Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus cutbacks continue!

55 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

From our third cruise on (since on our first or second we really weren't sure what we 'needed' to enjoy it to the max) we realized we really liked cruising.  We want a lounge chair poolside, a balcony, good food (we are not elite foodies), to be entertained and it seemed we could find these things on a cruise.  We have enjoyed every cruise we have taken.  As you say "A little added discount and a few perks are nice" as we continue to cruise along with Royal.

We are the same way. We cruise for the love of cruising and any perks thrown my way, it's fine.  I wish I could have a choice of perks as most of them I won't use.

But then again, I'm not brand loyal. I'm always shopping around for the best deal or best entertainment option. I know plenty of people that will only stay at a Marriott-owned property  or fly AA or shop at Macy's because they are chasing loyalty points.  They may pay more up front or have less options to choose from, but they have their eye on the prize at the end. I now envy some of those that have attained higher status and can enjoy the rewards. (free flights, cheaper hotel rooms, etc).

It's when you've been chasing that piece of cheese for years and just as you get to the finish line, someone moves the cheese that people will grumble. I can't begrudge anyone that spends significant $$$ only to see the finish line moved further away.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, clean1owner said:

So you all are proud of the fact that you used "Royals Rules" to more easily obtain Diamond. 

But now you are complaining that so many others did the exact same thing, thus causing an overcrowding situation, which RCCL is trying to remedy. And since you are losing benefits so others with a higher status than you can maintain their benefits, it's totally unfair.

I'm neither proud, nor do I feel guilty.  I consider it like using my credit card rewards program.  The credit card sets the terms and conditions, I use their product.  If I get a benefit from using it, that they told me I'd get, I am "pleased".  Not proud.  Not guilty.  You do realize this is ALL marketing with the goal being to get consumers to part with money and spend it at company A instead of company B. 

I am not complaining that anyone else did the same thing.  Where did you get that idea? 

I have no proof RCI is trying to remedy overcrowding.  I view all corporate decisions as revenue and profit driven, not to enhance customer experience.  

I do think losing benefits is unfair.  I have a fully functioning brain and can also read and write, amazing, so I understand programs can change.  Does not mean I would not be disappointed or think it is unfair if the program changes to a way which disadvantages me.  Understanding something doesn't mean having to be a doormat for it either.  

I actually see *ALL* C&A status levels, except for Pinnacle, losing benefits and I'll challenge you to find any posting or thread I participated in where I blamed this loss at the success of the C&A program or other paying guests.  Let me help save you time; you won't find a single one.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

We all wonder why you're here.

You were more fun back when you were trying to join the Balcony Club and giggling about hump cabins.  

I can see Andy's point. If you book a suite thinking that you have exclusive access to a lounge, only to find out once on board, it's exclusive to Suite and Pinnacle members (as your photo of the Welcome letter showed) and then latter to have the lounge crowded with NSPP, I get that. 

But - this is where I differ - it's a "mistake" (using the word loosely) you only make once or twice. After that, you should know better.

From what I've learned since he raised the issue, it can be an "issue" but it seems to be the exception, not the rule.  It seems most people here have not had the same issue. I now know to be a little more diligent in my research should I ever decide to book a suite on one of the bigger ships.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

That's fairly typical of loyalty members these days. "I want exclusive treatment, but only I deserve it".

I don't think it is a typical mentality.  I think Royal needs to find ways to administer the program they created.  Not cut back on the people that drove their revenue for years to get to where they are.  And no, I definitely do not believe that I alone am entitled to perks or benefits, what a load of garbage that is on these boards.  Can smell it from here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

I can see Andy's point. If you book a suite thinking that you have exclusive access to a lounge, only to find out once on board, it's exclusive to Suite and Pinnacle members (as your photo of the Welcome letter showed) and then latter to have the lounge crowded with NSPP, I get that. 

But - this is where I differ - it's a "mistake" (using the word loosely) you only make once or twice. After that, you should know better.

From what I've learned since he raised the issue, it can be an "issue" but it seems to be the exception, not the rule.  It seems most people here have not had the same issue. I now know to be a little more diligent in my research should I ever decide to book a suite on one of the bigger ships.

Why can't RCI resolve any crowding issues by also offering Suite guests a raft of benefits to use outside of the Suite Lounge?  Does that make too much sense?  Wouldn't it move people around the ship more and take someone who may be in a suite, but never sailed RCI before, and provide them the opportunity to experience more entertainment, bars, etc. around the ship?  

I agree with you on the suite lounge/pinnacle issue.  The amount of suites on a ship is finite, the amount of space in an SL is finite.  The possibility for Pinnacles onboard ranges anywhere from 0 to remaining double berth capacity.  So I fault Royal for advertising an amenity/feature to suite guests that they don't really know the capacity to fulfill until right up to sailing; and once they do know they are content to let it be the guests problem for the cruise.  It's not really fair.  And I'll never be Pinnacle, and don't sail in Suites.  

Hey, look at that, looking for ways to INCREASE suite guest benefits rather than reduce C&A benefits.  What a radical idea! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

How do you plan on figuring out how many of the Pins are in suites?🤔

Like this?

20180926_172803.jpg

yep..good pic of Mohammed in SL too.....he has all the stats.......if not you can tell by how they look and talk..with their pin on .....@Andy C taught me his trick too

Edited by sisocialworker
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

And I'll never be Pinnacle, and don't sail in Suites.  

Honestly, I've never sailed in a suite either. But I've considered it and if the price is right, may pull the trigger. But I'm the kind that view my stateroom as a place to store clothes and take a shower. Almost never in it.

