Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

24 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

the vast majority of cruise ships are 'diesel electric'

there are cargo ships that have 'main engines' directly connected to the propeller shafts, and some military vessels are built this was too ... but this is most uncommon on 'cruise ships'.  WHY? cruise ships need HUGE amounts of electricity for hair dryers and curling irons so it is cost effective to build huge electricity generating systems and power the ship this way.  Simplistic and sarcastic .... YES ... but also true. (and modern POD systems REQUIRE this set up)

On a modern cruise ship there are multiple 'main engines' as folks like to call them, and they are connected to generators to make electricity.  As the need for more juice goes up, they will bring another 'main' on the line to make more juice.  When the load goes down, they can shut off an engine and save fuel.  It is common for a cruise ship to have a 'main' partially disassembled and in the overhaul or repair process while operating 'normally' ... the other engines providing sufficient juice.

Many recent cruise ship incidents have been reported in the press as 'engine problems' and this is easy words for folks who don't need or want technical details.  In virtually every case the true issue was electrical .... either the distribution system or an electric motor (or associated equipment).  The recent EPIC incidents were not 'loss of an engine' but a failure of a major electrical component on the electric driver for one of the prop's (shafts).  The famous CARN incidents involved the master switchboards for routing the juice. I suspect this will turn out the same .....

What is the probability of 4 main engines all stopping at the same time?  Is there a reason it COULD happen?  YES, I can think of several ..... but professionals running the engines should NEVER let these happen ..... could there be a design flaw?  Of course ..... maybe the unusual seas made something happen they'd not seen b4.  The VIKING ships are all 'new' by cruise ship age . . .

on the other hand ... THIS incident was basically the result of a wrong valve opened, another not closed, and people who were supposed to monitor ... not monitoring

cougarace2.jpg

Capt_BJ,  Thanks for jumping in here.  I have been kind of winging it.  I forgot about your expertise and knowledge.  Please don't feel slighted about not wishing you would also find this thread.

• Like 2

My mother and youngest sister are onboard. We’ve only gotten sporadic texts because they are conserving their phone batteries. I’m thankful to have found this place, it’s really our only source of info. 

From what i last heard heard the damage to ship is fairly extensive and there are a lot of injuries, and yes, the injured get priority for evacuation. They’ve been told it will be hours. 

As you can imagine, myself, my other sister and my father are terrified. We’re a veteran cruising family and have really been shocked by all this. Thanks to all the first reponders helping them, please keep the info coming! 

• Like 20

1 minute ago, Phnxgrl said:

My mother and youngest sister are onboard. We’ve only gotten sporadic texts because they are conserving their phone batteries. I’m thankful to have found this place, it’s really our only source of info. 

From what i last heard heard the damage to ship is fairly extensive and there are a lot of injuries, and yes, the injured get priority for evacuation. They’ve been told it will be hours. 

As you can imagine, myself, my other sister and my father are terrified. We’re a veteran cruising family and have really been shocked by all this. Thanks to all the first reponders helping them, please keep the info coming! 

Praying for a safe outcome for your family, the passengers and crew of the Viking Sky and the first responders to this emergency.

• Like 1

Glad to hear from the British couple interviewed on how excellent the staff has been. That is surely a huge help.

The two 'abandon ship' disasters I've heard about, the Costa Concordia and then one in the 60s in the Caribbean where the ship caught fire, had captains that abandoned ship and left the passengers to fend for themselves. I believe in both cases -- certainly in Costa Concordia -- it led to prison sentences for the captain. And then the staff was left leaderless and ineffective in both cases. And it was kind of frightening, making me assume that if there is ever a disaster at sea it'll be every man (or woman or child) for themselves.

8 minutes ago, gatour said:

Now this is where I am getting into a gray area in regards to applicability for ships homebased out of non-USA ports

For ship to sail a syndicate has a big say if it can.  By syndicate, thnk insurance company not the Mafia.  There is a certificate that is needed.  Part of the certification is making sure that the engines/generators have gone  through this process.

