Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus cutbacks continue!

8 hours ago, clean1owner said:

Are you holed up in your cabin 24/7?

It seems like I can't go anywhere without someone talking about their status, or practically pushing their gold sea pass card in your face to make sure you see it.

Honestly, I have never seen this either. 

• Like 1

It will be very disappointing to us if they no longer allow D to go to the diamond lounge. It will also mean that during the day when there is hardly any one there we can’t go and make a specialty coffee or go there in the morning for small breakfast and good coffee. I don’t know why with the new ships they don’t make the lounge bigger. We drink a wine so we are not big drinkers to take advantage of the alcohol but it’s fun and fells being special as a loyal customer to be in the lounge. We live in California so it is very hard for us to reach D+ We are sailing symphony Jan. 20 so I hope things won’t change until than. 🙏🙏

6 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

We also have never gone in the D lounge - I’m going to venture in next two trips!

Why?  Isn't the DL crowded enough sometimes.  Don't lower yourself and stay where you belong in either the SL or CL.:classic_biggrin:

10 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

You weren't there, so how do you know what the people I am talking about were doing?  I was the one waiting and could hear the discussion.

Don't worry ost of the Pinacles that you will find spending months on a ship because it' cheaper than livng at home, are real Pains that just try to get even more perk for free. Staff in general on RCCL does not find a lot of nice words about Pinacles I can tell you that. To be fair there are exceptions and the staff also mentions it, however it's for sure not the mass who you find cruising for months in a inside cabin and the ones braging with their ridicioulous pins

When I read these threads it really makes me happy that I’ve never set foot in any of these lounges.  

That’s going to change for us.  I cannot imagine, however, parking in a lounge to be given complimentary drinks containing liquor that I hate.  Is there a rule that you can’t actually purchase liquor of your choice and enter your exclusive lounges?   If the liquor, wine and beer is so horrible, why are so many of you crowding into a small space to drink it?

Truly mind boggling.  

30 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No, and the one about taking drinks out is rarely enforced.

I can’t see the reasoning to ever enter a crowded space, stand in line to be handed a drink with liquor you hate and then take that drink somewhere else.  Or drink it anywhere.  

Geez once you reach Pinnacle you’ve spent a fortune on cruising.  700 nights at even the low end of 200 per night for a balcony...surely that free drink with liquor you don’t like isn’t worth it.

They have beer.  They have some decent bourbon.  They have a decent Irish Whiskey.  The Gin tastes fine in my G&T.  They can make a nice Cosmopolitan or lemon drop with the New Amsterdam Vodka.  These are just the things I have sampled or the DW has sampled.  The wines are meh, I love wine, and with food I can drink just about any of them.  I would not buy the wine they serve in the lounges at home, but with food they are doable.  My wife doesn’t like Pinot Grigio any more, and there was a time when they had Kim Crawford Savingnon Blanc in the lounges occassionally.  That is a real cut back.  About the second I actually know of.  First was New Amsterdam Vodka, which in its defense gets decent reviews online.  I have a 700 bottle wine cellar at home, and it is filled with wines that cost me $50 to $200, yet I only drink wines like that with friends as I feel guilty doing them by myself.  Good wine should be a bonding experience.  Last night I had a Hess Select Cab Sav that I bought at Sam’s club for $13.  It tasted good with dinner last night.

That said, avoid the lounges it is better that way for all of us!😈

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, HBE4 said:
18 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I whole heartedly reccomend everyone read Andy's Live review from September.  35 Pinnacles, 10% of the suite capacity, ruined his trip. 

Pay attention to his fascination with window seats. 😉

Thanks for the plug, Mr. Pinnacle!

Just finished reading all 40 pages of the review.  Thank you John for bringing it up to our attention.

Thank you Andy for writing a well-balanced review.   It was informative without being too wordy, it had drama and excitement with the potential conflict with P's on your cruise, it was heartwarming how your kids were treated, it provoked spirited debate.  All the hallmarks of great storytelling.  Is there an award I can nominate it for?

