Four Perks now on the EDGE! what does that say???

bookitdanno

18 hours ago, killsport said:

I agree with @cruiserchuck

This is a ploy to keep the prices inflated (so that management can report to the board how financially successful the ship is -- by average revenue per passenger). And clicking on that link was entertaining for the prices. Sample booking on Feb 10, 2019 sailing:

Inside - $1299 (no perks)

Oceanview - $2299 (all 4 "free" perks)

Veranda - $2649 (again, all 4 "free" perks)

It is clear they are struggling to fill the cabins at the rates they want to charge. The rates will adjust over the next few months (IMHO) as reviews have not been overly positive (the opposite in many cases). Additionally, at those rates, people can choose other, more luxurious lines such as Azamara, Silver Sea, or Viking Ocean.

I comprehend why people who bought early and got semi-reasonable rates are going on the ship, but I just don't see the value for those paying these sorts of rates above. Just beyond my reasoning.... However, the price should be what someone is WILLING TO PAY. And as long as enough people are willing to pay what Celebrity is asking, the rates will stay. The usual supply and demand lines from high school economics classes still work, even in the 21st century. 😀

I’m glad l’m on the Silhouette leaving Fort Lauderdale on Feb 10.  I have a real balcony with 2 perks for 12 nights for $1800.  As long as the differences are this large, I’ll just stay on the Silhouette and be very happy.

The Edge was overpriced when rolled out.   A few weeks later the prices were doubled and never went down.  They now increased the prices again but added 4 “free” perks. 

The targeted market of new younger cruisers would be the only ones that they will fool and apparently that targeted market isn’t biting or not interested because the price is even too high for them.  

The cruises that were all sold sold out now have many cabins available because it is after final payment, but they can’t lower the price because they would just be resold to many of those that canceled and basically reward them for doing that.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Well, I got excited when I saw that and did a dummy booking for an Aqua class Edge in Nov, 2020.  The price with the 4 perks was close to 9K vs the 5700 price tag of my 2 perks.  I was floored and I could see a first timer taking a look at that and writing off ever cruising on the Edge.  Crazy.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:21 PM, shipshape sam said:

Me either. More accurate to say 'included in your cruise fare are 4 perks'.  

I also have been disappointed in itineraries.  It sucks to say that I am now booked on a Carnival cruise this coming spring.  It was priced right, and nice itinerary.  

Let me first say that I enjoy Carnival cruises and have 16 under my belt. I've sailed the flagship Horizon twice last  year and will be on it again in April and the newly renovated & renamed Sunrise in June. 

Definitely two totally different experiences and although they are both considered mainstream cruise lines they are on the opposite spectrums of that category. You really can't compare the two lines. I never sit out by the main pool deck on any Carnival ship because it's crazy, packed, noisy and frantic atmosphere, and that's exactly what people want! I usually hang out at the adult only Serenity area. 

Carnival's staterooms are as budget as you can get. All plastic bathrooms in blue and shower curtains even on the newest ship. Not one piece of real artwork can be found on any Carnival ship. It's really as opposite to what the Edge is as your can get. 

But I enjoy my Carnival cruises for what they are. The production shows on the new Horizon were all great! You will never hear anyone complain on a Carnival cruise;people are there to have a fun time, not to nick pick about every little thing. 

One thing I won't be doing on any Carnival cruise is admiring the beauty of the ship or the stateroom. But then again that's not what a Carnival cruise is about. Different things for different reasons! 

I am excited about my April TA...have an S1 corner aft...sailing with 4 other cruise buddies and I paid 10,400 total for two.  I know what to expect, so I am ready.  If I do not like it, I have a fall TA on Reflection, and will cancel my 2020 European cruise.  Happy to have a plan in place!!!  However, Celebrity is on notice!

Given I managed to get the Solstice on a 16 day cruise a couple weeks ago for under A$200 (US$140ish) a day with standard drinks included, in a guaranteed balcony, which I have now been informed got bumped to Deluxe.... why, oh why, would I pay multiples of that amount for the Edge? I always assumed pricing would be silly until the second Edge class was launched. Love the look of the ships, but I can wait. There's plenty of good looking new ships out there, and heaps more to come. I am curious to give the new MSC liners a chance, for example. They appear to be good value for money judging by other cruise lines.

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Let me first say that I enjoy Carnival cruises and have 16 under my belt. I've sailed the flagship Horizon twice last  year and will be on it again in April and the newly renovated & renamed Sunrise in June. 

Definitely two totally different experiences and although they are both considered mainstream cruise lines they are on the opposite spectrums of that category. You really can't compare the two lines. I never sit out by the main pool deck on any Carnival ship because it's crazy, packed, noisy and frantic atmosphere, and that's exactly what people want! I usually hang out at the adult only Serenity area. 

Carnival's staterooms are as budget as you can get. All plastic bathrooms in blue and shower curtains even on the newest ship. Not one piece of real artwork can be found on any Carnival ship. It's really as opposite to what the Edge is as your can get. 

But I enjoy my Carnival cruises for what they are. The production shows on the new Horizon were all great! You will never hear anyone complain on a Carnival cruise;people are there to have a fun time, not to nick pick about every little thing. 

One thing I won't be doing on any Carnival cruise is admiring the beauty of the ship or the stateroom. But then again that's not what a Carnival cruise is about. Different things for different reasons! 

Glad you enjoy Carnival.