Thank you gatour.

Do I understand you correctly that where a cruise line is "homebased" may affect how it approaches such maintenance? Do you know about Viking's requirements regarding these overhauls? This, to me, is analogous to why business prefer certain states (live Deleware or Nevada) in which to incorporate.

Praying for the passengers, crew, and first responders.  Sounds like Viking is handling this as well as possible.  

We will be on Viking Sea's Homelands cruise next month and I have absolutely no second thoughts of going on our cruise.  Viking is top notch and I know their crew is well trained and dedicated.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

Yikes!  That's the ship we are booked on for our Trade Routes of the Middle Ages in the fall of 2020.  I was happy because it was one of the newer ships.  Guess that doesn't mean much!

It is a beautiful ship,  you will enjoy it

Viking knows how to do it right :)

14 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

I may be misunderstanding your post(?), as I don't understand why US government would be involved in the investigation of this incident that occured in Norway with an European (Swiss?) cruise line?       

Norwegian Flagged Ship

Norwegian Waters

Investigation would be Norwegian which is among the best maritime accident investigatiors

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Capt_BJ's statement that the huge diesels generate electricity and then that electricity is routed & switched to the twin props and to the powerful side thrusters is what I was told by the Sky's Chief Engineer when I was aboard in October on the Med Odyssey cruise.  Hope the wonderful crew who served us well then stays well.
If the ship can be towed & make it under power to its next port ?Stavanger? or nearest viable port it will be much safer for passengers than being air hauled up to a copter at night in high winds.  Best wishes to all involved

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I can not imagine that they are in muster stations knee deep in water ……… they are 7 decks up I imagine. Doesn't help people with family on there though. Some people are idiots posting rubbish (i.e. on Twitter) --- shame on them.

They are not at muster stations, they have moved inside and up... I suspect that is from the broken door letting water in when the waves crash over the sides.  Some waves are 40+ feet high.  I do not think they are posting rubbish,  they are just posting their current reality.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoccerMom#3 said:

Viking is top notch and I know their crew is well trained and dedicated.  

Having watched a few of the videos from on-board and the footage from tonight, I have to say that Viking have impressed.  It can't be easy, keeping the ship steady in those seas to allow evacuation.  The crew must be as anxious as the passengers but they seem to be doing a good job of managing the situation too.

I think I read somewhere that winds are forecast to die down in the next few hours - I really hope so, so that all concerned can get off safely and quickly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Capt_BJ's statement that the huge diesels generate electricity and then that electricity is routed & switched to the twin props and to the powerful side thrusters is what I was told by the Sky's Chief Engineer when I was aboard in October on the Med Odyssey cruise.  Hope the wonderful crew who served us well then stays well.
If the ship can be towed & make it under power to its next port ?Stavanger? or nearest viable port it will be much safer for passengers than being air hauled up to a copter at night in high winds.  Best wishes to all involved

Looked like it was under it's own power and stopped and positioned for helo.  Molde is closer then Stavenger and I am also surprised they are doing night bad weather rescue. Based on the demographic of there might be a several anxiety, stress and heart evacuations.

From an article on Daily Mail:
A spokesman for Viking Cruises, which owns the ship, said the evacuation was still ongoing.
'Viking has dispatched an operational task force, including the company's owner, to Molde.
'We are working closely with the relevant authorities and all operational procedures were followed in line with international regulations.'

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Is there a US government function other than the Coast Guard which looks into this kind of incident?  Perhaps the National Transportation Safety Board?

Often, the rush to pin blame on a failed part or a person overlooks the chain of errors or events which contributes to the outcome

The US Coast Guard and NTSb will have nothing to do with any investigation.

As the Viking Sky is Norwegian registered it will be the government of Norway and their agencies together with the ship's classification society (probably DNV GL) who will conduct the investigation. The incident also occurred in Norwegian waters.

Edited by G.M.T.