Most importantly, you gave praise where needed while not turning a blind eye to the deficiencies and in fact, taking steps to correct them, leaving the ship and crew better prepared the next time around.

Well done.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

They have beer.  They have some decent bourbon.  They have a decent Irish Whiskey.  The Gin tastes fine in my G&T.  They can make a nice Cosmopolitan or lemon drop with the New Amsterdam Vodka.  These are just the things I have sampled or the DW has sampled.  The wines are meh, I love wine, and with food I can drink just about any of them.  I would not buy the wine they serve in the lounges at home, but with food they are doable.  My wife doesn’t like Pinot Grigio any more, and there was a time when they had Kim Crawford Savingnon Blanc in the lounges occassionally.  That is a real cut back.  About the second I actually know of.  First was New Amsterdam Vodka, which in its defense gets decent reviews online.  I have a 700 bottle wine cellar at home, and it is filled with wines that cost me $50 to $200, yet I only drink wines like that with friends as I feel guilty doing them by myself.  Good wine should be a bonding experience.  Last night I had a Hess Select Cab Sav that I bought at Sam’s club for $13.  It tasted good with dinner last night.

jc

Trust me.  My family, when we cruise, would never ever intrude on your lounge safe space.  Even if we are “permitted” 

I think the C & A program should be changed.  Your complimentary drinks would include the same alcohol you used to purchase.  Bet Royal would come out WAY ahead. 

10 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

jc

What good are 700 bottles of wine if you just keep them in the cellar and don't drink them?

Seems to me like the money invested in grape squeezins would be better used for more cruising! 

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Just finished reading all 40 pages of the review.  Thank you John for bringing it up to our attention.

Thank you Andy for writing a well-balanced review.   It was informative without being too wordy, it had drama and excitement with the potential conflict with P's on your cruise, it was heartwarming how your kids were treated, it provoked spirited debate.  All the hallmarks of great storytelling.  Is there an award I can nominate it for?

Most importantly, you gave praise were needed while not turning a blind eye to the deficiencies and in fact, taking steps to correct them, leaving the ship and crew better prepared the next time around.

Well done.

I think the best part of Andy’s review was how he pointed out shortcomings while onboard.  If you ever see the posts from those complaining about something that happened on a cruise, the usual immediate response is....why didn’t you address this while onboard?   Andy did just that.  Kudos. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Just finished reading all 40 pages 

25 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

They have beer.  They have some decent bourbon.

Last I checked there was no bourbon.  Not even some miserable Jim Beam to mix with.   They have some Jack but in the bourbon department,  sadly it’s a no go.   Not that i expect a 15 year Pappy,  but something...  even a Makers or Wild Turkey would be nice,  but I realize the cost of even that would be a little much for the DL.

I am greatful for the addition of some Captain.  That was a welcome change.  It’s not all doom and gloom!

Edited by rimmit

39 minutes ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

I can’t see the reasoning to ever enter a crowded space, stand in line to be handed a drink with liquor you hate and then take that drink somewhere else.  

Folks do lots of stuff in the name of "free".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, and if I might add...................

Free. Free Free Free............

Free Free Free Free.......................Free Free

Free Free

(Just like that new commercial on TV)

Later

Oh did I Say FREE

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, clean1owner said:

What good are 700 bottles of wine if you just keep them in the cellar and don't drink them?

Seems to me like the money invested in grape squeezins would be better used for more cruising! 

I suspect those bottles neither limit his cruising nor anything else that he chooses to do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yep.  Only mind boggles me when Jimmy Johns has their free sandwich day and the line is an hour long.  People will stand in line for an hour for a 4 dollar sandwich....   Not sure about the other posters on this forum,  but my time is worth more than 4 dollars an hour.

