Do you leave unused toiletries and such behind?

aflyingbuttress

4 hours ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Just wondering if people leave things like unused travel shampoo and dish soap, etc behind for the cabin steward? I want to do

this but I’m also wondering if it’s actually just more of a pain for them to deal with than anything.

Do they really keep it or will they just be stuck cleaning up after me? 

It all goes directly into the trash if you leave it. They have no need for it nor do they have any  place to keep it.

3 hours ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Thats not exactly what I mean. I am disembarking from a cruise tomorrow. I have leftover toiletries that we brought onboard with us that we did not use. I don’t need them at home and thought about leaving them behind. I doubt they would be left for the next guest since they were not given to me by the cruise ship. 

i have left unopened drinks and snacks for the steward but not toiletries.  If the toiletries were new, unused I am sure they would appreciate them. If opened they probably will toss them.

6 hours ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Oh yes, I know. This is why I’m asking the question. I have read that people do this and are convinced that the cabin steward appreciates it. I wasn’t so convinced and was wondering if it was in fact more of an inconvenience when people do that. 

Would you use partially used toiletries left in a hotel room by the last guest?  No, you wouldn't because not only do you have your preferences, you don't know what really is in that bottle.  I do think folks have convinced themselves that crew are innocent orphans hoping for a handout from the nice people.  Just toss leftovers in the trash.  The crew who sort recyclables will put out the plastics.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Would you use partially used toiletries left in a hotel room by the last guest?  No, you wouldn't because not only do you have your preferences, you don't know what really is in that bottle.  I do think folks have convinced themselves that crew are innocent orphans hoping for a handout from the nice people.  Just toss leftovers in the trash.  The crew who sort recyclables will put out the plastics.  

The OP never said anything about leaving partially used toiletries for the cabin attendent. 

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

It all goes directly into the trash if you leave it. They have no need for it nor do they have any  place to keep it.

I know that all does not go in the trash.  On our last cruise in November, we asked our steward and the neighboring steward if we could buy them anything in Cozumel.  They both replied that passengers had let many things behind on the prior cruises, so they were fully stocked with shampoo and conditioner. 

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I take any unopened toiletries from cruises and hotels and when I have a box full, I add  a few deodorants and take them to one of our local homeless shelters or one for abused women. 

It’s an inexpensive way to contribute less to waste and more to people who can use a hand. 

We do the same. We carry our own “stuff” and rarely use the supplied shampoos etc. We stash all of the room/cabin toiletries and once home we give them to one of two shelters nearby. As to the OP question about their own remnants, I ask the steward if she/he wants any of what we are leaving. Or I’ll say “we are leaving such and such on the counter. Please take it and use it, or pass it along if you would like to. Otherwise, just throw it out.” This lets them know we haven’t inadvertently left something behind and it is ok for them to claim.

Stan

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, #1TravelMom said:

I know that all does not go in the trash.  On our last cruise in November, we asked our steward and the neighboring steward if we could buy them anything in Cozumel.  They both replied that passengers had let many things behind on the prior cruises, so they were fully stocked with shampoo and conditioner. 

They say that because that is what people want to hear. They know guests get mad if told "presents"  are tossed.

unused  means new and unopened.     anything used/opened left behind by the pax is tossed.  I deliberately  bring   items that are travel sized or  almost empty.   lots of one off samples too.   by the end of the cruise I have more room in my suitcase. .  

no cabin steward is going to appreciate or  hoard  a bazillion open bottles of shampoo, conditioner and  shower gel.   one, they do not have the room in their own cabins to store it.  2,  who  would trust anything  like that left behind by a perfect stranger?  3: personal taste and preferences come into play here as well.  

• Like 3

If we are flying after we will throw away the used bottles and put out anything unused on the counter just in case it can be of any use. I didn't use a Lush soap that was still wrapped once so we left that.

We have also left things like clothes/shoes that are new on occasion. Sometimes when you buy things for a holiday and don't like them it's best for someone to have them. I bought some sandals that rubbed so left them unused in a wardrobe and also impulse bought a kaftan in port. It was too big so I left it hanging in the wardrobe with the tag on.

