Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

5 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

Agree. I'm having second thoughts about our Med cruise on Viking Star in 2 months. 

Is the Mediterranean known for bad weather, large waves etc?  What is considered a good time to sail the Mediterranean versus a bad time?

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Is the Mediterranean known for bad weather, large waves etc?  What is considered a good time to sail the Mediterranean versus a bad time?

More like large Rock Islands and poor navigation. Concordia for instance. 

39 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

It is the obvious question...why with all the sophisticated weather information available these days would they leave port?  I think Viking is going to be faced with some serious legal action on this one....no one should have to endure something like this...I watched a bit of the video and got sick just watching it...some below are making light of this?  I guess they wanted to "stay on schedule"?

And the "obvious" answer is that the worst place for a large cruise ship to be in a major storm is docked (or anchored) in a port!  The norm is to get the ship out to sea (where it is actually safer) and try to avoid the storm or the worst part of the storm.   In fact, most harbor masters will close ports in severe weather and request that ships depart....generally before the storm reaches the port.

What happened here is not necessarily related to the weather but to a major power failure (usually electrical).   None of us who routinely cruise (we have spent over 1000 days on cruise ships) or spend time at sea are "making light" of it!  In fact, I have texted a family member who is on that ship (she is doing fine) to express our concern and inquire about her well-being.  And as I posted earlier, she replied that they are doing OK and waiting to be rescued (they are still thinking by helicopter). 

What I find distressing are the comments (such as yours) that immediately want to point the finger of blame to something, or start asking about compensation.  Neither of those issues are appropriate at this point in time when over 1100 folks still remain on that vessel.  Trust me that my wife's cousin (who is on the ship and at her muster station) is only concerned about getting to land..   There will be plenty of time later to deal with the blame game.  For now, it is about saving lives.

Hank

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, just_dont said:

Not many cyclones in the Med in May.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I get that. My concern has more to do with whether this incident was impacted by an error in judgment, which is conjecture at this point.

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Weather and waves this severe is not impossible but is more rare to see in the Med.

5 minutes ago, just_dont said:

Was it able to lay anchor, or did it run aground?
Can't imagine they'd abandon it adrift.

Freighter is anchored according to the latest reports. 

Edit: messed up the quote. 

Edited by Dekksguten

Having experienced 40 foot swells and 80 mph winds on a ship twice this size in the middle of the Atlantic with stabilizers deployed I can only imagine how much worse this situation is.  We had an adventure. These folks are experiencing a nightmare. (2002 we were on Brilliance of the Seas maiden T/A crossing and could not outrun hurricane Gustav)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I get your point... but... most of us here are just being armchair quarterbacks.  If you're on the ship or evacuated I would like to hear your story.  For the rest of us, we are going to discuss and debate until this is over.

As to your earlier question about medications..at the safety drill you are instructed to bring medications,  if you hear the alarm and dress warmly. I will only speculate, but my guess is Viking crew is going cabin by cabin retrieving meds of those that did not bring theirs to the muster location.  Note: I have been through an abandon ship call..but, it was nothing like this situation, as our ship was in port in calm seas.

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

no not during the summer...that would be unusual...very unusual.

3 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

I get that. My concern has more to do with whether this incident was impacted by an error in judgment, which is conjecture at this point.

I was on the Sky in Jan.    The Captain kept us in port for an extra and skipped another because he felt the weather was going to be bad enough to make it unsafe for us to dock.  I sincerely doubt this was bad judgement.  He did not act reckless with us 3 months ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

And the "obvious" answer is that the worst place for a large cruise ship to be in a major storm is docked (or anchored) in a port!  The norm is to get the ship out to sea (where it is actually safer) and try to avoid the storm or the worst part of the storm.   In fact, most harbor masters will close ports in severe weather and request that ships depart....generally before the storm reaches the port.

Don't know if they should have left the port for the safety of the ship, but they didn't need to take the passengers..

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

Agree. I'm having second thoughts about our Med cruise on Viking Star in 2 months. 

there is a million miles of a difference between the med and the north sea at any time of year, the med in may I would not hesitate to do. but the north sea now in feb no way and in may only at the end and only if i was not crossing from uk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And there is zero point in conjecture at this time and forum. I can't fault you for your concerns regarding your cruise, but posting them doesn't help any of those aboard, nor those fearing for those aboard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Don't know if they should have left the port for the safety of the ship, but they didn't need to take the passengers..

Speculation is the "ship of fools."  But we are talking about seas of around 8-10  meters (according to reports)  would not be a major problem for a cruise ship.  Trying to forecast the loss of power is an entirely different issue.  Given some of the posts about power loss issues on other Viking vessels, it sound like there are some engineering issues that need to be addressed.

Hank

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, matadams4u said:

This seems to show how precarious the situation was or is

Honestly, pulling that off with only one engine in those conditions is some excellent seamanship. 

Edited by Dekksguten
  • Like 14

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

What happened here is not necessarily related to the weather but to a major power failure (usually electrical).   None of us who routinely cruise (we have spent over 1000 days on cruise ships) or spend time at sea are "making light" of it!  In fact, I have texted a family member who is on that ship (she is doing fine) to express our concern and inquire about her well-being.  And as I posted earlier, she replied that they are doing OK and waiting to be rescued (they are still thinking by helicopter). 

What I find distressing are the comments (such as yours) that immediately want to point the finger of blame to something, or start asking about compensation.  Neither of those issues are appropriate at this point in time when over 1100 folks still remain on that vessel.  Trust me that my wife's cousin (who is on the ship and at her muster station) is only concerned about getting to land..   There will be plenty of time later to deal with the blame game.  For now, it is about saving lives.

Hank

Thank God for responses like yours.  Oh, and "Thank You," too!

• Like 5

Report of three working engines on the Viking Sky for the time being, so the ship is slowly moving towards more calm waters. But the evacuation will continue for as long as needed, a spokesman for the rescue services said.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Incident happened off western coast of Norway, latest all passengers off, thank goodness only a few injuries. The vessel initially lost power to both engines then managed to restart one which enabled them to get some steerage way. A freighter went to rescue also lost power so a couple of helecopters were diverted to assist her. Seas looked pretty high not surprising this time of year. Fingers crossed all is well for all. CA

Edited by Canal archive