It’s also not just the fact it’s free.  It’s also the fact that it was “earned” through loyalty and the fact about 50-90% of the boat based on sailing can’t get that for free.   (Yes there are some cruises with less than 10% Diamond and above.  Our Feb. 4 Enchantment did not break 10% of the ship.). The “exclusivity” of the drink is part of the appeal.  Whether it’s the best alcohol or not does not matter as the “exclusivity” improves the taste.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, clean1owner said:

Who says I don’t drink them?  My big problem with more cruising is that I still work, or at least am responsible to show up for work.🏄‍♂️  When I retire sometime in the next decade, my wife will want to do more land vacations than cruises.  I see us settling down for months at a time some place to try it out.  Hopefully we can remain healthy and active for a long time after that, but time will tell.  

JC

34 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I suspect those bottles neither limit his cruising nor anything else that he chooses to do.

Now OB.  We are not rich.  We are both working stiffs who have post graduate degrees and good jobs, and since we decided when my wife worked in the NICU at Duke while I was in grad school at UNC that the chances of having one of those terrifying events was too scary to contemplate we became DINKS.  Time and experience has led us to a good place, but the MINI in my avatar is now 16 years old the 17th of this month.  We are somewhat frugal or at least fiscally responsible.  We don’t sail star class, and mostly we don’t stay in suites in hotels.  Although, we make an exception for our upcoming trip to Australia, staying in a Pointe Suite on Heron Island pre cruise, with accompanying helicopter arrival and departure.  So, an occassional splurge.

jc

47 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

You are at the best part.  Things tail off after page 25 or so.  

I am on page 10, and very entertained... you mean it gets better? 

Edited by Mikew0805
wrong page number
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 3:36 AM, twangster said:

Excessive alcohol consumption well beyond 3 drinks.  The volume of booze consumed in the DL is going to lead to changes being made.  Even cheap booze costs money.  

The drink coupons were an attempt to deal with overcrowding but they are not accomplishing that goal.  While crowding issues are not abuse the shear volume of guests trying to use the limited DL space during happy hour is an issue that will require something to be done.  

For some reason the DL is mostly empty all day long yet as happy hour approaches it fills up and overflows into public use spaces impacting all guests.  

Increasing numbers in the top elite tiers are compounding the issue.  High Pinnacle numbers are (at times) impacting suite guests.  

Put it all together and change is inevitable.  

Converting DL into a Pinnacle Lounge solves a lot of issues.  Suite guests are better served, Pinnacles have a space so any objections are diluted and with D/D+ left with only drink coupons the bill for happy hours is cut dramatically.  

D/D+ tiers can expand in size with no issues and Pinnacle counts can continue to grow with no impact to the Suite experience.  

Public venues such as the Music Hall or Viking Crown Lounge are no longer lost as overflow during happy hour.  

At present suite counts are mostly fixed yet over the next 5-10 years growing Pinnacle numbers will force the issue in the SL.  If left unchecked the day is coming that suite guests won’t stand a chance in the SL.  At some point Pinnacles will need to be booted from the SL and the easiest way to do that is to give them their own dedicated space.  Where do you get space from?   Give up a revenue generating space or convert DL into PL.  

Change is coming.  

Empty staterooms on slower time of years also cost money. It seams to me there are more diamond's and above as percentage of passengers on these low season cruises.  I don't think it so much as the cost of the drinks as the loss of revenue of people not buying drinks. They are making it more difficult so more people will buy the drink package.  I think they should add an additional discount to the pre- cruise discount based on level. Perhaps  5% additional pre-cruise discount to the already discounted prices for Diamond, 10% for Diamond plus , and 15% for  Pinnacle. I like having diamond lounges as oasis to relax away from the crowds during the day sometimes.  These quiet places on ships are getting more rare as most places in public areas are now all about generating on board revenue. 

I would also add that people who drink in moderation live longer than those who don't in the United States and Europe. 

Edited by rollnoles2

1 hour ago, rollnoles2 said:

I would also add that people who drink in moderation live longer than those who don't in the United States and Europe. 

And I would add that how much people do, or don't, drink during a week of vacation time probably has close to zero impact on longevity.

• Like 1