploc myself. Store in my fridge cookies and even piece of Pie to eat before bed or even the next day

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

Not just for RCCL, but for all travel...ZIP LOCK bags/freezer bags.    I bring all sizes, snack, gallon and two gallon.  Good for all the examples above and  I often need the larger bags to be a "wet bag" for  packing to go home.  

The Radiance class usually has the helipad open during the day. It is empty during the day, except for sail away day.      We did a small  private vow renewal there.  If it is open at night, the stargazing is often magnificent.  On Oasis class, stroll through Central Park  any time, but especially around 7PM  for nice music. If available on your ship,  try the zip line/ flow rider/north star/Ifly/ice skating etc.  as those are specific to RCCL .

One routine we have to is walk the  outside  after dinner.  Except for  the smoking areas, the  walking deck is empty and quiet.  We are amazed that we are  there with thousands of other people and hardly  see anyone  taking a stroll.   

Try any activity/show that might interest you.  If you don't like it, you can leave.  If we are unsure of a show description, we sit near the back, on the  end of a row  so if we need to, we can make a quiet escape.  We would  never try it from near the front.  Those comedians can be brutal.

We tell all new cruisers  not to pre judge  by the first  day as it is very hectic.    Seems everyone is at the same place ( Windjammer, pool, muster, dinner line) but it thins  out for the remainder of the cruise.

Enjoy

• Like 7

On 1/22/2019 at 9:12 PM, blueridgemama said:

Not a good or considerate hack. It's called being a chair hog. It is not fair to "reserve" chairs if you are not planning to use them until "later" !

That was a sarcasmaholics anonymous type post....meant as a JOKE.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was able to order earth magnet hooks that hold up to 80lbs when hung straight down or 15lbs when hanging off a side wall.  Should work perfectly for wet towels, swimsuits etc. in the room we’ll be sharing with our kids. (Used popular “A” website).  Also bought clear luggage tags in the same online order for the narrow printed Royal Caribbean room tags you have to attach to your luggage - quite handy and no more messing with tape/staplers.  Sturdy enough to last several cruises.  Agree with previous cruiser, packing cubes are awesome - especially since they fit into drawers or on shelves when family is sharing a room.

Food Hacks:

- On the Oasis class ships at the Park Cafe I go to the end of the buffet line to the refrigerated section at the end and get their premade Greek salad (peppers, cucumber, feta, black olives) and then mix that with their salad bar items - makes an even yummier Greek lunch salad.  

- Johnny Rockets offers free breakfast on Oasis class.  

- If you happen to be on a ship with Sabor ask for queso with your nacho chips, they will provide crushed jalapeño peppers to your table anyway, and the queso mixed with those is great!! They get this from Johnny Rockets and on its own it’s not fabulous but with some added heat it’s perfect. 

Activity Tips:

- if you feel like trying the flow rider do it early on in your cruise, lots more time to learn and get better and it only gets busier as the week goes on.

- on Harmony give the Columbus musical a chance, it’s quite fun especially if you enjoy the odd pun or cheesy humour.  Plus, it incorporates popular songs which is fun.

Added tips/hacks:

- don’t pay attention to your boarding time on check-in docs, just go to the port mid-morning and get on the boat early if they happen to be boarding early that day.

- on the new ships like Harmony where you need to use your room key to have power for your room, just put in an old business card, it works great and keeps everything charging.

- great spots for sitting and enjoying the ocean off the walking track on harmony, as well as behind the rock climbing walls... not usually very busy.

Most importantly, have fun and don’t sweat the small stuff, you’re on vacation and cruising is the best!!

• Like 3

Not necessarily a cruise hack, but something we do on most vacations. We always pack a febreeze scented trash bag for our dirty clothes. We hand wash a lot of stuff, but the bags prevent the closet/room from getting stinky from stinky clothes we don’t want to wash. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pianogrl44 said:

Most importantly, have fun and don’t sweat the small stuff, you’re on vacation and cruising is the best!!

