Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Some rescued passengers who were interviewed report that the windows did fail, and the sea DID come in.  Some were injured by the broken glass.  (Apparently one of the muster stations was a dining room, which are often low and aft; the ship certainly appeared to be dipping into the sea, or something close to that.)

Rescue will continue all night.

Anyone know how the freighter crew is doing?

GC

If that is the video I thought was sensationalist re the muster station I apologise if it was accurate. In the world we are in we just expect people jumping on band waggons and posting false things. It is a bit like the boy who cried wolf and when it really happens we don't think it is real.

• Like 1

Main Restaurant is located on Deck 2 Aft, this is also Muster Station 'B' and last i checked the free board to Deck 2 is approx. 8.5m (approx. 25 feet) so its entirely plausible that with the sea state they're in being over 9m in height with a rolling ship....well, its a recipe for disaster

2 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

Yikes!  That's the ship we are booked on for our Trade Routes of the Middle Ages in the fall of 2020.  I was happy because it was one of the newer ships.  Guess that doesn't mean much!

I would think any problems would be addressed by that time.

Best wishes to people onboard.  Viking seems like they are doing the best they can.

Nothing much to add other than I have been aboard this ship many times working on a hospitality desk when she has been in Scotland.   Sky is my favourite Viking ship.  Lovely crew.   

Just wanted to add that I'm sure I echo all the thoughts of my colleagues in Edinburgh wishing all the passengers and crew (and the ship) a safe and speedy resolution to this.  No captain takes a decision to abandon ship easily.

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

I agree. Although I understand where Presto2 is coming there was a lethal incident on board a cruise ship regarding a smashed restaurant window on board Marco Polo in 2014; https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/02/articles/rough-weather/1-dead-12-injured-pandemonium-after-wave-breaks-window-floods-cruise-ship-restaurant/

Totally get it - have read other posts. Don't have Twitter so just thought it was yet another social media wind up / false post

Apologies for my cynicism --- am still following and watching tonight and am praying for the safety of all concerned

• Like 2

Just took a look on the twitter site and noticed a picture of my wife's cousin sitting in a lounge in her lifejacket.  We texted her thinking they might be close enough to shore to get a signal.   We got a quick response that they were fine and waiting for helicopter rescue.  She expects it could be many hours (that might be an understatement) but seemed to be in good spirts and would fill us in whenever they get to land...."somewhere in Norway."

Hank

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Anyone know how the freighter crew is doing?

GC

Have been  following the Hagland Captain's position on Marine Traffic; ship is closer to shore than the Sky.   Responding ships  in the area seemed to have pulled back a good distance from the cargo ship. There's a tug next to the Sky.

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I just commented on someone saying there was water half way up the furniture. If the water was caused by a broken window on the ship that is different from how it was presented on the post I responded to as if the ship was going under.

I still think it is sensationalist and has no place in this at all ---

It was my post you replied to originally. I asked if the video clip could be verified to be from the Viking Sky. I did not suggest Viking Sky was "going under" in any way. I made no comment in that regard whatsoever. You sound as if you are concluding that if anyone shows any event on a ship when some water is taken on board they are suggesting the ship is sinking? For goodness sake, there is plenty of available video currently showing it is not sinking. 

I said it was scary - and it is indeed a scary situation these people are in. Undeniably. 

I was seeking verification of the clip precisely because people on twitter sometimes post completely unrelated videos from different events. 

I hope you are not accusing me of being sensationalist. I reject that entirely. I merely wanted to know if this clip was indeed of Viking Sky today and it seems that is it as mainstream news are now showing it. All available information is helpful if it gives us insight into what is happening on board the vessel.  Ignorance is not bliss.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just took a look on the twitter site and noticed a picture of my wife's cousin sitting in a lounge in her lifejacket.  We texted her thinking they might be close enough to shore to get a signal.   We got a quick response that they were fine and waiting for helicopter rescue.  She expects it could be many hours (that might be an understatement) but seemed to be in good spirts and would fill us in whenever they get to land...."somewhere in Norway."

Hank

Small world!

GC

Thoughts and prayers for everyone involved.  We were on the January 25th sailing of this cruise and our muster station was in the main dining room.  We were fortunate enough to have relatively calm seas but did miss one port due to high winds and we are even more grateful now that the captain made that decision.  I remember seeing the Captain around the ship and while he seemed young to me, he's clearly very capable.  Kuddos to all for the quick action.

