Advice on Southampton Disembark / 1:00 PM from LHR

dustball

I could use some advice.  We are on the 8/11-8/25 Silhouette Ireland/Iceland Cruise.  We are trying to find flights (boy are they expensive!) and we found an affordable one that leaves on 8/25 at 1:00 PM from LHR.  Has anyone had good luck with being the first off the ship at 6 AM (carrying our luggage), going through customs, having a car waiting and gotten to LHR (approximately 1 hour commute on a Sunday) in time?

I would love to hear opinions on this.  Thanks to all my fellow cruisers.  This forum is invaluable!

Stephanie

Our situation was very different as we were not trying to make a 1PM flight, but in 2016 we used SmithsforAirports for a private transfer from the Southhampton cruise terminal to a Heathrow airport hotel.  The driver was waiting for us at the specified time, and we would use them again.  Others can chime in as to whether you can realistically make that flight.

1 hour ago, dustball said:
1 hour ago, dustball said:

I could use some advice.  We are on the 8/11-8/25 Silhouette Ireland/Iceland Cruise.  We are trying to find flights (boy are they expensive!) and we found an affordable one that leaves on 8/25 at 1:00 PM from LHR.  Has anyone had good luck with being the first off the ship at 6 AM (carrying our luggage), going through customs, having a car waiting and gotten to LHR (approximately 1 hour commute on a Sunday) in time?

With respect I just looked at your itinerary and, while your plans are likely doable, you may be somewhat optimistic in your timings and in "the cushion" you are anticipating...

• Silhouette is not scheduled to arrive at Southampton until 6:00 AM...  For a variety of reasons she may be a bit earlier, she may be exactly on time, or she might be a bit late but--in any case--no guests will be permitted to disembark--including those who do the unassisted walk-off with luggage [always popular/can be crowded]--until the ship has docked, been cleared by local authorities, and the gangways have been placed...  Those processes could easily take 30 to 45 minutes once the ship is dockside...
  • Depending upon your itinerary, it is possible that you will not need to clear British Immigration/Customs until you get to Heathrow [they may instead bring agents aboard--in your case--at Belfast--for clearance prior to arrival in Southampton]..
  • Perhaps you've already done so but, if not, I'd phone the airline you're considering using to confirm their recommended lead time for check-in/security/getting to the gate...  Many flights from Heathrow to The US--there may be exceptions; Heathrow is not always a quick/easy airport to navigate and is always crowded [keep in mind that many international flights arrive early morning] suggest a three hour lead time...
  • The distance between Southampton Cruise Port to Heathrow is 65/70 miles with much--but not all--of the distance via motorway…  That said the roads near the airport are most always congested; I would not expect the transfer to take less that 75 or 90 minutes...  Actually, my longest transfer ever [not normative but possible]--also early on a Sunday morning--took nearly three hours after encountering a serious auto accident on the motorway...
  • I am disembarking Celebrity Edge's inaugural Transatlantic on Monday, 13 May, and like Northern Aurora [Hi, G!] ; have also booked a transfer using Smiths For Airports [have been very pleased with their service in the past].  With an 8:00 AM pick-up at the dock [versus a 5:00 AM arrival time; I'd considered trying to get an earlier flight but thought it just too close], they are projecting arrival at Heathrow at 10:00 AM for my 2:15 PM flight...

I've done Ireland twice and Iceland once with Celebrity; you are in for a treat!  Enjoy!

OP: a very good place to ask your question is over in the Ports of Call/Europe/British Isles forum, where this is often asked, and you'll have local experts replying as well.  (Whatever the time of your flight, I agree with the advice to use Smiths for Airports for your transfer.)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/

25th August is that magic day...Sunday! No commuters!! However, that weekend is a bank holiday weekend, but you should be early enough to beat any 'holiday' traffic and most of it would be coast bound anyway...unless its a typical rainy bank holiday!!

However you do it (car service or even National Express coach) its only about 90 - 105 minutes, so easily doable.

If you are interested in the coach the site is https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

You leave from Southampton Coach station and its direct to all LHR terminals...currently £23.60 each.

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

3 hours ago, dustball said:

Thank you Northern Aurora!

I realized that I didn't mention that we are from the USA, so we would need to be at LHR by 11:00 AM.

Anyone ever try this?

Heathrow airport recommends that you arrive three hours before departure for International flights.

1 minute ago, cricketlover said:

Heathrow airport recommends that you arrive three hours before departure for International flights.