This is the most important tip here! Our airline lost one of our bags before our last cruise so we only had 2 shirts each and my husband only had 1 pair of shorts and some swim trunks for the whole 7 night cruise. We also didn’t have any toiletries, but we bought new stuff, which was inconvenient, and got reimbursed from airline. Didn’t let it put a damper on our cruise at all. It’s vacation: any day on a cruise is better than a day at work 😂

• Thanks 1

Not a cruise specific hack- always cross pack, and have a swimsuit and one outfit in your carryone!

real life example of someone who did not do this... “Bob” wore sweats on our work trip to shanghai.  Packed all of his other clothes in his checked luggage.  Airline lost his luggage and he had NO other clothes.  We had training the day we landed, and had to wear the sweats.  and, after work, he had to scurry around the mall trying to find pants that fit him (to no avail).  He had to rush order custom fit pants from a local tailor!

2 hours ago, Pianogrl44 said:

- on the new ships like Harmony where you need to use your room key to have power for your room, just put in an old business card, it works great and keeps everything charging.

Have not heard about this room key as power controller...  We are sailing Anthem this year, not sure if applicable.  Can you describe more about this?   Thanks!!

8 minutes ago, wannavacay said:

Have not heard about this room key as power controller...  We are sailing Anthem this year, not sure if applicable.  Can you describe more about this?   Thanks!!

It's just a small box on the wall with a slot for a card.  You need any kind of card (business card will do) to fit into he slot to turn on the main power to the room.  Not a big deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wannavacay said:

Haven't been on a RCI ship with it, but on the Disney Dream they have it. Like Clarea said, you put your card in and the power to your room is activated. In theory its so you don't leave your lights on all day, but as more people are sailing on ships with these, they're finding hacks like the business card or an old gift card to use instead. 

1 hour ago, wannavacay said:

We are sailing Anthem this year, not sure if applicable.  

Yes, Anthem has it; on our 2017 cruise the teenaged girl in the inside cabin across the hall was sitting in the dark bc she didn’t have her key card with her. I showed her any card that size would work—she thought I was A GENIUS! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A few ideas that I have kept up with, or borrowed from others:

ZipLoc bags.   never can have too m any.

a power adapter/swivel plug/w/usb. Belkin SurgePlus USB Swivel Surge Protector and Charger (Power strip with 3 AC Outlets, 2 USB Ports 2.1 AMP / 10 Watt) and rotating plug  They NEVER have enough outlets in the rooms!

a pack of 'Command hooks' to stick up for hanging clothes to dry, or just hang clothes on.  They are easy to pull off, and don't damage the finish on the bulkheads.  

Pool Noodles in luggage.  Toss them at last port

And last but not least snag a couple bags of cheerios from breakfast buffet to take to beach.   Fish love them    Just learn to toss them AWAY from you or fish show their carnivorous side.

14 hours ago, Pianogrl44 said:

I just manage to keep a couple of hotel room keys for that purpose.   Although now some hotels require a coded card for power. 😞

The last is the MOST important thing.

7 hours ago, magic cap said:

a power adapter/swivel plug/w/usb. Belkin SurgePlus USB Swivel Surge Protector and Charger (Power strip with 3 AC Outlets, 2 USB Ports 2.1 AMP / 10 Watt) and rotating plug  They NEVER have enough outlets in the rooms!

Do NOT use any surge suppressed device on the ship.  The ship's electrical system is not like on land, and they are serious fire hazards.

If security notices it, it will be confiscated.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 6:54 AM, matj2000 said:

There are already several threads out there with this same sort of topic...….

Yes but they are probably  loaded with outdated information for older ships before any dry dock update. I'm not trying to find a hacks for the  Niña, Pinta, or Santa Maria.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:18 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

We tell all new cruisers  not to pre judge  by the first  day as it is very hectic.    Seems everyone is at the same place ( Windjammer, pool, muster, dinner line) but it thins  out for the remainder of the cruise.

Enjoy

First RC cruise....Is there anywhere else to eat on the first day other than the Windjammer?