Mediterranean Cruise Question

Snate

I  have been reading threads all over Cruise Critic and was hoping to get some honest informed responses if I started a thread specific to what I am looking for.  I am looking to take the wife and 13 year old son on a Med Cruise this summer.  I have been on many cruises including Celebrity but never taken a cruise in Europe.  I have specific dates I can go on a cruise this July and that limits me to 2 specific ships.  I can do the Edge from Barcelona to Rome (Barcelona/Valencia/Ibiza/Marseille/Nice/La Spezia/Rome) or the Infinity from Rome to Venice (Rome/Sicily/Malta/Argolstoli/Dubrovnik/Zadar/Venice).  Edge is more expensive (about $1K} but let's say that is not a factor.   Would love this boards opinions on comparing these two ships (new vs old), ports (either of these itineraries better or have more "must see ports" or are certain ports not really that interesting), and which one you would recommend.  Lastly, will weather matter between these two choices or will it just be plain hot no matter which one I do.  Really appreciate any help with this.

A couple of points to respond to - My family (Myself & my wife- late 30s), our son who will be 6 and my folks mid 60s have been doing Celebrity for a few years now and have done Rome -> Barcelona on Oceania so I can talk to some of the ports

1) We are doing the Edge on the July 6th saling.

2) If you book I think by the end of the day today - Kids sale free

3) If you haven't done the Med before I would tell you that these are much more of sight seeing cruises - you'll either want to book via the ship or on your own but make a plan either way

4) I think either itinerary would work - I really liked walking around the old city in Dubrovnik - it is a walled city and the entire street inside the wall is marble - also remember a lot of cats here.

I hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions

2 minutes ago, pl281 said:

A couple of points to respond to - My family (Myself & my wife- late 30s), our son who will be 6 and my folks mid 60s have been doing Celebrity for a few years now and have done Rome -> Barcelona on Oceania so I can talk to some of the ports

1) We are doing the Edge on the July 6th saling.

2) If you book I think by the end of the day today - Kids sale free

3) If you haven't done the Med before I would tell you that these are much more of sight seeing cruises - you'll either want to book via the ship or on your own but make a plan either way

4) I think either itinerary would work - I really liked walking around the old city in Dubrovnik - it is a walled city and the entire street inside the wall is marble - also remember a lot of cats here.

I hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions

Thanks for the response.  One of the reasons we are considering this is the kids sail free deal.  I did not realize that ends today.  Are you sure on that?  If so, then the price becomes really high in my opinion for both cruises.  Does Celebrity usually do more sales like this or is this the "one chance" to get a deal like this?

Barcelona, Rome and Venice are all incredible cities to visit.  Both cruises would be good, but I'd opt for Rome to Venice due to the more interesting ports of call.  I would also suggest booking a balcony on the infinity.  The jury is out on the infinity veranda cabins on the Edge which appear to be more like cabins with a large window you can open rather than an outdoor balcony....but that's personal preference.  I don't think I'd pay an extra $1000 to be on the edge and/or for the Barcelona/Rome itinerary.

Hope you plan to spend at least 3 days in Rome and at least 2 in Venice or Barcelona around your cruise.

• Like 2

1 ) As far as I know the Kids sale free is part of the $25 deposit offer and expires in 6 hours according to website

2) While they run 50% the 3rd guest regularly I've NEVER seen kids sale free - You may want to give celebrity a call - and even if it does perhaps book one on each for the $25 - READ CANCELLATION TERMS CAREFULLY -  and then you can pick

15 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Barcelona, Rome and Venice are all incredible cities to visit.  Both cruises would be good, but I'd opt for Rome to Venice due to the more interesting ports of call.  I would also suggest booking a balcony on the infinity.  The jury is out on the infinity veranda cabins on the Edge which appear to be more like cabins with a large window you can open rather than an outdoor balcony....but that's personal preference.  I don't think I'd pay an extra $1000 to be on the edge and/or for the Barcelona/Rome itinerary.

Hope you plan to spend at least 3 days in Rome and at least 2 in Venice or Barcelona around your cruise.

100% agree! 

Med cruises are very port intensive so the ship's amenities may be less important than if spending a great deal of time on the ship.  Personally I would take the Infinity.   To me the ports are more interesting and you could spend some time pre-cruise in Rome and post cruise in Venice.  

• Like 3

You might get lucky enough to sail by an active volcano if you chose Infinity.  Then there's Dubrovnik, an amazing walkable walled city where you can go up on the walls and walk the perimeter, and ending in Venice!  That would be my choice if traveling with a kid.

