Infinity verandas? Just windows?

trucker den

Am I missing something? The infinity verandas don’t look like they have a veranda at all. Just a window that opens. Is that all they are? If so I am selling my house house and I have to inform my realtor about the many verandas he left out of the appraisal. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, trucker den said:

Am I missing something? The infinity verandas don’t look like they have a veranda at all. Just a window that opens. Is that all they are? If so I am selling my house house and I have to inform my realtor about the many verandas he left out of the appraisal. 

It's a virtual balcony!

• Haha 1

To be fair, if you close the interior balcony doors it is like one of the 'in the hull' 'balcony cabins' that older ships had. We have sailed a number of times on a shlp where the balconies are in the hull. That is what we see the IV cabin balconies as. An ' in the hull' balcony where the 'doors' can be opened out to the rest of the cabin. (If this makes sense).

I haven't experienced the IV yet, but as someone who prefers shade I am so looking forward to this!  Can't wait to be able to relax in the shade, have extra space in the room, and privacy where my neighbors can't peep around into my balcony/room!  Now if I experience extended periods of time where the captain disables the IV door I will not be happy...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cricketgirl said:

I haven't experienced the IV yet, but as someone who prefers shade I am so looking forward to this!  Can't wait to be able to relax in the shade, have extra space in the room, and privacy where my neighbors can't peep around into my balcony/room!  Now if I experience extended periods of time where the captain disables the IV door I will not be happy...

As someone who prefers shade... I think you will like the IV cabin except for two little things.... when in port while everyone is out and about... high likelihood the window will be locked for a time... unclear to me for how long... I was out and about when DH wanted to sit and read... he felt it was locked a lot. I never experienced it when I was onboard. Second the veranda is very very small.... we never closed the bifold doors... too difficult to navigate where to stand and move furniture to be able to close doors... I almost ruined the shade not realizing I had move the table too close to the track of the blinds. But the IV creates nice open ocean view that you don't get in a regular cabin. The other annoyance is not being able to peak outside to see what the weather is doing...and the bridge cam just doesn't do it for me. But other than this... I really did like the cabin, the storage... and loved loved the bathroom...very nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kearney said:

As someone who prefers shade... I think you will like the IV cabin except for two little things.... when in port while everyone is out and about... high likelihood the window will be locked for a time... unclear to me for how long... I was out and about when DH wanted to sit and read... he felt it was locked a lot. I never experienced it when I was onboard. Second the veranda is very very small.... we never closed the bifold doors... too difficult to navigate where to stand and move furniture to be able to close doors... I almost ruined the shade not realizing I had move the table too close to the track of the blinds. But the IV creates nice open ocean view that you don't get in a regular cabin. The other annoyance is not being able to peak outside to see what the weather is doing...and the bridge cam just doesn't do it for me. But other than this... I really did like the cabin, the storage... and loved loved the bathroom...very nice.

They are closed in port for however long it takes the window washer to do his job.  Definitely more than an hour, my estimate would be a few hours, from what we experienced. Also I if rain is forecasted, and let's not forget embarkation and debarkation day.  

ALso, when the window is open the AC shuts off whether or not you close the glass doors separating the main cabin from the IV area, so it does get hot and steamy rather quickly. I'm not claustrophobic, but when the doors are closed it is a tight space.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kearney said:

Thanks for this info Kearney, I am the type of person that likes to know what to expect and this information is quite helpful.  Sounds like I won't be closing the bi-fold doors and may need to adjust my expectations of using the IV when in port.  Absolutely looking forward to the IV, I think I am the exact type of customer they designed this for - the shade, the extra room and the added privacy I think will be such a welcome change! 

52 minutes ago, miched said:

Is it better to have the bed by the bath than the bifold doors in a IV cabin?

Thanks.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We liked the bed by the bath. Friends who had the reverse arrangement on our Edge cruise, took one look at our cabin and decided ours had definite advantages- the nightstand by the closet is bigger, it is easier to access the IV and the couch position allows for direct views outward.  

We specifically changed cabins to have the bed by the veranda... the reason was DH decided to try a scooter and I could not get an answer from Celebrity about whether it would fit into a cabin with bed by bath. Cabin worked out well. I loved laying in bed and looking out the window. I also like the privacy of knowing that it is almost impossible for someone to peak around the wall into the cabin. I know not a typical issue with most cabins on ships...but I worry about odd things like this.

I slept on side of bed by veranda... you have about 12-13" between bed and the track for the bifold doors.. enough room for me to get out of bed... but not really enough room to move furniture around to close the bifold doors. If we did not need scooter I would prefer bed by bath... to open up the space more. I think under that configuration the veranda would seem more spacious and the bifold doors would function better.

As I have said I did like the IV cabin...  I loved the clear view of the ocean... just disappointed that the size of the veranda was not what was presented in the video used to sell the cabin.... misleading...but then they may not have realized the impact of walls and required mechanics on the size of the veranda.  There are more plugs than on other ships... from outlet next to bed to one in bathroom along with the odd box of outlets... which I still don't understand.... ubs plug by bed and on the phone... so both of us could charge phones.

App is not user friendly and constantly had to reconnect... cool to be able to control tv, lights and blinds from phone... but unnecessary feature. A few key points I want to repeat. When you push volume on TV a voice calls out... annoying when someone is trying to sleep...but if you use phone... no noise.  The 'scenes' option on phone is cool...but if you hit 'morning' your lights to on AND shade goes up... so keep that in mind. You can control blinds height if you use the controls by the window... if you use the app or the control by bathroom the shades go up or down all the way. I did not use app to open the door... I tend to leave phone behind... I want to unplug.

