Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

The storm is so severe that it's pushing cars off the road in Norway.

@Hanoj,
Not sure I'd be jumping to blame Viking in these circumstances, especially with that one freighter becoming disabled (and losing some of its cargo) trying to assist.

Last I recall hearing of that ship, it was in greater risk of running aground than Sky.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

looks like she has been on a steady course for the last hour and now appears to be turning to the south west possibly heading toward Molde, Multiple tugs close behind which indicates Sky is under control on it's own 

Of the three ships near the Sky, one is tug, the other two are Offshore Supply Ships. 

2 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

I can't be sure, but I doubt that is the issue.  Not only are modern azipods far more reliable than older models, they are largely independent of each other.  Viking sky appears to have the Promas system, which is an integrated steering system but not a traditional "pod design"

Someone with ship handling experience can correct me, but I believe even in rough conditions one propulsion unit would be able to maintain control of the ship.  Two are required for high speed cruise, but a single unit is fairly capable on its own.

Regardless of the cause, I hope for a swift resolution that enables the safest outcome for the passengers and crew!

You are right. We had an engine issue on the Sun this January. We could not move full speed and missed Recife, Brazil. The engineers and engine part waited us at the next stop.

Our hearts with all passengers and the great crew. We wish all of them safe journey home.

on the lighter note all of you have something to tell your kids and grandkids. They will be very proud of you!!! We definitely proud of everyone and grateful to Captain, fantastic crew and everyone who helped you to the safety!

the vast majority of cruise ships are 'diesel electric'

there are cargo ships that have 'main engines' directly connected to the propeller shafts, and some military vessels are built this was too ... but this is most uncommon on 'cruise ships'.  WHY? cruise ships need HUGE amounts of electricity for hair dryers and curling irons so it is cost effective to build huge electricity generating systems and power the ship this way.  Simplistic and sarcastic .... YES ... but also true. (and modern POD systems REQUIRE this set up)

On a modern cruise ship there are multiple 'main engines' as folks like to call them, and they are connected to generators to make electricity.  As the need for more juice goes up, they will bring another 'main' on the line to make more juice.  When the load goes down, they can shut off an engine and save fuel.  It is common for a cruise ship to have a 'main' partially disassembled and in the overhaul or repair process while operating 'normally' ... the other engines providing sufficient juice.

Many recent cruise ship incidents have been reported in the press as 'engine problems' and this is easy words for folks who don't need or want technical details.  In virtually every case the true issue was electrical .... either the distribution system or an electric motor (or associated equipment).  The recent EPIC incidents were not 'loss of an engine' but a failure of a major electrical component on the electric driver for one of the prop's (shafts).  The famous CARN incidents involved the master switchboards for routing the juice. I suspect this will turn out the same .....

What is the probability of 4 main engines all stopping at the same time?  Is there a reason it COULD happen?  YES, I can think of several ..... but professionals running the engines should NEVER let these happen ..... could there be a design flaw?  Of course ..... maybe the unusual seas made something happen they'd not seen b4.  The VIKING ships are all 'new' by cruise ship age . . .

on the other hand ... THIS incident was basically the result of a wrong valve opened, another not closed, and people who were supposed to monitor ... not monitoring

cougarace2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Sorry that I have been absent for the last 1,5 hours. I just checked the latest Norwegian news, and they now report a total of 9 passengers to hospital with injuries - and 3 of them are reported to be serious but doesn't give any details in that regard, and two have been transferred to Kristiansund hospital and one of them has been transferred (by air) from Molde hospital to the larger Bergen university hospital.

Latest report is that 139 persons have  been evacuated until now.

Thanks for this.

1 minute ago, mimmy52 said:

I wonder how they decide who gets evacuated first.  Women and children?  Young to old?  And I just hope everyone gets through this with the least amount of injuries.

no children onboard, but i'd think it would be sick/injured first and there is no doubt a triage of sorts set up for the rest

2 minutes ago, mimmy52 said:

I wonder how they decide who gets evacuated first.  Women and children?  Young to old?  And I just hope everyone gets through this with the least amount of injuries.

Maybe it's as simple as who gets in line first.  Then you have to wonder who manages the line.