We are sailing with friends that have over 2 dozens sailings on Carnival and in part my 'sucks' comment is that I am getting close to Elite Plus and not sailing as much, thus a lost opportunity to get closer.  Having said this, I am glad we pulled the trigger and are sailing Carnival to get a new view of Carnival vs my poor view of Carnival from our last sailing of Carnival Glory many years ago.  

As far as room decor, I don't spent much time in cabin and have no issue with plastic.  I do like clean cabins, do not care about, art auctions, the pool, hot tubs, the spa, the gym, production shows on our 34th sailing.  At least for me, I like the view of the water, the breeze, the smell, relaxing lounger chair in the shade, the sound of the wake, a good craft beer in hand, my DW and sailing friends, nice ports of call, a good wine, a great martini, good comedians, live band music to dance with DW.  We do like to enjoy the speciality restaurants too and will hope MDR on Carnival will be good.  Like buffet food too, which brings me back to my 'sucks' comment.  I hope I am pleasantly surprised because if so, we will sail Carnival more and forget about Elite Plus and Diamond Plus of which we are 2-3 cruises away from on each line.

Thanks for you post and wishing you a great next cruise. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 12:41 PM, cruiserchuck said:

Some of the current pricing on the Edge is just ridiculous.  For the April transatlantic, an obstructed view veranda cabin is $5399 per person, for a 15 night cruise.  On the Reflection transatlantic, an obstructed view veranda cabin is $1199 per person for a 14 night cruise.  

There is no way I would pay over four times as much to cruise on the Edge vs. the Reflection.  Since it is a transatlantic, Celebrity is not offering any free perks on either cruise.  I suspect the Edge pricing will drop considerably after final payment is due two weeks from now.

A few days after final payment date, Celebrity has dropped prices by $1000 per person on a balcony cabin on the Edge April transatlantic.  i suspect prices will drop further as the cruise gets closer.

The Edge is probably overpriced by 35-40% at least.

For example: We just booked the Summit for this April in an AquaClass veranda with a beverage package, paid gratuities, and $650 OBC for $2,850 total. I don’t think I can get an inside room on the Edge for that amount.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:37 PM, hubofhockey said:

I don't understand why they are rolling out this same strategy fleet wide.  A TA for an upcoming cruise said that for ONLY an additional $1450 for each of you ($2900), I can upgrade you to a suite with Retreat, etc.  In other words, cost of cruise, instead of my $5150 for 12 nights Aqua class would be $8050.  I guess there are some people who think the $8050 for a suite is a better value than $5150 for Aqua, but I don't know these people.

On a TA with no perks and a lot of sea days, the extra space, Michaels Club I would take it.  Then I would transfer to my TA and get about $800 refundable OBC.   Just priced a 10 day cruise in AZamara in a veranda, it was $8200.  

On 1/11/2019 at 2:40 PM, bookitdanno said:

It tells me that all ships are included in the sales... for however long they will have the saie.

Either get it at this time or not...

bon voyage

On 1/11/2019 at 3:46 PM, BosoxI said:

Celebrity gives nothing away without reason, so they must have some concern over the bookings to date.  We canceled our first Edge cruise  which would have been in April.  Our IV cabin would now cost over $2000 more than what we would have been paying.  But I just counted the empty IV cabins on that cruise and there are 46 of them  That does not strike me as being a lot on a cruise three month away.  I wonder how many IV cabins Edge has. 

I can tell you from personal knowledge that the future cruises desk is hearing so many complaints and concerns and NOT selling the ship.  Even with all the extra on-board "perks" offered, no one is buying.  BUT the S class and M class are selling out very quickly.  "Someone" better wake up and see what is happening before it's too late and "they" have 4 ships that won't make revenue to pay for them.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:00 PM, Palms2Pines2Sea said:

I have it from a very reliable source that cancellations on Edge bookings have been coming in fast and furious. The April Transatlantic is now showing several categories available when a week ago there were only suites.

I think it's likely that Edge pricing and deals will be sweetened substantially in the near future.

😎

You have a reliable source so it is true?  Is it Lisa Lutoff-Perlo?

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:57 PM, cruise kitty said:

$1000 a day for an obstructed open window cabin?  (that is sometimes locked)  Does Celebrity not realize that people have access to this thing called the internet where they can price shop cruises?   Hilarious (& kind of sad)

Consider that one can cruise on MSC in their Yacht Club for about $300 per person/day.  And the YC is quite exclusive with its own section of the ship, pool deck, restaurant, 24 hr concierge, etc.   We even have an upcoming cruise on Seabourn in a suite which costs a lot less then the Edge.  Would we cruise on the Edge?  Yes, if the price were competitive for a balcony cabin or suite (we have no interest in a large window that opens).  

Hank

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Consider that one can cruise on MSC in their Yacht Club for about $300 per person/day.  And the YC is quite exclusive with its own section of the ship, pool deck, restaurant, 24 hr concierge, etc.   We even have an upcoming cruise on Seabourn in a suite which costs a lot less then the Edge.  Would we cruise on the Edge?  Yes, if the price were competitive for a balcony cabin or suite (we have no interest in a large window that opens).  

Hank

I'm feeling the same way about the Edge class, looks like a beautiful ship, but not at the prices they are asking right now.  There's too many other choices out there right now.  

And with MSC doing a status match, it pretty much makes it a no brainer.