Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

Just received a text from family onboard.  "Waiting for another helicopter.  Maybe another couple of hours.  Waves hitting the ship.  Scary stuff. But they are feeding us and everyone is comfortable, just waiting."  

Thanks for all the information and support.  It has been most helpful.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Wondering why Viking Sky left Tromso with this storm forecast:

Ryan Maue  has a PhD In Meteorology

Verified account

@RyanMaue
Follow Follow @RyanMaue
More
Viking Cruise ship evacuating passengers off coast of Norway -- engine trouble. They are lucky ...

The ship sailed in worst possible area of "bomb cyclone" storm ...
Hurricane force winds + Maximum wave height of 60-80 feet.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, newcruiser1956 said:

They are not at muster stations, they have moved inside and up... I suspect that is from the broken door letting water in when the waves crash over the sides.  Some waves are 40+ feet high.  I do not think they are posting rubbish,  they are just posting their current reality.

I've already posted an apology about  my misunderstanding and reasons for my comment at this time. Please read all posts before commenting. I  commented on this post when it was all new and all happening...….. read on.

At the time I posted I thought that trolls were cashing in to the whole thing and meant well by standing up for what was right and the dignity of it all so to be honest I am now brassed off to find that I am now being treaded like a troll myself ….

:classic_sad:

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Phnxgrl said:

My mother and youngest sister are onboard. We’ve only gotten sporadic texts because they are conserving their phone batteries. I’m thankful to have found this place, it’s really our only source of info. 

From what i last heard heard the damage to ship is fairly extensive and there are a lot of injuries, and yes, the injured get priority for evacuation. They’ve been told it will be hours. 

As you can imagine, myself, my other sister and my father are terrified. We’re a veteran cruising family and have really been shocked by all this. Thanks to all the first reponders helping them, please keep the info coming! 

Evacuation via helicopter hoist operations are slow. It simply takes a long time. Additionally the helicopters will have to stop and refuel as well. It's a long job.

41 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

Thank you gatour.

Do I understand you correctly that where a cruise line is "homebased" may affect how it approaches such maintenance? Do you know about Viking's requirements regarding these overhauls? This, to me, is analogous to why business prefer certain states (live Deleware or Nevada) in which to incorporate.

Yes it matters, ships only have to follow the laws and regulations of the countries they are registered in. The Viking Sky is registered in Norway so I would imagine it's pristine mechanical shape, Norway has strict maritime laws and regulations. MAN diesel engines are well regarded also. I think it's interesting to note it was built at Fincantieri where Carnival builds all their ships and have famously had issues with.

Edited by Palmetto Pilot
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hanoj said:

Wondering why Viking Sky left Tromso with this storm forecast:

Ryan Maue  has a PhD In Meteorology

Verified account

@RyanMaue
Follow Follow @RyanMaue
More
Viking Cruise ship evacuating passengers off coast of Norway -- engine trouble. They are lucky ...

The ship sailed in worst possible area of "bomb cyclone" storm ...
Hurricane force winds + Maximum wave height of 60-80 feet.

It is the obvious question...why with all the sophisticated weather information available these days would they leave port?  I think Viking is going to be faced with some serious legal action on this one....no one should have to endure something like this...I watched a bit of the video and got sick just watching it...some below are making light of this?  I guess they wanted to "stay on schedule"?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, goodtobequeen said:

Received another text, "We are now underway. I think we will be evacuated by helicopter before we reach port."

Why would they still be evacuating if they have engines working again?

Because some people may still be injured and shore based facilities are better equipped to deal with the injured.

1 minute ago, goodtobequeen said:

Received another text, "We are now underway. I think we will be evacuated by helicopter before we reach port."

Why would they still be evacuating if they have engines working again?

They may not be confident they can keep all engines running? She's doing 2-3 knots atm, so she won't reach Molde for a long time . 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

It is the obvious question...why with all the sophisticated weather information available these days would they leave port?  I think Viking is going to be faced with some serious legal action on this one....no one should have to endure something like this...I watched a bit of the video and got sick just watching it...some below are making light of this?  I guess they wanted to "stay on schedule"?

Well, this was my question as well.  But I don't know too much about that part of the world.  I know that with  Caribbean cruises, I always have full confidence that the ships will change course to outrun hurricane situations.  But maybe in the North there the seas are more unpredictable, or nowhere to run?

I'm sure that all decisions were made with "safety first" in mind, as is always the case at sea. 

All in all...just many prayers for now for all those aboard.

5 minutes ago, Dekksguten said:

They may not be confident they can keep all engines running? She's doing 2-3 knots atm, so she won't reach Molde for a long time . 

Thanks.  While we all have cruised before, we have never experienced anything like this.  

8 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Facts are not out so rather than trying to figure out why or talk about legal action,  let's concentrate on the passengers and crews lives and safety.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Well, this was my question as well.  But I don't know too much about that part of the world.  I know that with  Caribbean cruises, I always have full confidence that the ships will change course to outrun hurricane situations.  But maybe in the North there the seas are more unpredictable, or nowhere to run?

I'm sure that all decisions were made with "safety first" in mind, as is always the case at sea. 

All in all...just many prayers for now for all those aboard.

It is a fair question -

on the other hand having got caught in a storm in the drake passage with similar waves and having the captain say “we’re not quite certain where we are but will let you know when we do”. These things do happen and this was a very large storm.  It is not unusual for even the largest of cruise ships to get delayed in the drake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jiminyC_fan said:

Facts are not out so rather than trying to figure out why or talk about legal action,  let's concentrate on the passengers and crews lives and safety.  

I get your point... but... most of us here are just being armchair quarterbacks.  If you're on the ship or evacuated I would like to hear your story.  For the rest of us, we are going to discuss and debate until this is over.

• Like 3

If you remember, the NCL "Breakaway" ran into weather trouble just off the East coast a year or two ago.  We don't know yet, perhaps a storm intensified far beyond what was expected.  jiminyC is right, we need to await the facts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I get your point... but... most of us here are just being armchair quarterbacks.  If you're on the ship or evacuated I would like to hear your story.  For the rest of us, we are going to discuss and debate until this is over.

Yep...it is a question that will be seriously asked...so obvious...per the weather reports they knew it was very bad...and yes schedules are important.  

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Agree. I'm having second thoughts about our Med cruise on Viking Star in 2 months. 

I think it’s natural for people to want to have answers and if there was a possibility that this could have been avoided or if it could likely happen again. Especially those who have cruises booked with Viking in the next couple of months. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1