Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus cutbacks continue!

21 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Just because Andy and his family only cruise once a year that surely doesn't mean that are not "well traveled".

You are not really saying that those who take cruises over and over to the same locations and an occasional TA or TP are the only people that are "well traveled" - right?

I agree.  I know many people who only take 1-2 big trips a year.  Those trips however are quite exotic, and thus These people are notably more well traveled than many Pinnacles who run the Caribbean circuit year round. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

The entire thread or just Andy's review?

Both, but definitely the second half. I tried to remain objective since I wasn't there. I was there the following two weeks. My Tale of Two Cruises was a lot of fun.

Edited by John&LaLa

16 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, i hate to judge a book by its cover, but reading his posts, is an absolute guarantee that I will never read one of his trip reports.  

I know I am so small minded.  

JC

Very entertaining 

18 minutes ago, rimmit said:

I agree.  I know many people who only take 1-2 big trips a year.  Those trips however are quite exotic, and thus These people are notably more well traveled than many Pinnacles who run the Caribbean circuit year round. 

We travelled quite a bit last year

Shanghai Airport 😱

Singapore 

Thailand

India

Oman

Dubai

Jordan

Suez Canal

Isreal

Crete

Spain

Denmark

Sweden

Estonia

St Petersburg 

Finland

And yes, the Caribbean 

Met lots of Pins on those trips 😉

MyEmoji_181018_190541_3.gif

4 hours ago, TravelerThom said:

Yes.  The first one I knew was Bea Muller who lived on the QE2 for many years; she was the second person I met on my first TransAtlantic crossing and I spent a number of delightful hours talking with her.  As she pointed out a cruise ship is Assisted Living at a significantly lower cost than obtainable in a metropolitan area. I have since encountered a hand full of others who had also sold homes and were living full time on ships except for an ocassional “vacation” during drydocks or to visit friends.

You might reconsider who it is that is making silly statements.  

A cruise ship is not even close to assisted living. It's an apartment with a meal plan. Hardly the same.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Shanghai Airport 😱

Singapore 

Thailand

India

Oman

Dubai

Jordan

Suez Canal

Isreal

Crete

Spain

Denmark

Sweden

Estonia

St Petersburg 

Finland

And yes, the Caribbean 

MyEmoji_181018_190541_3.gif

It was not my intent to offend anyone so I apologize for that. I was just stating that I have met many people who have done A LOT of cruises and have rarely ventured across either pond if ever, but obviously if you have done 700 cruise nights hopefully you have expanded your travel horizon at some point.

We didn’t do too bad either this last year, especially for not being retired and working a full time job, having to bring a 3 and 8 year old and living in the super convenient travel and cruising state of KY. Although we did branch out of our comfort zone and try out NCL for a cruise and ***gasp*** actually do some independent touring through Eastern Europe on our own.

We try to keep variety in our travel as much as possible along with some Caribbean here and there just out of convenience.

We met lots of Pins during our travels over the years to non Caribbean countries.  So they do travel,  I would just say the majority of cruise days for most Pins has been earned sailing out of US ports to primarily the Caribbean or a 

All have been super nice, albeit we are only in the DL.  Never met a Pin that flaunted their status or was overbearing.  Maybe We are just lucky.

We enjoyed the repo to Asia through the Suez back in 2016.   Really nice trip.  Sadly work called and we could not do the second portion to India.  How was it?

1 minute ago, rimmit said:

It was not my intent to offend anyone so I apologize for that. I was just stating that I have met many people who have done A LOT of cruises and have rarely ventured across either pond if ever, but obviously if you have done 700 cruise nights hopefully you have expanded your travel horizon at some point.

We didn’t do too bad either this last year, especially for not being retired and working a full time job, having to bring a 3 and 8 year old and living in the super convenient travel and cruising state of KY. Although we did branch out of our comfort zone and try out NCL for a cruise and ***gasp*** actually do some independent touring through Eastern Europe on our own.

We try to keep variety in our travel as much as possible along with some Caribbean here and there just out of convenience.

We met lots of Pins during our travels over the years to non Caribbean countries.  So they do travel,  I would just say the majority of cruise days for most Pins has been earned sailing out of US ports to primarily the Caribbean or a 

All have been super nice, albeit we are only in the DL.  Never met a Pin that flaunted their status or was overbearing.  Maybe We are just lucky.

We enjoyed the repo to Asia through the Suez back in 2016.   Really nice trip.  Sadly work called and we could not do the second portion to India.  How was it?

Second half of your trip was the first half for us since we brought Mariner back to Spain. It was fun, but the leg you sailed was better. 

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

My condo has bingo in Snowbird Season. Really makes no sense to cruise this time of year. 😉

20190310_182146.jpg

#goals

retire to FL and live 10 min from a cruise port.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rimmit said:

#goals

retire to FL and live 10 min from a cruise port.

Actually lucked out and spent last two years of our careers working from home. 😉

Kept the house in ATL though and it was a $2,000 a month drain on our finances.  Kind of like cruising, but keeping a house you never use. Finally got rid of it the last year we worked. 

You need two more goals. Retire early (mid 50's) and stay healthy. 😎

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

I don’t think I’ve ever claimed the DL atmosphere wasn’t cordial.  Several upper tier posters complained about the inferior liquor they receive as complimentary drinks.  Other upper tier cruisers have commented on the DL chair hogs. I’ve commented on that and other things that I may find interesting or ridiculous.  Or both.   