If you do not buy wifi... I found using the free 90 minutes Elites get.. difficult. I could not figure out how log back on after I originally set up the account.... I had to ask at guest services... I would tell you here but I have forgotten... but if you have trouble ask them.  

If you get regular classic package (our first time) you can get basic cocktails at Martini bar... it was not clear early on if you could...  I started out asking for a pina colada.. and got one... regular martini also, manhattan, whiskey sour... all okay. So no $15 martinis for us.

Scooter charging issues kinda impacted our visits to Eden so we never saw the evening show.. only saw Edenists once in the martini bar... did not seem disruptive and while other saw them we didn't so they couldn't have been that disruptive.

Shops too high end... even the Edge stuff was very pricey $95 shirt... that sort of thing. Fortunately as part of inaugural cruise we were given an Edge aluminum water bottle. Part of their effort to get rid of plastic.... I though drinking out of aluminum was bad for you... wasn't that the old thing from the 90s. Anyway... the reviews are helpful to give you an idea on what to expect... but you really have to see for yourself.

12 hours ago, miched said:

Is it better to have the bed by the bath than the bifold doors in a IV cabin?

Thanks.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It's always better to have the bed as close as possible to the bath. For those who mix their drinks, trying to maximize their premium beverage package investment, the wine, vodka, tequila, and gran marnier, as a conglomerate stomach cocktail, will take it's toll. Normally sometime between 0217 and 0219. Then there is the issue of mixing entrees at dinner. Fish, prime rib, pork chops, and filet mignon. Followed by three desserts. All mixed with the stomach cocktail. Being near the bath is a really good idea. Especially if the damn veranda window won't open.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

It's always better to have the bed as close as possible to the bath. For those who mix their drinks, trying to maximize their premium beverage package investment, the wine, vodka, tequila, and gran marnier, as a conglomerate stomach cocktail, will take it's toll. Normally sometime between 0217 and 0219. Then there is the issue of mixing entrees at dinner. Fish, prime rib, pork chops, and filet mignon. Followed by three desserts. All mixed with the stomach cocktail. Being near the bath is a really good idea. Especially if the damn veranda window won't open.

LOL.😁

As I have said, I was not a fan of the IVs for us from the first that I heard of them, because it seemed like a cabin with a window that dropped down. I figured some would love them because of enjoying the views in the shade, while we would rather bake in the open sun (if you were here in VT today, you would understand 🙂). I did think that having the extra open space in the cabin would be nice (and I do like to play with electronic gadgets) so was a bit jealous of those who had booked them.

When we were able to stay in an IV for two nights, we were both pleasantly surprised that it didn't feel like a cabin with just a window that drops down. It would be nice if the balcony were a bit bigger and I reported back the very first morning about the issues of partners waking at different times that some had predicted on the Edge Forum. The balcony size can't be fixed on this ship, but the curtain that's been discussed in front of the bifold doors would go a long way to fixing the partners with different wake schedules problem. We didn't have the blast of hot air, the wind tunnel or the dirty windows or have it locked, but maybe we weren't there long enough to experience those or maybe it was because we were on 12 and didn't get the spray to dirty the windows and had an overhang so maybe it didn't suck in the hot air. The locking of the windows may decrease over time as they get into a routine with cleaning and maybe they will better know which weather situations truly warrant it, as they get to know the ship. Hopefully, they also will do something to make room service work.

The true deal breaker for us would be that feeling that it is just a cabin with a window that dropped down. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the views in the lower window and the views and feel of the ocean at the rail with the glass down. I also was surprised when I was sorting pictures today, to see how nice of a view we did have. Here are a few photos.

There was lots of light in the cabin.

image.thumb.png.41715ec01959fedd630656be8f3b658c.png

View out lower part of window with shade part way down.

image.thumb.png.5c87efd9fd579440ad0ebab6c4962c7c.png

A view from the lower half while seated.

image.thumb.png.5b5c6ebb85eaeb466d3e6aaa25e729b2.png

Some views while standing at the rail, which felt very nice.

image.thumb.png.b5295c11fc78911191f18116b835d897.png

Looking down at a tender arriving at the MC.

image.thumb.png.431383232afa03345f935ec8fbecfdcc.png

More views from the rail

image.thumb.png.f5643ac93ec1cd4fe6376b17f24ed989.png

image.thumb.png.27674c1d527cb3f7d4567a32a3f939f3.png

Gorgeous night view below, of the MC on 5

image.thumb.png.91f697017761186b1b02f864e5aed4ef.png

A helicopter taking pictures next to the ship

image.thumb.png.d6ea048047ab471497477af7a3984f0a.png

Another nice view of the MC lit up and the sunset.

image.thumb.png.4c19f140341fb230a3d2a6af472af626.png

So, is the IV for everyone? No, and likely not for us, unless for a cooler weather cruise, but it is more than a window in a cabin, IMO. Standing at the rail felt to me like I was on a balcony, though with much more privacy (except when the helicopter was hovering nearby 😉). I'm not trying to convince people to book them as much as trying to give people who have never been in one (and thought as I did that it wouldn't feel like a balcony) a feel of what I saw and felt on the balcony part of the cabin.

The rest of the cabin and bathroom is pretty awesome. If they work out some bugs, this could be a nice option. It will be interesting how this plays out.

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1