New dinner on "O"- Hello HAL- please take notice!

frankc98376

1 hour ago, frankc98376 said:

O just announced this new dinner. Hoping HAL will take notice- we would definitely sign on in a heartbeat.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/3658/&source=99360/?fbclid=IwAR3va6m2JKbmyW6_vkVy4s1vx7z4sL6ZDmE-SERkkvdLvK9qtgFQO4yuewU

We wouldn't be interested.  $295 PP.   $590 for two.

I would expect that HAL could host this on a two-top.

Edited by RocketMan275

8 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We have done special dinners on HAL but this would be one dinner I would not sign up for even though we can certainly afford it -- way too expensive.

If I  still had my beloved dh, I am  sure, we would do  that   dinner.    We have enjoyed some of  that sort and  they were incredible.    He loved them.

image.png.5e3e371aa195eb5bc9278c57ce5f177b.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, frankc98376 said:

People spend that and more for a 3 hour shore excursion. 

I would gladly spend it for a three hour diner of a lifetime 

Will be doing this dinner on 2 of our cruises with O next year. Just got the info yesterday.

will be doing 2B2B’s on her and yes your right with shore excursions. It was astronomical what we paid for our Manchu Pichu  trip last year with our cruise on HAL but it was once in a lifetime! We are looking forward to it.

Denise😊

• Like 1

Hahaha, what a rip off!

I can eat in a 3 Michelin star restaurant, one ofd the best in the World, with a 5 course wine-paired menu for that price.

And there, 20 Euro is plenty as tip.

Ps. “Gold leaf on top of truffle” do people really feel that they must buy this just to brag that they have money?  Or do they need such perverted things in order to improve a low self-esteem? Personal opinion, but such totally useless decadence irritates me very much in a World where there are hundreds of Millions of people who would survive a month on the cost of this gold leaf.

Edited by Despegue

Having done one of the specialty dinners on O which cost more than twice the Master Chef’s Table on HAL, my interest is not piqued.

O tends to describe things in a superlative way and it’s not necessarily the experience.

It was an interesting experience but not one that we chose to repeat (I cancelled the other pre-booked dinner).  Food was not consistent.  Some very good, some not cooked properly.

Ambience was ok, but not as nice as the Master Chef’s Table IMO.  Just my subjective opinion and one time experience.

Frankly I’d be happy if the Master Chef’s Table was available again on HAL.  I prefer that ambience and attitude of the waiters and chefs. 

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

I love good champagne; I think Dom is overrated. In any event, that write up struck me as totally pretentious. 

Agreed.  An exceptional dining opportunity is always appreciated and good wine and champagne add to the flavors of a well planned menu .  However, there is a point where we feel the cost detracts from the whole and we do not find the experience enjoyable.

We had friends that paid $400 each for a jeep excursion in Alaska.  Was self drive and had basically a recording that synced to their location by GPS.  They drove and were free to go anywhere in the city.  They could have rented a car for the day for probably less than $100 and used their iPhone for guidance but were happy to pay $800.  Everyone has their own priorities.

I can't guess what a great dinner with unlimited Dom would cost on land. I know that over the course of a long dinner we could probably drink 2 bottles so there's $400 before the food. 

Almost didn't read this because I thought "O" referred to Oprah. And I'm thinking, "She's a spokesperson for Weight Watchers. How's this going to make sense? I don't want to know how many points my dinner is."

But then I read on. 

It sounds nice and we've been to a number of winemaker's dinners over the years, but I'd be inclined to give it a pass. It sounds cool though, and I think HAL could do some outstanding things with the wineries in the Pacific Northwest.

We like a good vintner's dinner as much as the next couple*, but I'm inclined to prefer a meal with wines that are sparkling, still, red, white & rosé - including some dessert wines. If we were traveling with friends and they suggested this, we'd certainly be all in, but left to our own devices, we'd probably pass**.

* - Except for the people decrying "conspicuous consumption." IMO, they're probably not the crowd with which we'd run.

** - Because we're not savages.

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I love good champagne; I think Dom is overrated. 

Yay! I'm not the only one.  It's very good but the $$ isn't justified. 

We love both fine dining and good champagne but this dinner is a bit rich for our pocketbook even as a once in a lifetime event. I can see it belonging on a luxury line however.  

41 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Almost didn't read this because I thought "O" referred to Oprah. And I'm thinking, "She's a spokesperson for Weight Watchers. How's this going to make sense? I don't want to know how many points my dinner is."

But then I read on. 

It sounds nice and we've been to a number of winemaker's dinners over the years, but I'd be inclined to give it a pass. It sounds cool though, and I think HAL could do some outstanding things with the wineries in the Pacific Northwest.

We like a good vintner's dinner as much as the next couple*, but I'm inclined to prefer a meal with wines that are sparkling, still, red, white & rosé - including some dessert wines. If we were traveling with friends and they suggested this, we'd certainly be all in, but left to our own devices, we'd probably pass**.

* - Except for the people decrying "conspicuous consumption." IMO, they're probably not the crowd with which we'd run.

** - Because we're not savages.

I have never had a problem with conspicuous consumption. I had a great friend that lived to 98. She smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day, drank like a sailor (and LOVED great Champagnes).  During "the war" she had a brothel in San Francisco. Her favorite saying when someone would chastise her for her crazy lifestyle was "Life my dear is not a dress rehearsal" Attaching a pic of Ethyl, her daughter and me on the Pacific Princess in the mid 80's. The photo says it all 🙂

with ethyl on PP.jpg

Edited by frankc98376
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, frankc98376 said:

I have never had a problem with conspicuous consumption. I had a great friend that lived to 98. She smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day, drank like a sailor (and LOVED great Champagnes).  During "the war" she had a brothel in San Francisco. Her favorite saying when someone would chastise her for her crazy lifestyle was "Life my dear is not a dress rehearsal" Attaching a pic of Ethyl, her daughter and me on the Pacific Princess in the mid 80's. The photo says it all 🙂

with ethyl on PP.jpg

That's AWESOME, and serious respect for the red tie and cummerbund.