Cruise document question

Mistylou0713

I’ve seen this on the forum in several places but we are cruising in April next year on RC going to Bahamas. My oldest daughter is 14 and her biological father is on her birth certificate. I’ve seen that many people say I need her biological fathers signed and noterized permission for her to travel but when I was speaking with RC they said all we need is her passport as long as my name is on the birth certified. Why do they give conflicting information? I plan on trying to figure out a way to contact him or get a court order granting tr wel permission but I was just curious why RC does not inform parents traveling with a minor and the other parent is not present. 

I'm fairly certain that in the lengthy small print verbiage of the cruise contract and terms and conditions with sailing there would be mention of requirements of non-married parents traveling solo with a child.  But when you talk with a rep with RCI (and likely most cruise lines) you are talking with an off shore call center were, while knowledgeable of most of the general terms of travel, the reps probably aren't well versed in the specifics of situations such as you mention. Hence  the conflicting information.

IMO, if possible, I would secure the notarized permission from the biological father, or at least something from the court confining custody with you, to avoid any issue at check in.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I'm fairly certain that in the lengthy small print verbiage of the cruise contract and terms and conditions with sailing there would be mention of requirements of non-married parents traveling solo with a child.  But when you talk with a rep with RCI (and likely most cruise lines) you are talking with an off shore call center were, while knowledgeable of most of the general terms of travel the reps probably aren't well versed in the specifics of situations such as you mention. Hence  the conflicting information.

IMO, if possible, I would secure the notarized permission from the biological father, or at least something from the court confining custody with you, to avoid any issue at check in.

Yea I planned on reaching out and getting the letter and if I can’t I planned on getting a statement from court but I was just curious why it’s not mentioned since it’s required in most instances. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mistylou0713 said:

I’ve seen this on the forum in several places but we are cruising in April next year on RC going to Bahamas. My oldest daughter is 14 and her biological father is on her birth certificate. I’ve seen that many people say I need her biological fathers signed and noterized permission for her to travel but when I was speaking with RC they said all we need is her passport as long as my name is on the birth certified. Why do they give conflicting information? I plan on trying to figure out a way to contact him or get a court order granting tr wel permission but I was just curious why RC does not inform parents traveling with a minor and the other parent is not present. 

It's my understanding (from what I've read on the US state department site) that, as long as there's a passport for the child, no further documentation is necessary.  Since both parents have to sign for a child to get a passport, in essence, he's "given his permission" for her to be taken out of the country.

Of course, that being said, cruise lines can have more strict requirements regarding ID parameters than the law states.

Edited by Shmoo here

A notarized letter of permission by the noncustodial parent isn't always required. For example on closed loop cruises out of US ports where both parent and child are born in the US, it may not be required by every cruise line. It's more likely to be required for other types of  cruises,but again may depend on the custodial terms set forth by the court. You can't expect the cruise line to spell out every possible scenario. It's up to the parent to find out ( the State Department is a good place to start) what requirements apply in their particular situation.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

Cruise lines recommend it simply because the US Dept of State recommend it.  If there was only one situation in the world that required such a letter and a cruise line didn't recommend it, people would blame the cruise line.  Since that thing most likely would involve a tragedy and a child, the media would be all over it no matter the failure was at heart always the parents.  

From the U,S, Customs and Border Protection website (https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/kw/minors travelling alone/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTUwMjAzMjE5L3NpZC9FSFVsV3A3bw%3D%3D)

Children - Child traveling with one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian or a group

If a child (under the age of 18) is traveling with only one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian, what paperwork should the adult have to indicate permission or legal authority to have that child in their care?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups*, a note signed by both parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission." See our Q&A parental consent.

The following appears in the parental consent link:

Parental consent/permission letter

What should a parental consent/permission letter look like?  Is there a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) form?

There is not a CBP Form letter but this is a letter you create.  The  "Parental Consent Letter" should include the following elements:

• Who
  • What
  • Where
  • When
  • Why
  • Contact information for the absent parent(s).

Having the letter notarized is not necessary but highly recommended. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mistylou0713 said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "they" giving conflicting info.  The conflict seems to be what you read here on CC and what RCI told you when you contacted them.  Or maybe I'm not reading this correctly.  

If you don't trust what RCI says then best get the letter or court order (even better).    

7 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

It's my understanding (from what I've read on the US state department site) that, as long as there's a passport for the child, no further documentation is necessary.  Since both parents have to sign for a child to get a passport, in essence, he's "given his permission" for her to be taken out of the country.

Of course, that being said, cruise lines can have more strict requirements regarding ID parameters than the law states.

This, you don't need the birth certificate. CBP will sometimes question a child about who they are traveling with, but that won't happen until the end of the cruise. 

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

This, you don't need the birth certificate. CBP will sometimes question a child about who they are traveling with, but that won't happen until the end of the cruise. 

This is the more likely scenario - the cruise line really doesn't care about absentee parental admission. nor medical proxy for a minor.  As long as the ID offered to the cruise line meets the minimum standard for a minor boarding is allowed.

US Customs will likely question any adult traveling with a minor who has a different last name than the adult.  It's best to have as much ID as possible (passport)  as well as absent parental approval in this case.

47 minutes ago, evandbob said:

This is the more likely scenario - the cruise line really doesn't care about absentee parental admission. nor medical proxy for a minor.  As long as the ID offered to the cruise line meets the minimum standard for a minor boarding is allowed.

US Customs will likely question any adult traveling with a minor who has a different last name than the adult.  It's best to have as much ID as possible (passport)  as well as absent parental approval in this case.

That may be correct.  But typically the cruise lines will mirror the policies set by Immigration to have a consistent process.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Bottom line, better to have the letter and not need it, than the not have it and need it.

The cruise line could want it to board you.  CBP could make issues for you.

If you can get the letter, have it, and don't worry.

We have traveled on a cruise several times with our granddaughters.  Every time I made sure we have a signed and notarized letter from the parents giving us permission to take them out of the country and make medical decisions for them.

We have been asked for the letter three different times.  Once by Disney ( and their mother was with us, but not their father), once by a Royal and once by Customs.  

So they have been known to ask for it!!  I would err on the side of caution and have the letter.  

Edited by GTO-Girl

2 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

We have traveled on a cruise several times with our granddaughters.  Every time I made sure we have a signed and notarized letter from the parents giving us permission to take them out of the country and make medical decisions for them.

We have been asked for the letter three different times.  Once by Disney ( and their mother was with us, but not their father), once by a Royal and once by Customs.  

So they have been known to ask for it!!  I would err on the side of caution and have the letter.  

Excellent first-hand info.   Good to have someone who been there and done that!👍   

9 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

I never thought about till this minute, but my DD and I took her DDs on the Disney Wonder back when they were about 6 and 8. I never even thought about a letter from her husband, and no one ever asked for one, either before or after the cruise. Dumb luck on our part!