1 hour ago, Snate said:

I  have been reading threads all over Cruise Critic and was hoping to get some honest informed responses if I started a thread specific to what I am looking for.  I am looking to take the wife and 13 year old son on a Med Cruise this summer.  I have been on many cruises including Celebrity but never taken a cruise in Europe.  I have specific dates I can go on a cruise this July and that limits me to 2 specific ships.  I can do the Edge from Barcelona to Rome (Barcelona/Valencia/Ibiza/Marseille/Nice/La Spezia/Rome) or the Infinity from Rome to Venice (Rome/Sicily/Malta/Argolstoli/Dubrovnik/Zadar/Venice).  Edge is more expensive (about $1K} but let's say that is not a factor.   Would love this boards opinions on comparing these two ships (new vs old), ports (either of these itineraries better or have more "must see ports" or are certain ports not really that interesting), and which one you would recommend.  Lastly, will weather matter between these two choices or will it just be plain hot no matter which one I do.  Really appreciate any help with this.

I agree the Infinity has the better Itinerary. If you can book concierge cabin as it is a little larger. Ask Celebrity when you book. It will most likely be hot and humid which ever you choose. Stay hydrated. Good luck.

Decided to book the Infinity cruise.  Went with a C1 Aft cabin on deck 7.  Any other advice about those ports or anything else please feel free to respond and thanks for the help.

Good choice Snate,

Because you are new to Cruise Critic - and we all welcome you, take advantage of the Destinations/Ports of Call forums. You will get a wealth of information to plan each port.

Do plan on at least one day in Rome pre-cruise to explore and adjust to the ole jet lag. A couple of days is even better.

Be sure to do a lot of research on Venice and do not plan an early flight home since getting around there can be a little challenging. 

You really don't need a guided tour in Dubrovnik. Just use a shuttle or a cab to the walled city and wander. There are so many nooks and crannies to explore.

In Venice find a walking tour - there isn't any other way to explore the city and it's very easy to get lost. Your 13 year old may not be interested in Burano or Murano but both islands are easy to reach and are steeped in the arts.

If you do not live in a large city you do need to give your son some life lessons before you sail. Although not overwhelming you will probably see wonderfully diverse people but also beggers, graffiti, and pickpockets.

July will not only be hot in each port but you will find crowds everywhere. If you can pre-book site reservations do so. There are some very trustworthy tour companies which all three of you will enjoy far more than the ship excursions. Once again recommended companies will be found in the Destinations forums. Another wonderful source will be the Roll Call for your sailing. Scroll down to ROLL CALLS, click on Celebrity, then the Infinity forum and find your sailing. You might be able to connect with other families with preteens too.

Keep asking questions on the Roll Call or/and here on the Celebrity forum and we will all try to help.

• Like 1

I would not pay extra to sail on the Edge.  We go for the itinerary and price.

Here are some of my reviews of cruises we have done in the Med and Black Sea.

Spain, Canary Islands and Morocco

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80907

E. Med and Adriatic, NCL Gem

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=70129

Black Sea and E. Med

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=228545

British Isles

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221137

Transatlantic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221136

W. Med  NCL Epic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103808

Both itineraries  are good and you can´t go wrong with either one of them.

So the question is: which ship is more suited for a 13 year old? Definitely Edge!

M class ships like Infinity are great and have their fan group. They have a cozy and familiar ambiance - but S class and Edge have more Wow-factor if you don´t mind me using the term of another cruise line. 

And kids just like Wow-factor - and I guess parents don´t mind it either.

Edited by Miaminice

Inifinty was a good choice. The itinerary is great and the C1 aft cabins are super. Our kids have sailed all the M class ships except Summit (due to location nothing wrong with the ship) and have enjoyed them all. No way I’d pay a grand more for sailing in an IV on Edge and forfeit a C1 aft cabin to those ports, obviously only my opinion.

Yes, it will be very hot there in July and expect crowds - you’ll still have a wonderful time. 

Edited by villauk

We've been on many Med cruises. We'd certainly opt for the Infinity itinerary because the ports are more interesting (subjective) with the exception of Barcelona.

Use those saved $ to enjoy pre and post cruise stays.

Weather... well, we've had pretty warm temperatures for our summer cruises... yes, the occasional storm... whereas the weather can be a little more erratic at the start and end of the season.

Another thought: will you ever return for another European cruise?