150 CENTRAL PARK WORTH IT? RECENT DINERS ONLY.

tewkewl

Hi, I am considering having our anniversary at 150 central park.  However, it has gotten mixed reviews and the menu looks less fine dining and more modern American.

Anyone dine their recently?  After the change in menu and dissociation with the celebrity chef?

Is it any good?

How does it compare to wondeland?  Jamie's? Chops?

Thanks for your help!

We ate there on Allure at Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it.  They were still using the same menu as they have been for the last couple years.  The menu did not change (on Allure and Oasis) since they ended with relationship with a Michael Schwartz and the waiters still referenced that the menu was created by him.

The only meal (IMHO) that really shines is indeed the tenderloin for two, carved table side.  Delicious.  Attendance has been falling lately for the restaurant, so they now offer the BOGOS,

and are actually 5.00 cheaper than Chops.  We enjoyed our meal there last month.  

I personally don’t think so as they have a very limited menu for 40/person. And there is only one vegetarian entree a piece of cauliflower for $40 and that’s a deal breaker as I cruise with a vegetarian and we aren’t paying $40 for her to have a piece of cauliflower. Would like to try it but they would have to change their menu first. 

We were there in November on a formal night and were attired in tux and sparkles , anticipating a lovely dining experience.  After being seated , we sat for 15 minutes before water being poured or menus being placed before us. The restaurant was not full. Our server did stop by to say that he "would be with us shortly".  We had the tenderloin for two which was nice, as was everything else we ate..."nice" , nothing more. Back in my day , we would have described it as "nothing to write home about".

When the bill jacket arrived , my hubby placed his credit card in the folder and it was whisked away.  On return, the card was not there.  When we alerted one of the staff ( our server was no where in sight ), there was whispering and searching and the credit card was finally located on the floor a short distance from our table.

After a short apology from the server, my husband signed the check, and was more generous than I would have been with the tip, we left the beautifully appointed 150 less then impressed. I am certain that we will not go back.

This was just our story though so you should go , once , because others enjoy the food and have great service. It was just not our experience.

5 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Loved it when it first debuted. But when they changed to a traditional menu, everything about it disappointed.  The menu is BORING, the dishes are uninspired at best.  The only plus about it is the nice setting.

That's pretty much how we felt about it.

We like it but,  with most specialty dining,  only  go with the BOGO or the First Night Done Right. The price creep on specialty dining has reached our price  point   We ate there in December  (FNDR ) on Oasis at 7PM and the place was nearly empty.

We enjoy the Filet for two, the Tuna Tartar and  especially the selection of cheeses.

Happy Anniversary

M

We were there twice on the Harmony this past Christmas. It was our favorite of the specialty restaurants. We had the ultimate dining package, so whether it is "worth it" I can't say. We paid $152pp and ate specialty every dinner and a few lunches, so our price per meal was not the going rate.

FWIW- We are meat eaters so I expected to go to Chops at least two or three times. We had dinner there the first night and nobody liked their steaks (oddly mushy and no crust) so we never went back. The tenderloin at 150 was much better, as was the bread and salts, and desserts. The basil pan cotta was a huge hit if you're willing to step outside the box.

As for comparison, we're not huge pasta eaters so although we went to Jamie's it was just ok. We loved Wonderland, more for the experience than some of the food, which was good but not "special" (but then again, I wouldn't say 150 was "special" either, just a nice dinner).

I think it depends what you're used to at home. We live outside NYC, so restaurants like Wonderland are everywhere. If you live someplace you don't get that too often, I would pick that. 

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Same here regarding the sweet desserts.  We enjoy the selection  of cheeses for dessert.  Much better than you will find elsewhere on the ship. 

M

We thought the cheese at the end was best part of the meal, for the filet they gave us two pieces one small the other was much larger a too rare , wife did not like they assumed the man should get the larger steak. But I would go back we did this last month on oasis. 

DW and I ate there on Harmony last year. Ambience was great, service was top notch, tenderloin for two was delicious and well presented. Apps were great, deserts okay. The overall experience was very nice. All that said, I don’t think we’d pay the premium price for it. We were in a suite and had the coastal kitchen for most meals. My travel agent gave us a free specialty dining coupon so that was the only reason we picked that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, daggct said:

the bread and salts

I read recently that they have discontinued the bread and salts.  That was my favorite part of the meal.  Very disappointing, if true.  I always ask for a piece of red velvet cake from Chops for dessert.  I agree that their desserts are not great.

We ate there Monday on Oasis.  Food was good but not great.  Panna cotta was the highlight of the meal.  Service was not very good.  He asked for our order, didn’t explain much of anything.  Still have the salt options.  We had 3 meal package and decided to give it a try.  I certainly wouldn’t pay full price for it.

Booked on Oasis in Feb and am considering the 3 night dining package. The last time I was at 150 CP was 3 years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed the dinner. Im sad to hear that the experience has kind of gone downhill.

I looked at the menu in the cruise planner and see a few options that look good. Does anyone know if I'm allowed to order more than one dish like in the MDR? or are we relegated to ordering 1 app, 1 entree, 1 dessert?  

I remember 3 years ago at 150 CP I was encouraged by the waiter to order whatever I wanted. Not sure if that's changed.

4 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I read recently that they have discontinued the bread and salts.  That was my favorite part of the meal.  Very disappointing, if true.  I always ask for a piece of red velvet cake from Chops for dessert.  I agree that their desserts are not great.

3 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Did they really discontinue the bread and salts?  150 is our most favorite specialty restaurant, tenderloin being the best on the menu.

Thr bread and salts have only been discontinued on Symphony.

19 minutes ago, Gquie said:

Booked on Oasis in Feb and am considering the 3 night dining package. The last time I was at 150 CP was 3 years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed the dinner. Im sad to hear that the experience has kind of gone downhill.

I looked at the menu in the cruise planner and see a few options that look good. Does anyone know if I'm allowed to order more than one dish like in the MDR? or are we relegated to ordering 1 app, 1 entree, 1 dessert?  

I remember 3 years ago at 150 CP I was encouraged by the waiter to order whatever I wanted. Not sure if that's changed.

You can order multiple appetizers but only one entree

• Thanks 1