So, should I ever spring for a suite, I'd probably be too busy hanging out there with the family/friends to ever visit the SL except once or twice.  BUT, when I do visit the SL, I'd hope to get in.

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

We all wonder why you're here.

You were more fun back when you were trying to join the Balcony Club and giggling about hump cabins.  

I'm a scorpio.  I hold grudges for life.  Therefore, I want to continue to sway travel plans and point out the fact that the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen are not exclusive to suites like Royal would have you believe in their false marketing materials.  I want people to know that pinnacles not paying for a suite swarm the SL and CK on certain cruises and ruin it for people who paid for a cruise not knowing these NSPPs would be there hogging all the seats.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

We will reach diamond after our next cruise (first time in a full suite).  That means I’m gonna be VERY IMPORTANT.  If I ever become snobby like I’m seeing here, someone please kick me in the butt. 

I am at the ready..

image.png.9f9ec424e2556581bac65c7585832231.png

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

We all pay to get on the ship just like you do. What RCI chooses to provide for each of us individually is between Royal and the customer. Royal chose to provide suite customers with access to a suite lounge and has also chosen to provide access to that very same lounge to the Pinnacles. I think the choice is to either accept it or move on. Just as I must accept that at times the DL is overcrowded and there might not be room for me. No offense, but you seem to have an issue with the options.

No offense taken.  They lie in their suite marketing materials.  Hapless suite guests who pay a premium end up getting screwed on certain cruises.  It happened to me in my September cruise.  They refunded half the cruise fare as a result. Some of the posters on here brazenly suggest that because it only happens on a few cruises its no biggie.  So if you happen to be one of those families in one of those cruises just get over it and don't be a cry baby you'll have all year to earn that money back and try again.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

We did not have this issue in our December cruise BUT read my post #836 on this thread to understand part of my anger at the suggestion that since this only happens occasionally then it is ok.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy C said:

No offense taken.  They lie in their suite marketing materials.  Hapless suite guests who pay a premium end up getting screwed on certain cruises.  It happened to me in my September cruise.  They refunded half the cruise fare as a result. Some of the posters on here brazenly suggest that because it only happens on a few cruises its no biggie.  So if you happen to be one of those families in one of those cruises just get over it and don't be a cry baby you'll have all year to earn that money back and try again.  

I'm on your side.  You paid for a premium experience that you did not receive because Royal was not upfront and honest with you.  At this, I am not surprised.   I think it's easy for others that cruise multiple times per year or consecutively may forget just how limited time can be for others and so are quick to write off a bad experience as just try it again or it didn't happen on MOST of their cruises so it's no big deal. 

Cruise Critic is a minority of cruisers, and the ones that do 4, 6, 8, 10+ cruises a year probably cruise more in a year than most people have every or will ever cruise in their life.  You would think they'd stop pretending to be company management at look out for their best interests at some point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Andy C said:

I'm a scorpio.  I hold grudges for life.  Therefore, I want to continue to sway travel plans and point out the fact that the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen are not exclusive to suites like Royal would have you believe in their false marketing materials.  I want people to know that pinnacles not paying for a suite swarm the SL and CK on certain cruises and ruin it for people who paid for a cruise not knowing these NSPPs would be there hogging all the seats.  

They do throw the word exclusive around in their marketing materials.  No where do I see that it is Suites and Pinnacles.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalsuiteclass

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

I disagree with posting a photo of anyone unless it’s your own photo.    There are people on every cruise one can find peculiar, offensive, interesting.  Posting a photo to get others to negatively comment, I don’t know...where I come from it’s just poor taste. 

We will reach diamond after our next cruise (first time in a full suite).  That means I’m gonna be VERY IMPORTANT.  If I ever become snobby like I’m seeing here, someone please kick me in the butt. 

I am also told that I am very arrogant.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andy C said:

I am also told that I am very arrogant.  

Andy

Your input on the suite lounge experience is very valuable to me.  Same with John &Lala and their perspective of things.  This is a message board. I take that with a grain of salt.  I’ve learned things from both of you and others.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Its now time for you "big spenders" to move on over, to Silversea!

Agreed.  But the kids are still too little so I have a few more years of getting dirty looks from Pinnacles in the Suite Lounge.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Agreed.  But the kids are still too little so I have a few more years of getting dirty looks from Pinnacles in the Suite Lounge.

Don't feel bad.  My hair still has natural color so I get the same dirty looks in the Diamond Lounge.  You can literally see people's veins burst if they walk in and Junior is in a chair having a soda. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

They do throw the word exclusive around in their marketing materials.  No where do I see that it is Suites and Pinnacles.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalsuiteclass

They are also very generous with the use of exclusive in the description of the C&A benefits. So generous that everyone is exclusive in some way or another.

9 minutes ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

New class of chair hogs?

Do they assign one person to save all the seats or do they use towels from the pool?

yes indeed....they use pocket books and are very abrupt about saying...oh all these chairs are taken, we are waiting for our friends......don't even think about saying anything back to them, they will show you their PIN......report it to the concierge and get a portion of your cruise fair credited back to you 

Edited by sisocialworker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sisocialworker said:

yes indeed....they use pocket books and are very abrupt about saying...oh all these chairs are taken, we are waiting for our friends......don't even think about saying anything back to them, they will show you their PIN......report it to the concierge and get a portion of your cruise fair credited back to you 

Truth.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

I will concede that I do understand your point. I have not really looked at suite marketing material as I have no interest in booking a suite. I would probably feel like I need to spend time in it since I am paying for it and I prefer to be out and around the ship.

• Thanks 1