Infinity verandas? Just windows?

trucker den

5 hours ago, yorky said:

I really think you need to give the constant comments about people having never set foot on edge a rest, it really is getting very boring. Yes you can actually read the many comments, look at the hundreds of photos online, and watch the many, many videos posted online and make a sound judgement on whether Edge is going to work for you. Again Hank never stated he had sailed on the ship and the comment was uncalled for.

Did I miss a post, here? From what I read of Hank and Katie's exchange, I found it to be quite respectful. People can agree to disagree, you know. :classic_wink:

Personally, I greatly appreciate the honest evaluations of this new ship from folks (like Katie) who have actually sailed on her. Sadly, those reports have validated my initial thoughts that this ship (and its class) are not for me. The pictures of the IV's leave me thinking: THAT'S a balcony? Of course, I'm one of those folk who loves the 'Sweet Sixteen' & C-1 aft balconies on the M-Class ships. And, I can tell you which cabins on the slant have the biggest balconies, on S-Class ships.  So, unless there are some secret, fabulously oversized balconies on Edge, I'll take a pass on booking that ship -- at least for now. :classic_sad:

7 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

Did I miss a post, here? From what I read of Hank and Katie's exchange, I found it to be quite respectful. People can agree to disagree, you know. :classic_wink:

Personally, I greatly appreciate the honest evaluations of this new ship from folks (like Katie) who have actually sailed on her. Sadly, those reports have validated my initial thoughts that this ship (and its class) are not for me. The pictures of the IV's leave me thinking: THAT'S a balcony? Of course, I'm one of those folk who loves the 'Sweet Sixteen' & C-1 aft balconies on the M-Class ships. And, I can tell you which cabins on the slant have the biggest balconies, on S-Class ships.  So, unless there are some secret, fabulously oversized balconies on Edge, I'll take a pass on booking that ship -- at least for now. :classic_sad:

I think that’s been the big problem regarding edge on here on multiple threads, some people can’t just accept it’s not for everyone and feel they have to defend the ship regardless. You can actually have an opinion without having sailed on the ship. We also love the slant balconies on S class ships and are in one in September this year.

7 minutes ago, yorky said:

I think that’s been the big problem regarding edge on here on multiple threads, some people can’t just accept it’s not for everyone and feel they have to defend the ship regardless. You can actually have an opinion without having sailed on the ship. We also love the slant balconies on S class ships and are in one in September this year.

Well, of course you can (have a valid opinion without having sailed on a particular ship). However, when someone who HAS sailed on that ship defends their position on it, that doesn't necessarily make them a cheerleader.

Oh, and I love the S-Class slant balconies. Took me a LONG time to figure out just how the first and third balconies 'off the hump' work out to be so much bigger. But once I sailed in one, I got it! 😎

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:34 PM, cruisestitch said:

The category 1A and 1B rooms are the “in the hull” balconies.  They have sliding glass doors, curtains, and they do not have a window that goes up and down (and can be operated from the bridge)

BD3A5269-E28E-496F-A7C6-BDCF75AC2AFD.jpeg

I know this is the "regular" balcony, but the actual balcony is so enclosed, it seems obstructed, though technically this one you show isn't really obstructed. Well maybe the small amount of a lift or whatever the white bars are on the right. Also, there is the tiny, uncomfortable looking deck furniture. I don't know if we would like this at all. I'm hoping this isn't going to be the deck furniture on the reimagined, Edgified Summit, but if they are redoing everything else...this type of furniture may be what we are seeing in September. 

Edited by bermadu22
Typo

51 minutes ago, Pennstateman said:

Money talks

and celebrity is making tons of it from edge

If fuel is +40% of their costs and this ship is 40% more fuel efficient... then (forgetting the cost of the ship)... their cost per passenger is likely lower than for other ships.... if they can get more than double per cabin that they get on another ship... it is a very profitable venture... even if they sell fewer cabins they are ahead of the game. While I am sure they would prefer to have full ships at double... sailing with say 147 empty cabins out of 1470.... they are raking it in. Rent out a couple of the big suites... and they really do well. So for all the issues with IV cabin... I think it will be a while before they feel pressure to drop prices... instead... just give away the items that cost them very little like wifi and drink packages... to bring occupancy up a tad...  Overall, I think they are basically pleased... now they may be concerned that once the newness factor fades and if negative IV cabin reviews persist (hard to fix)... well it may be more challenging to keep up occupancy.. then they may change...  or find more fair skinned people like me who don't go out in the sun and like IV for its porch feeling 🙂 

1 hour ago, yorky said:

I agree and recently posted similar sentiments .  Seems some cannot accept that others  do not love the EDGE the way they  do.  Not sure why  it upsets them so much that others have different opinions. 

Those who love it can enjoy it, those who don't will book elsewhere or make comments/ suggestions they hope X will  take into consideration.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

I agree and recently posted similar sentiments .  Seems some cannot accept that others  do not love the EDGE the way they  do.  Not sure why  it upsets them so much that others have different opinions. 

Those who love it can enjoy it, those who don't will book elsewhere or make comments/ suggestions they hope X will  take into consideration.

If you are referring to me, I never said I loved this ship, our short cruise had issues.  I did not hate the IV veranda as saw it had some positives and for sure negatives. Perhaps you are confusing fact checking those who haven’t sailed on Edge to loving it.

Katie

11 hours ago, Pennstateman said:

Money talks

and celebrity is making tons of it from edge

That makes me super DUPER happy, Penn! Thank you for telling me! Celebrity totally need it too!! 

Edited by B-Rizzle

Fact is that there are many cabin classes on the edge. I personally think the IV cabins aren’t worth the price difference over a ocean view cabin. I wouldn’t pay that much more for a window that opens. However I don’t think that would keep me off the ship. I would love to book it. Especially now that they are giving the go best package as promotion. I would just book a sunset veranda or a ocean view. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, trucker den said:

I would just book.....a ocean view. 

