Infinity verandas? Just windows?

trucker den

4 hours ago, villauk said:

VT,

Were you on the top deck of cabins or does every IV have that overhang like in your photos i.e. the drop down windows aren’t flush, they are set back on the outside?

Interesting thought - we were on a bump out (you have probably seen that there are several bump outs all over the ship). I wonder if that does make a difference in the feel. We are having a cabin crawl next Tuesday and will have some IVs to check out. I will make sure to check out if they are on bump outs and if that makes a difference. Thanks! 🙂

image.thumb.png.3ce887f1734e9ae8fedeccaae9a927f5.png

9 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

The IV balcony seems pretty much like a "french" balcony.....you can open to the outside, but you really can't sit outside.  Reminds me of our river boat cruises.

CORRECT ..

It's still a pig, lipstick or not...

So if I go into my bedroom, which has very large windows, take the screens off of one of the largest and set a small table and two chairs near it I can experience the "Revolutionary" Infinite Veranda in my own home.  

The only difference would be that I could wave to my neighbors as they walked by and not the ocean or people walking around at a port. 

38 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

The IV balcony seems pretty much like a "french" balcony.....you can open to the outside, but you really can't sit outside.  Reminds me of our river boat cruises.

That's what a lot of people have been comparing them to since they were announced, but I've never been in a French balcony cabin so can't compare.

Do those have doors to enclose the balcony area?

Edited by vtcruising

But unless you can do a suite  no real options other than a sunset veranda..they are priced higher...but can't wait to try one   ..still the same unfortunate balc  furniture

Edited by hcat

There is a term called a "French Balcony" that is used by some River cruise companies and hotels to describe a balcony that is not really a balcony...but rather a large (floor to ceiling) opening.  After seeing pictures and reading some posts it sounds like many of these "infinity balconies" on the Edge are more of a marketing con then fact.  It would appear that part of your interior cabin becomes your "infinity balcony."  They often do this on river boats because they must keep the beam (width) of the boat narrow enough to fit through river locks.  On a cruise ship it is a cute idea which certainly saves on weight (a real balcony).  On the other hand, DW and I live our real verandahs on cruise ships because they actually can be used as a 2nd room.  For example, if DW wants to sleep late (normal) and I am up early....it is easy for me to quietly sit on our veranda and read..while she continues to sleep (undisturbed) inside.  Bottom line is that we are not "wowed" by the so-called "infinity balcony" which sounds like a made up marketing term.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

There is a term called a "French Balcony" that is used by some River cruise companies and hotels to describe a balcony that is not really a balcony...but rather a large (floor to ceiling) opening.  After seeing pictures and reading some posts it sounds like many of these "infinity balconies" on the Edge are more of a marketing con then fact.  It would appear that part of your interior cabin becomes your "infinity balcony."  They often do this on river boats because they must keep the beam (width) of the boat narrow enough to fit through river locks.  On a cruise ship it is a cute idea which certainly saves on weight (a real balcony).  On the other hand, DW and I live our real verandahs on cruise ships because they actually can be used as a 2nd room.  For example, if DW wants to sleep late (normal) and I am up early....it is easy for me to quietly sit on our veranda and read..while she continues to sleep (undisturbed) inside.  Bottom line is that we are not "wowed" by the so-called "infinity balcony" which sounds like a made up marketing term.

Hank

Funny, we enjoyed our Infinite Veranda not Infinity Balcony .  It was very private and peaceful unlike our last Infinity, the ship, cruise where we had nightly screaming are you ready to partee by our neighboring cabin every day for what seemed to be hours.😉 The space was small but the chairs were comfy.  Certainly room service for breakfast was out of the question.

Not sure we are sold on the Edge but will be back on January 20th in an aft S1 and again in April in an AQ cabin.

Finally you mentioned you are not wowed, have you sailed on Edge?

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oville said:

Funny, we enjoyed our Infinite Veranda not Infinity Balcony .  It was very private and peaceful unlike our last Infinity, the ship, cruise where we had nightly screaming are you ready to partee by our neighboring cabin day.  The space was small but the chairs were comfy.  Certainly room service for breakfast was out of the question.

Not sure we are sold on the Edge but will be back on January 20th in an aft S1 and again in April in an AQ cabin.

Finally you mentioned you are not wowed, have you sailed on Edge?

No, we have not sailed on the Edge and she is currently not on our long or short plans.  While we sometimes cruise 100+ days a year, we have been gradually turned off by Celebrity cut-backs (in terms of cuisine and entertainment).  Lately we have gravitated towards some of the luxury cruise options (MSC Yacht Club, Seabourn, etc) which really do not cost much more then the Edge (actually less costly in terms of what is delivered for the price).  If, and when, Celebrity prices their Edge Class ships at a decent price point..and if they offer a decent itinerary..then perhaps.  

As to the AQ thing,  we have done that quite a few times on the S-Class ships (we do love those ships).  But our last two experiences in Aqua left us shaking our heads and wondering..."why are we paying extra for Blu."  So on our last cruise (Eclipse) we saved a bundle by booking a very normal balcony (later upgraded to Concierge) and with some of our savings purchased a dine around plan that had us enjoying most meals (for 21 days) in Murano.  Say what you want about Blu, but Murano is in an entirely different class.

