Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

3 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Totally correct. The Master will have received reports from the Chief Engineer regarding the status of the propulsion plant and conducted a risk analysis.

Based on the information being received from the media, the ship does not appear to be in imminent danger of sinking/foundering. However, the Master will be cognisant that if propulsion is again lost and the anchor doesn't hold, the ship will quickly be on the rocks. Passenger vessels with shallow draft and high superstructures are very susceptible to wind and even if a mile offshore, it would be aground very quickly.

That scenario would require an emergency evacuation  by the survival craft (lifeboats/liferafts). Launching survival craft has dangers, which would be increased in these conditions. Even when launched it would be very uncomfortable, especially in the rafts. Only ever been in a raft in a swimming pool and it was rather uncomfortable. I have inflated and launched them at sea (no crew) and they are rather lively.

Therefore, the Master will have assessed that an orderly evacuation by helo ops is the best and safest option for his/her passengers. If the situation stabilises prior to completing the evacuation, the Captain may then decide to cancel the evacuation and head to port. At present, watching the tracking website they are slow steaming just off-shore.

Thank you for that really informative post.

Have to say I am impressed with how it is all being dealt with by the ship's crew and the Norwegian coast guard (not sure what they are called). I get the feeling that the passengers are in safe hands

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, matadams4u said:

A couple notes from my Twitter news feed -  the entire Red Cross auxiliary from two town - 65 people have been activated at welcome centers.  Also the ship was in the worst part of the bomb cyclone.  

The Norwegian Home Guard (military reserve) has also been activated and are assisting.

• Thanks 1

Update: 7:42 PM ... rough translation from Norwegian 

LAST kl. 19.42: Two rescue helicopters are on their way to the Norwegian cargo ship Hagland Captain to assist the casualty. HRS considers everyone in the cruise ship close by as safe. The Central Investigation Center informs NRK that the cargo ship Hagland Captain reports that they had a problem just before 19:00. They have a motor stop and have lost part of the timber load overboard. The ship is in the area just off the cruise ship.

NRK is the news agency, HRS is the Norwegian rescue agency

Edited by voyageur9
update
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, AAAAmerican said:

May all souls aboard and now ashore be well! Prayer works. A MAYDAY in March worked.

Tusen Taak!!

Norwegian newspaper VG said the Viking Sky cruise ship ran into propulsion problems as strong winds and heavy seas hit Norway's coastal regions Saturday.

Police in the western county of Moere og Romsdal said Saturday the ship has managed to moor in Hustadsvika Bay, between the western Norwegian cities of Alesund and Trondheim.

Rescue teams with helicopters and boats have been sent to help and evacuate the vessel,

Is it propelled by those IMHO, horrible brerakdown Azi Pods? Why not go back to a Triple Screw now?

Negative on Azi-Pods. The Viking ships have the combined fixed pitch prop & rudder - Rolls-Royce Promas propulsion system.

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Thank you for that really informative post.

Have to say I am impressed with how it is all being dealt with by the ship's crew and the Norwegian coast guard (not sure what they are called). I get the feeling that the passengers are in safe hands

As a Norwegian I have to say it makes me proud to see the way this situation is dealt with. 

Looks 100% professional in every part. Rescuers, voluntears, hotels, medical personell, it just looks so calm and professional

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, AL3XCruise said:

I can't be sure, but I doubt that is the issue.  Not only are modern azipods far more reliable than older models, they are largely independent of each other.  Viking sky appears to have the Promas system, which is an integrated steering system but not a traditional "pod design"

Someone with ship handling experience can correct me, but I believe even in rough conditions one propulsion unit would be able to maintain control of the ship.  Two are required for high speed cruise, but a single unit is fairly capable on its own.

Regardless of the cause, I hope for a swift resolution that enables the safest outcome for the passengers and crew!

Affirmative, in most conditions you can handle a twin screw ship with only a single operating shaft, provided the shaft is providing sufficient power for the conditions.

1 minute ago, fairbourne said:

Norwegian Search and Rescue Helicopter did a DRILL emergency medivac on this very ship when we were on board for the christening voyage.  That was scary enough - just watching - in near perfect weather.   

Just a year ago, on a Hurtigruten ship, they also did a full Medivac drill, very carefully.

Good work!

GC

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Just a year ago, on a Hurtigruten ship, they also did a full Medivac drill, very carefully.

Good work!

GC

Yes absolutely, shout out for all those carrying out the evacuation.   

Edited by fairbourne
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Am guessing that sometimes people post things that may be sensationalist. Not saying it is, but would no be surprised --- I can not imagine that they are in muster stations knee deep in water ……… they are 7 decks up I imagine. Doesn't help people with family on there though. Some people are idiots posting rubbish (i.e. on Twitter) --- shame on them.

I certainly wouldn't discount the report of a broken window in a Muster Station. Although these fire rated windows are thick and very heavy, they can be broken.

I have experienced a similar experience approaching San Francisco on the original Island Princess. We dug into a swell, which shattered a lounge window. If the ship is moving heavily, the movement can also cause different stresses. Have lost about 1/2 dozen windows over my years at sea without an impact force.

• Thanks 1

I am overwhelmed by  - and very grateful for - the depth and breadth of knowledge and experience brought to this discussion by so many of the individuals posting about this crisis.  It really is - you are - quite extraordinary.

• Like 10

Some rescued passengers who were interviewed report that the windows did fail, and the sea DID come in.  Some were injured by the broken glass.  (Apparently one of the muster stations was a dining room, which are often low and aft; the ship certainly appeared to be dipping into the sea, or something close to that.)

Rescue will continue all night.

Anyone know how the freighter crew is doing?

GC

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

I certainly wouldn't discount the report of a broken window in a Muster Station. Although these fire rated windows are thick and very heavy, they can be broken.

I have experienced a similar experience approaching San Francisco on the original Island Princess. We dug into a swell, which shattered a lounge window. If the ship is moving heavily, the movement can also cause different stresses. Have lost about 1/2 dozen windows over my years at sea without an impact force.

As far as I am aware I haven't discounted a report re a broken window in a Muster Station. Did I ?? If so, when and where??

I just commented on someone saying there was water half way up the furniture. If the water was caused by a broken window on the ship that is different from how it was presented on the post I responded to as if the ship was going under.

I still think it is sensationalist and has no place in this at all ---

PS We don't have twitter …..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I agree. Although I understand where Presto2 is coming there was a lethal incident on board a cruise ship regarding a smashed restaurant window on board Marco Polo in 2014; https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/02/articles/rough-weather/1-dead-12-injured-pandemonium-after-wave-breaks-window-floods-cruise-ship-restaurant/