At the current prices, one has to decide if it’s worth such a compromise: repeating the same old itineraries for major bucks in an OV compared to booking a proper balcony on S class ships. The SV are probably the best non suite cabins, as was thought when the first renderings were released, so they are even more expensive 😮! Only you know whether it’s worth that just to say you’ve been on a brand new ship 🤷‍♀️? Perhaps those that sail for itineraries may think differently - horses for courses 😉. Now if I was getting it free, like some pax have been offered, I’d probably think completely differently :classic_rolleyes:.

12 hours ago, Oville said:

If you are referring to me, I never said I loved this ship, our short cruise had issues.  I did not hate the IV veranda as saw it had some positives and for sure negatives. Perhaps you are confusing fact checking those who haven’t sailed on Edge to loving it.

Katie

Actually no. .You have always given a fair review. Plus you are not "invested" in EDGE the way some others are. Not sure why you think I was referring to you specifically.

Others seem like they are defending a monumental change in  the Celebrity product and experience....and don't want anyone to be critical or negative about the ship in any way.   The differences of opinions about EDGE remind me of the old dress code and loud music threads.

But the fact is that the IVs are not as huge a hit as X anticipated!

Edited by hcat

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

….But the fact is that the IVs are not as huge a hit as X anticipated!

I think it's fair to say that this is an understatement.  The Edge is a fresh new ship with plenty of new and attractive features but the IV balconies are an inherent design flaw that affects many of the cabins.  The questions are: 1) Will Celebrity continue to build any Edge class ships beyond the Apex.  2) Where will Celebrity deploy the Edge ships to get the most benefit from the IV balcony features  3) Can Celebrity make enough money from the Suite passengers to make this design concept profitable.

I think we will find one of the Edge class ships year round in New York and the second in Alaska/Asia.

Problem with cooler climate is that much of EDGE,  aside from the IVs and a smaller Solarium pool ,  is very much outside,, Ex.:  suite class sun/ pool deck,  Rooftop area, large outdoor pool area. Not sure  if Eden, Club , cafe Baccio, and the Plaza  would be enough space... but I guess they manage on M and S Class???

Not sure where the ships will go eventually, but someone  recently posted that EDGE and APEX would be in Florida with other ships elsewhere....I did not check the recent schedules...we are booked into 2020 so not looking for anything else  at this point

23 hours ago, Pennstateman said:

We see no reason to try anything new like the so-called infinite veranda.  We think the status quo is always best.

People buying things from a website whithout going to a store?  Ridiculous.

Love,

Sears Roebuck and Company 

As someone said on another thread, I don’t have to actually set my hair on fire to know I’m not going to enjoy it.  I don’t want to spend the sort of money that Edge or Apex is going to cost me to confirm that an IV cabin is not for me, when I already have several clues given to me by other cruisers.  I recently saw an Edge balcony cabin on a Transatlantic priced at more than $5000/person.  For a similar price, I can sail on a luxury line instead, where I know I’m going to like the cabin.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

As someone said on another thread, I don’t have to actually set my hair on fire to know I’m not going to enjoy it.  I don’t want to spend the sort of money that Edge or Apex is going to cost me to confirm that an IV cabin is not for me, when I already have several clues given to me by other cruisers.  I recently saw an Edge balcony cabin on a Transatlantic priced at more than $5000/person.  For a similar price, I can sail on a luxury line instead, where I know I’m going to like the cabin.

We’re happy for you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Problem with cooler climate is that much of EDGE,  aside from the IVs and a smaller Solarium pool ,  is very much outside,, Ex.:  suite class sun/ pool deck,  Rooftop area, large outdoor pool area. Not sure  if Eden, Club , cafe Baccio, and the Plaza  would be enough space... but I guess they manage on M and S Class???

Not sure where the ships will go eventually, but someone  recently posted that EDGE and APEX would be in Florida with other ships elsewhere....I did not check the recent schedules...we are booked into 2020 so not looking for anything else  at this point

There are a lot of outdoor areas including the outdoor seating in Fine Cut Steakhouse, Eden Cafe and I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the other outdoor dining seating.

I do wonder what Edge will be like in bad weather. There are not many places to hang out indoors... vs S class. But I think I liked the atrium area on Edge better than S class. I know many do not like the Martini bar as much... but I did like it... just wish it was easier to get to if you can't do stairs. The chairs were much better than on S class (except the velvety ones that people were slipping out of...) But if it rains that place will be beyond crowded...

Just now, kearney said:

I do wonder what Edge will be like in bad weather. There are not many places to hang out indoors... vs S class. But I think I liked the atrium area on Edge better than S class. I know many do not like the Martini bar as much... but I did like it... just wish it was easier to get to if you can't do stairs. The chairs were much better than on S class (except the velvety ones that people were slipping out of...) But if it rains that place will be beyond crowded...

It was beyond crowded in the sunshine.

21 hours ago, bermadu22 said:

I know this is the "regular" balcony, but the actual balcony is so enclosed, it seems obstructed, though technically this one you show isn't really obstructed. Well maybe the small amount of a lift or whatever the white bars are on the right. Also, there is the tiny, uncomfortable looking deck furniture. I don't know if we would like this at all. I'm hoping this isn't going to be the deck furniture on the reimagined, Edgified Summit, but if they are redoing everything else...this type of furniture may be what we are seeing in September. 

I’m getting claustrophobia just looking at this balcony! 

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Perhaps I've missed your review, but I haven't seen complaints about the Edge being crowded in the sunshine.  Can you provide some more detail or provide a link to a previous discussion?

I believe she was talking about the Martini bar... vs the ship