Cautiously asking...(afraid of being blasted)

CaribbeanJen

We've been on many cruises.  Three have been with NCL-- the Sun, the Pearl and the Spirit. 

We have enjoyed every one of our NCL cruises.  We are platinum on Princess but were considering an NCL cruise for this coming January.  It must be Caribbean because we are from Buffalo.  We need January sun!

So, I'm looking at our choices and I see the Encore...OMG-- the top deck is taken over by a race track?  Between that and the water park and other activities I'm kinda freaking out.  I don't want to vacation on a floating amusement park!  I'm wondering about noise and space...and finding peaceful places to read and sleep on deck.  I LOVED the Pearl and ships in that class but they are not sailing Caribbean at times when it works for my schedule. (I'm a college professor) 

So, my question is about the Escape and the Breakaway.  Are these both the same high energy, activity orientated types of cruises?  Are they at all like cruises were a few years ago?  I realize I simply might not be NCL's target market since I'm now 50.  

I've been on Norwegian Dawn, Getaway and most recently the Escape last year when I was 48. I also work at a university so I go during spring break. None have a race track like the three newest ships. The Dawn is most similar to the ships you have been on before, but I had a great time on all three cruises. On the Escape I did not do the pool deck or slides, but I thoroughly enjoyed the spa and also spent some time in Spice H20 (adults only during the day) as well as the Waterfront on deck 8. It was actually the most relaxing of the three cruises I have been on even though it was the biggest ship. The cruise is what you make of it. If you want to stay away from crowds it is easy enough to do. You might look to get Vibe passes (might have a different name depending on the ship) to have an adults only more private/secluded location with guaranteed sundeck access.

Edited by Mistizoom
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CaribbeanJen said:

Is there anyplace to lie in the sun?  

On Escape, and I'm sure Encore will be similar, there's a large area on deck 19 outside of vibe and it's quiet, has a bar and whirlpools, and gets plenty of sun. It's a great spot 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

On Escape, and I'm sure Encore will be similar, there's a large area on deck 19 outside of vibe and it's quiet, has a bar and whirlpools, and gets plenty of sun. It's a great spot 

Yes, that’s a great spot.

1 hour ago, CaribbeanJen said:

Is there anyplace to lie in the sun?  

While the top deck is catering to the younger folks, the highest decks (away from the pool) have lots of sun loungers. But the best space is sitting and relaxing on the Waterfront. We love the big ships. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkrickles1 said:

Escape has more public sun deck on deck 19 forward, which is secluded Haven sun deck on Bliss and Encore (not sure about sister ship Joy).

The go karts are electrified and soundless by the way.

We sailed the Getaway in October of last year and the Escape twice. Last year on the Getaway, we bought passes for Vibe, which is the adults-only "beach club" area. It's limited to a certain number of people -- maybe 60 or so? We loved it. We don't have kids (yet), so it was nice to be able to seclude ourselves a little bit from the rest of the ship. The lounge chairs are padded and most were in the sun, there were two hot tubs, and the bartenders were wonderful and got to know us, and we got to know them, over the course of the week. Well worth the $129 per person if you want a little peace and quiet. Some people made Vibe friends; we just stuck to ourselves and chatted occasionally with others. It worked out nicely!

I think Vibe is available on the all the newer the Breakaway and Escape, too, I believe, so check that out if it's of interest.

3 hours ago, CaribbeanJen said:

We've been on many cruises.  Three have been with NCL-- the Sun, the Pearl and the Spirit. 

We have enjoyed every one of our NCL cruises.  We are platinum on Princess but were considering an NCL cruise for this coming January.  It must be Caribbean because we are from Buffalo.  We need January sun!

So, I'm looking at our choices and I see the Encore...OMG-- the top deck is taken over by a race track?  Between that and the water park and other activities I'm kinda freaking out.  I don't want to vacation on a floating amusement park!  I'm wondering about noise and space...and finding peaceful places to read and sleep on deck.  I LOVED the Pearl and ships in that class but they are not sailing Caribbean at times when it works for my schedule. (I'm a college professor) 

So, my question is about the Escape and the Breakaway.  Are these both the same high energy, activity orientated types of cruises?  Are they at all like cruises were a few years ago?  I realize I simply might not be NCL's target market since I'm now 50.  

Yes. High energy, but with some great features. I personally did not like the BA at all, but there is something about the Escape that draws me there.

Why not go for the Gem ?

Edited by Arzeena

34 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Yes. High energy, but with some great features. I personally did not like the BA at all, but there is something about the Escape that draws me there.

Why not go for the Gem ?

There are no January itineraries for the Caribbean.  Thanks for your response.  

19 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

Who will blast you?

I'm not new to these boards (this is a new account because I forgot my login).  I've seen people ripped to shreds for sharing an opinion.  This thread has been a wonderful surprise.  I've appreciated the replies and honest answers.  It's been really helpful.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CaribbeanJen said:

I'm not new to these boards (this is a new account because I forgot my login).  I've seen people ripped to shreds for sharing an opinion.  This thread has been a wonderful surprise.  I've appreciated the replies and honest answers.  It's been really helpful.  

I totally understand and have seen that happen all too often. I had to rejoin for the same reason, btw. 🙂

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CaribbeanJen said:

8 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

I totally understand and have seen that happen all too often. I had to rejoin for the same reason, btw. 🙂

I feel your pain. I have a stalker on here. 🤣

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

I feel your pain. I have a stalker on here. 🤣

Most people here are kind and informative. But there are a few...well, if you have fewer than, say, 1000 posts and you disagree with them, take cover, cuz yer outta line, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

Most people here are kind and informative. But there are a few...well, if you have fewer than, say, 1000 posts and you disagree with them, take cover, cuz yer outta line, lol.

I flag them. They get deleted, eventually. 

• Like 1

You should consider the Bliss, if that is an option.  The Bliss has the observation lounge, which neither the Breakaway, nor the Escape have.  Either side of the observation lounge was better than the forward section when we sailed her.  It also has the waterfront, and it has plenty of sun areas.  But, I must say that the Dawn/Jewel class ships are our preference.

Edited by Oldgoat61
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, CaribbeanJen said:

I am over than you by many years and I don't feel that way. Yes, the newer mega ships are designed with lots of activities for the younger crowd. We have sailed the Breakaway as well as the Epic: it is not our thing, but that doesn't mean NCL ships are designed to attract the younger, family types or party crowd only. Our daughter and her husband did the Bliss this summer, they are over 50 and loved it.  I do think for many ships like the Dawn are a little more subdued. 

• Like 1