12 minutes ago, mimmy52 said:

Not to make light of the situation, but it is a Viking Cruise - everyone is old.  Wouldn't be any children on board since Viking does not allow them on their cruises.  

Edited by GTmom2015
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Oh My Goodness!

That water is COLD.

I assume they have survival suits????

GC

Yes, they definitely have survival suits, I believe that is mandatory on all ships of this kind? Four of the nine persons have jumped in the sea to get picked up by helicopter - the press person from the Norwegian Rescue central stated that this is the best/safest way when conditions are as bad as they are now, as the freight ship has NO power. After the first four have been picked up, they will decide how to evacuate the last five.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, matadams4u said:

Fun fact - nothing from the US State Dept and both twitter accounts for the US Embassy in Norway are inactive.  Meanwhile people trying to get info on family on twitter.

But the US Ambassador is a retired rear admiral....

Wikipedia: Kenneth John Braithwaite II is the United States Ambassador to Norway. His nomination by President Donald Trump was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on December 21, 2017 by voice vote. He has been a business executive and town councilman, and is a retired rear admiral of the United States Navy Reserve.

26 minutes ago, matadams4u said:

Fun fact - nothing from the US State Dept and both twitter accounts for the US Embassy in Norway are inactive.  Meanwhile people trying to get info on family on twitter.

From the State Department's website:  If you are concerned about a loved one overseas, please call: 

• From the U.S. & Canada  - 1-888-407-4747
  • From Overseas - +1 202-501-4444

Of course with modern communications, I'm guessing that as passengers and crew make it ashore it will be easy to reach out by phone, email, etc. to family members.  While on board, not so much. 

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

What is the vertical structure in the forefront of the photo?

We have a theory, but we aren't sure...

GC

It's a post or marker onshore or on a rock close inshore. Photo taken with a very long lens so distance is significantly foreshortened.

Is there a US government function other than the Coast Guard which looks into this kind of incident?  Perhaps the National Transportation Safety Board?

Often, the rush to pin blame on a failed part or a person overlooks the chain of errors or events which contributes to the outcome

20 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

I hope to learn more about how this occurs and hope cheng finds this thread.

Might such problems like today with the Viking Sky be due to management decisions or insufficient maintenance? Or, might it be random? I haven't the experience or knowledge to do more than ask questions. But, there seems to be a human component to such incidents and Viking has had several mechanical incidents in its short history and on its relatively new ships, this being the most severe and dangerous.

I agree I hope he find this.  He is a wealth of knowledge.

Anyway I will give this a go.  He normally comments on ships homeported out of the USA so some of this may be US specific, but I think it may be applicable world wide in various forms.

In regards to maintenance...

From an NCL propulsion issue that occurred earlier this is what I recall Chengp said an engine/generator  needs to be rebuilt every 2000 hours of operation which equats to about every 2 years.  Using his words more or less "This is like replacing the engine in your car every 2 years".  Obviously this is done on a rolling basis.

Now this is where I am getting into a gray area in regards to applicability for ships homebased out of non-USA ports

For ship to sail a syndicate has a big say if it can.  By syndicate, thnk insurance company not the Mafia.  There is a certificate that is needed.  Part of the certification is making sure that the engines/generators have gone  through this process.

I went looking for the thread, where a lot of this was covered by him, but couldn't find it.  He went in how different countries organization, International agreements cover all of this.

The first time I remember encountering him was right after the Costa Concordia sinking.  Them him, bunch of others, and me had an on-going thread that lasted until the ship was completely disassembled at a shipyard in Europe.

Since then he has been a wealth of information.  He has been particulary active in the last 6 months.  I have learned how the AC's systems work onboard ships, the actual responsitilities of the Master vs staff captains vs chief engineers among other things. 

• Like 2

Just now, Cienfuegos said:

Is there a US government function other than the Coast Guard which looks into this kind of incident?  Perhaps the National Transportation Safety Board?

Often, the rush to pin blame on a failed part or a person overlooks the chain of errors or events which contributes to the outcome

I may be misunderstanding your post(?), as I don't understand why US government would be involved in the investigation of this incident that occured in Norway with an European (Swiss?) cruise line?       

• Like 6