2 minutes ago, auldlassie said:

It was my post you replied to originally. I asked if the video clip could be verified to be from the Viking Sky. I did not suggest Viking Sky was "going under" in any way. I made no comment in that regard whatsoever. You sound as if you are concluding that if anyone shows any event on a ship when some water is taken on board they are suggesting the ship is sinking? For goodness sake, there is plenty of available video currently showing it is not sinking. 

I said it was scary - and it is indeed a scary situation these people are in. Undeniably. 

I was seeking verification of the clip precisely because people on twitter sometimes post completely unrelated videos from different events. 

I hope you are not accusing me of being sensationalist. I reject that entirely. I merely wanted to know if this clip was indeed of Viking Sky today and it seems that is it as mainstream news are now showing it. All available information is helpful if it gives us insight into what is happening on board the vessel.  Ignorance is not bliss.

I really, really do apologise if you are offended. I am genuinely upset that you have read in to this tonight like this. I wasn't accusing you of anything at all, just those who were posting on twitter. (You have to admit there are some idiots on social media who post things that are not accurate and make things up ...sick people that want a moment of fame)

I was just being cynical and thought that you hadn't seen it as being a 'mock up'

I have been following this thread since it started and would never want to offend. It just shows that sometimes posts can be misread from all sides

If I have offended you I am genuinely and truly, truly sorry ---

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Captain_Morgan said:

live update on CNN....only 115 pax air lifted so far....ship holding steady....plans to continue evacuation throughout the night....8 people with 'light' injuries already taken ashore

Do you know if they still have partial power, enough to keep the ship under (vague?) control?

Thanks.

GC

Thank you for making that clear. I thought it was me you were referring to as sensationalist. I am sorry if I misunderstood you. 

I almost booked this very cruise. Perhaps that is making me a bit too touchy about things, but I truly want to know how those on board are faring, what are their current circumstances and am hoping so much that they all get ashore safe and well. 

I know we can both agree that is the main thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AL3XCruise said:

I can't be sure, but I doubt that is the issue.  Not only are modern azipods far more reliable than older models, they are largely independent of each other.  Viking sky appears to have the Promas system, which is an integrated steering system but not a traditional "pod design"

Someone with ship handling experience can correct me, but I believe even in rough conditions one propulsion unit would be able to maintain control of the ship.  Two are required for high speed cruise, but a single unit is fairly capable on its own.

Regardless of the cause, I hope for a swift resolution that enables the safest outcome for the passengers and crew!

The propulsion motors on a ship like Viking Sky are independent of each other as well. Promas is just a product name for a propeller hub and rudder design to increase efficiency. 

The problem with Viking Sky is that if they have only one generator running, it won't be able to provide enough power to run the propulsion motors, steering gear and all of the essential services onboard. You have to remember that it isn't just a simple case of starting a generator - you have to power fuel and lub oil pumps, purifiers, heaters, cooling water pumps, compressors and starting air systems etc. 

To answer your question, yes the ship can run with just one propeller. 

• Thanks 1

According to Weather and Maritime Met Reporting, the conditions are not good.  Winds  from the West at 20mph gusting to 40.  Rain, 38 F  Waves 10-15 ft And Right now it is dark.  The Heli rescue pilots have their hands full.   According to Maritime AIS, they are 3-5 miles offshore to the West so the winds and waves  would be pushing them onshore, but it seems the ship is holding its own, holding its distance away from shore.  Thank God

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, auldlassie said:

Thank you for making that clear. I thought it was me you were referring to as sensationalist. I am sorry if I misunderstood you. 

I almost booked this very cruise. Perhaps that is making me a bit too touchy about things, but I truly want to know how those on board are faring, what are their current circumstances and am hoping so much that they all get ashore safe and well. 

I know we can both agree that is the main thing.

Glad we are on the same page -- was genuinely upset that I had upset you

Let's just pray for those on board now

x

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Do you know if they still have partial power, enough to keep the ship under (vague?) control?

Thanks.

GC

Viking Sky has some power (lights are on) ... but is anchored close (less than 4 kilometres off rocky headlands) in high wings and heavy seas .... so it may just be auxiliary diesel running generators rather than main engines. Clearly insufficient power to drive ship offshore. 

Edited by voyageur9
typo