I would not leave shoes/clothing, especially new.  Probably make more work for the steward.  Items would be treated as lost and found, paperwork probably has to be filled out indicating cabin number, and turned in.

11 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

If we are flying after we will throw away the used bottles and put out anything unused on the counter just in case it can be of any use. I didn't use a Lush soap that was still wrapped once so we left that.

We have also left things like clothes/shoes that are new on occasion. Sometimes when you buy things for a holiday and don't like them it's best for someone to have them. I bought some sandals that rubbed so left them unused in a wardrobe and also impulse bought a kaftan in port. It was too big so I left it hanging in the wardrobe with the tag on.

I left a windbreaker in closet, accidentally, after leaving cabin.  Remembered when I got on deck to depart and it was a cool breeze.  I went back to the cabin and steward had already tagged for lost and found, and was able to go retrieve.

13 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

What do you think toiletries are and did you read the comment I was directly responding to?

I do. Do you?  The post you commented on is from the OP and she mentioned nothing in that post or any other of her posts in this thread she started about leaving partially opened or used toiletries. She said "unused toiletries" that she brought from home and wanted to leave behind. Read the entire thread. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Just wondering if people leave things like unused travel shampoo and dish soap, etc behind for the cabin steward? I want to do

this but I’m also wondering if it’s actually just more of a pain for them to deal with than anything.

I leave it but not because the cabin stewart may want it but because I don't want to carry it home.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I do. Do you?  The post you commented on is from the OP and she mentioned nothing in that post or any other of her posts in this thread she started about leaving partially opened toiletries. She said "unused toiletries" that she brought from home and wanted to leave behind. Read the entire thread. 

So, you think the OP takes  shampoo and doesn't use it at all? One really can't leave used toiletries,  can they?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

So, you think the OP takes  shampoo and doesn't use it at all? One really can't leave used toiletries,  can they?

Not my place to second guess what the OP does. But what I do know is what the OP posted. This is exactly what the OP said in her original post. "Just wondering if people leave things like unused travel shampoo and dish soap, etc behind for the cabin steward?"  Pretty clear to me. I would hope any used toiletries are thrown away by the person using them (or by the person in charge of cleaning the room).  No matter if they are supplied by the cruise line, hotel or by the guest. If brought from home throw them away regardless if used or not. Items like that should never be left behind and assuming someone may like to have them. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

I would assume that down in the crew quarters there are stores where the crew can buy what they want instead of using your unopened leftovers.  No matter what the crew member says to you about anything or thinks, you can be sure that they have been told to always be polite to the guests.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

16 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Yeah, I would never leave someone used toiletries. I meant unopened ones that were never used. I don’t think the crew are innocent orphans, but I know they’re onboard the ships for a very long time and perhaps ithey could be useful. No, I don’t know what they like, but it wasn’t meant as a gift, just something that someone could use. They could always trade around or maybe they have a communal area where they toss that stuff and anyone can grab it. I thought it was worth an ask as opposed to throwing perfectly good product in the garbage. 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I do. Do you?  The post you commented on is from the OP and she mentioned nothing in that post or any other of her posts in this thread she started about leaving partially opened or used toiletries. She said "unused toiletries" that she brought from home and wanted to leave behind. Read the entire thread. 

Unused distinctly means 'what is left in an opened bottle'.  It does not mean or infer 'NEW UNOPENED'.  

23 hours ago, aflyingbuttress said:

They prefer cash over trash.

17 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

‘No I wouldn’t. That is why I asked about UNUSED toiletries, not partially used ones. 

59 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Sure, I could leave used toiletries for someone, as in it’s possible. But that is not what I was asking about. I specifically said unused. 

13 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Unused distinctly means 'what is left in an opened bottle'.  It does not mean or infer 'NEW UNOPENED'.  

First no need to shout! Unused can also mean brought with and not used. And in this thread that is exactly what the OP was talking about. Very clear. Ask the OP for yourself. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1