Hank

16 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

No, we have not sailed on the Edge and she is currently not on our long or short plans.  While we sometimes cruise 100+ days a year, we have been gradually turned off by Celebrity cut-backs (in terms of cuisine and entertainment).  Lately we have gravitated towards some of the luxury cruise options (MSC Yacht Club, Seabourn, etc) which really do not cost much more then the Edge (actually less costly in terms of what is delivered for the price).  If, and when, Celebrity prices their Edge Class ships at a decent price point..and if they offer a decent itinerary..then perhaps.  

As to the AQ thing,  we have done that quite a few times on the S-Class ships (we do love those ships).  But our last two experiences in Aqua left us shaking our heads and wondering..."why are we paying extra for Blu."  So on our last cruise (Eclipse) we saved a bundle by booking a very normal balcony (later upgraded to Concierge) and with some of our savings purchased a dine around plan that had us enjoying most meals (for 21 days) in Murano.  Say what you want about Blu, but Murano is in an entirely different class.

Hank

Hank, I have for years appreciated your comments here on CC and I’ll leave it at that.  There are many on CC with opinions about the Edge without stepping on board.  Katie

8 hours ago, Oville said:

Hank, I have for years appreciated your comments here on CC and I’ll leave it at that.  There are many on CC with opinions about the Edge without stepping on board.  Katie

I really think you need to give the constant comments about people having never set foot on edge a rest, it really is getting very boring. Yes you can actually read the many comments, look at the hundreds of photos online, and watch the many, many videos posted online and make a sound judgement on whether Edge is going to work for you. Again Hank never stated he had sailed on the ship and the comment was uncalled for.

We will be in AQ on 1/27 and have followed EDGE  for quite awhile...we are looking forward to our cruise so we can assess our  some of  our pre opinions against our actual expetience. 

We are  very grateful to those who have posted deck plans, photos, videos and commentary. That' s one of the benefits of  the Cruise Critic  Community.!

We are very pleased with our switch to AQ cabin on Deck 9...no  bump out  issues.  First cabin we had was on Deck 10,   which was indented, two cabins  from the bump out.  The one next door closer to the bump out was eventually re classified as obstructed view.  Glad we are outta there!

Another great benefit of moving was getting a bed by bath in the new pick....Dealing with a bedside so near the folding door track looks hazardous.. and cramped...poor design to accomodate the big bed! 

Another benefit ( we hope) is the low seating  sofa location in this cabin It is closeer to the window area..esp with no loungers in the veranda area..so maybe a view?

We see no reason to try anything new like the so-called infinite veranda.  We think the status quo is always best.

People buying things from a website whithout going to a store?  Ridiculous.

Love,

Sears Roebuck and Company 

Edited by Pennstateman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

We see no reason to listen to long-time loyal customers who want fuel efficient, full-featured, high quality cars at a reasonable price.

People buying cheap cars from Japan? Ridiculous.

Love,

General Motors, Ford, Chrysler

South Korean cars?

please

2 hours ago, Pennstateman said:

We see no reason to try anything new like the so-called infinite veranda.  We think the status quo is always best.

Love,

Have you ever heard of a Sears Roebuck catalogue?  Are you aware that for many years houses could be purchased through a Sears catalogue?

Be not the first by which the new is tried, nor the last to cast the old aside.    Wisdom that still has it's appeal to many people.

Edited by BosoxI

12 minutes ago, BosoxI said:

Have you ever heard of a Sears Roebuck catalogue?  Are you aware that for many years houses could be purchased through a Sears catalogue?

Be not the first by which the new is tried, nor the last to cast the old aside.    Wisdom that still has it's appeal to many people.

sears also owns Kmart who once laughed at a country bumpkin named Sam Walton.  Yeah, new things never work 

Edited by Pennstateman

Yep, and they laughed at the Yugo, too.

Oh, wait, that was NEW... and a DISASTER.

And the EDSEL....and...

All new shiny things are not better by default.

Particularly the IV, where it appears difficult, if not impossible,

to eat a meal or lounge comfortably, appears to be a non-starter for many.

1 minute ago, bookitdanno said:

Yep, and they laughed at the Yugo, too.

Oh, wait, that was NEW... and a DISASTER.

And the EDSEL....and...

All new shiny things are not better by default.

Particularly the IV, where it appears difficult, if not impossible,

to eat a meal or lounge comfortably, appears to be a non-starter for many.

Yeah seems like they’re only getting double the rate of regular cabins and millions of dollars of free publicity.

bad move

1 minute ago, bookitdanno said:

Lots of cancellations, too.

What was it PT Barnum said.....

Wait til the glitter wears off.

Not so many cancellations.  Few cabins available 

pt Barnum was worth billions 

but why let facts get in the way of negativity 

4 hours ago, Pennstateman said:

Love,

Wow. That signature takes us back a bit. How long has it been since "Roebuck" was part of the Sears name?

34 minutes ago, Pennstateman said:

Not so many cancellations.  Few cabins available 

pt Barnum was worth billions 

but why let facts get in the way of negativity 

Or the fact some new things work and some fail get in the way of the defence of everything Edge ?