True, but if you can check in online whilst still on the ship the day before, 2hrs should be ample.

Simon

We had also a 1PM flight to Israel (same high security procedures as flights to US), done self disembark, and used SmithsforAirports (highly recommended).

We made it by 9.30AM to the airport, and had enough time "to kill", even if Heathrow is a mess....

It was a Sunday, and we checked in on line the day before.

As a U.K. resident if I was flying from Heathrow (as we frequently have) we spend the night before at a Heathrow hotel. Whilst technically we could drive to Heathrow or Southampton and cruise or fly the same day but we never risk it.

The flow of British roads is unpredictable, at best...One accident, rail strike/breakdown/unseasonable weather and expected time schedules become fictional. There are not many alternative routes if a major artery is blocked. 

OP, you could sail through and make your flight with time to spare or you could have a few anxious hours or even miss your flight. If your airline tickets are flexible then fine, nothing really to loose, but if you are on a fixed ticket then there is a risk.

Personally pre and post cruise we prefer to have comfortable commuting margins with no rush, no risk and no worrying end to a vacation. 

I guess to quote Clint ‘Do you feel lucky?’

I would pay more for a later flight and peace of mind...

Edited by chemmo

Our recent Nov experience...had 2:15pm flight and 6am end to cruise. Purchased/Planned on 8-10:15am National bus. Carried off our bags and off very quickly - no one to talk to, just keep walking.  Was at bus station by 7am.  Looking good!  7:15 email buzz. Flight delayed until next day!  Nooooo...  But worked out w airline that there was a 12:00 flight.  Ended up taking taxi ($150 cash+tip) and was at airport by 9:30.  Wasn’t going to bus-it that close.  Stressful, but because of the change.  Airline did take care of us!

We have booked Smiths for Airport for transport to and from Southampton. Happy to see endorsements. We are traveling from Halifax and planned on arriving a day before the cruise and leaving a day after. I have spent too many hours of my life in traffic jams to risk missing either the boat or the plane.

2 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

National Bus for 23 pounds or taxi for 150 + tip...… Hot hard to decide.

Perhaps…  But the cost differential reduces significantly [and may be totally offset] based upon the number of passengers sharing a private transfer [it may cost £150 for a taxi but the car service I've engaged is ~ 25% lower before gratuity] and the car service is door-to-door, dock to one's airline terminal at Heathrow [not the airport's central bus terminal], without needing to incur a taxi fare from the dock to the Southampton bus terminal or to jockey luggage in Southampton and at Heathrow...

National Express does a fine/reliable job but busses are often booked to capacity and not all routes are express between Southampton Bus Terminal and Heathrow Central Bus Terminal...  Depending upon scheduling, the trip can evolve into something of an odyssey... 

Edited by Xport

On 3/21/2019 at 2:24 PM, dustball said:

I would love to hear opinions on this.  Thanks to all my fellow cruisers.  This forum is invaluable!

Stephanie

We have self disembarked at Southampton 3 times - IIRC we were off the ship by about 6 and in our car (parked on site) and driving off by about 6.15.  It's very easy and quick.  Under normal circumstances I think there's a very god chance you'll be in a taxi on your way within 15-20 mins of disembarking.  It's about 70-80 minutes on the motorway from Southampton to Heathrow.

The big unknown is what effect the political upheaval in the UK will have on customs & immigration, and customs at the port. 

1 hour ago, DYKWIA said:

The big unknown is what effect the political upheaval in the UK will have on customs & immigration, and customs at the port. 

Correct, and that’s what would concern me - that’s without any traffic issues along the way. It’s an unknown quantity in the current climate, irrespective of what’s happened in the past. 

3 minutes ago, villauk said:

Correct, and that’s what would concern me - that’s without any traffic issues along the way. It’s an unknown quantity in the current climate, irrespective of what’s happened in the past. 

...yes, for those people who are not following UK and European politics - there is a complete uncertainty about what the near future holds for the UK at the moment.  This is of particular note in relation to the mainland and Ireland (Northern Ireland part of the UK and EIRE, not part of the UK).  It remains completely unclear whether we will have crashed out of the European Union in the next 7 days or whether it will be in the next couple of months or if it will happen at all.  

Tensions are also rising in the country with one half of the UK seemingly hating the other half, worrying times.

I read a tweet earlier today which seems to sum the current situation up well. "As a nation we're basically at the point in a Scorcese film when Gimme Shelter starts playing and everything goes to s**t".......