I’ve been cruising since 1983.  Just not all on Royal.  If you want to exclude ANYONE from commenting on a thread unless they have verifiable personal experience by an upper tier cruiser, just make the entire website only accessible by those with verifiable upper tier status. 

I dont care to review your posting history to make sure you’ve never commented on a situation on which you didn’t personally participate (others tend to do that) so good for you.   You don’t have to read anything I have to say.   

Some of you upper tiers need to seriously lighten up.  I mean that. 

I have previously made what I hope are constructive suggestions regarding the solution of overcrowded DL lounges in the US but in Europe where we Cruise most of the time that has only happened once to us so isn't a personal issue.

We prefer the DL and rarely go into the CL although most of them are changing to SLs now that does not allow access to D+ and as this thread is about loss of D+ benefits that's why I entered the discussion.

I never drink spirits and have a few glasses of Sauvignon Blanc, or sparkling wine or a can of beer in the DL during the 1 hour we might be there at night and I am happy with that plus I always give the waiter $1 a drink tip in appreciation for their service.

Kind Regards Graham.

7 hours ago, Retired LEO said:

I didn't know you were sitting there. I was over in the corner by the windows when that statement was made. I just had to laugh at that one.

We were sitting at the bar I guess almost in front of you.  We were there a couple of nights sitting in the last 2 seats near the ramp

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Actually lucked out and spent last two years of our careers working from home. 😉

Kept the house in ATL though and it was a $2,000 a month drain on our finances.  Kind of like cruising, but keeping a house you never use. Finally got rid of it the last year we worked. 

You need two more goals. Retire early (mid 50's) and stay healthy. 😎

Health I am doing my best at.  So far so good....  but a lot of that is luck.

All we need is a 6.5% return from now until 2038 and we can retire then at age 56 and cruise and travel to our hearts desire so we are working on it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

I’m certainly permitted, as a non upper tier cruiser, to have an opinion on just about anything.  You’re free to totally disregard my opinion because I’m just part of steerage. I’ve not yet posted my own experience in these oh so uppity lounges, but I certainly DID and will continue to comment on adults complaining about the quality of their free drinks. 

This entire thread is a big reason why so many are reluctant to post anything here.  But hey, you have a wonderful day.  

I never buy a shoe unless I try it on first, I test drive a car before I buy it, I tour a house before I buy it, I don't do reviews on restaurants unless I eat there first ....just something funny I do I guess.  😉 

Dissing a lounge situation that you have never experienced yourself....how do you know you won't like it?  Try it, you might like it, or if you don't...well then your opinion is now valid.  Until then.....

Many of us do enjoy the lounges, hence the crowding on some ships, since there really are a lot of us that like the lounges.  I don't have a problem with them at all, preferring to go in just after first seating.  Never a problem finding a seat then.   

As far as the complaining about the quality of the drinks...I have never done so. I love meeting and socializing with fellow frequent cruisers in the lounge...birds of feather.  There are some that enjoy the lounge and...OMG...they don't drink  😮 ...but they love going to the lounge..go figure. 😉 

To each their own.  It is your choice, and choice is good.  Thanks for not taking up a seat in the lounge...we appreciate it.  🙂 

Edited by island lady

15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am pretty sure I remember him saying that he keeps an apartment or condo somewhere.

He does.  I don't think money is a problem for him.  Also, he is one of the nicest persons you will ever meet.  🙂 

15 hours ago, TravelerThom said:

Yes.  The first one I knew was Bea Muller who lived on the QE2 for many years; she was the second person I met on my first TransAtlantic crossing and I spent a number of delightful hours talking with her.  As she pointed out a cruise ship is Assisted Living at a significantly lower cost than obtainable in a metropolitan area. I have since encountered a hand full of others who had also sold homes and were living full time on ships except for an ocassional “vacation” during drydocks or to visit friends.

You might reconsider who it is that is making silly statements.  

There are exceptions to every rule, but living on a cruise ship without having a home...those are quite rare folks wouldn't you think? And I find them to be very unique indeed.  How wonderful for them!  

The point of my post is...if you go back and read that poster's statements, that person pretty much assumes that any and all of us retired folks who live in Florida cruise because it's cheaper than living at home.  It's a ranting thing about how those pax got to upper tier level.  Think about it.  

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Shanghai Airport 😱

Singapore 

Thailand

India

Oman

Dubai

Jordan

Suez Canal

Isreal

Crete

Spain

Denmark

Sweden

Estonia

St Petersburg 

Finland

And yes, the Caribbean 

Yes you did!  And loved your live review...bummer about the flights though.  😮 

I have flights booked for Hawaii, Alaska, the wine country in Washington, to PR (twice) and to NE for first time on Grandeur.  

Not to mention the land yacht takes us all over the country, since cruising is only 1/4 or less of our travels.  

We were home a totally of less than 3 months last year.  Probably will less this year.  

Good thing we downsized to the swamp!  😉 

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

A cruise ship is not even close to assisted living. It's an apartment with a meal plan. Hardly the same.  

Of course  they are not the same. Assisted living is $200 pd/pp in the New York metro area, Nursing home is about $400 pd/pp.

I can cruise for $125-$150 pp/pd.

Heck, I can opt for travel insurance & the drink package and maybe an occasion excursion and it's still cheaper than living on land. ...sorta...barely