Flying with duty free alcohol, how do you do it?

WisconsinFan

Hello all,

I tried the search feature, as I can't be the only one with this question, but didn't have success- lots of posts on alcohol packages though 🙂 I haven't bought duty free alcohol when flying from ports, only when driving to ports. With baggage fees being what they are we try to limit the number of checked bags. This trip we are only checking a garment bag and using carry-ons. Tell me how you keep your booze from breaking in route. This trip we are flying from PR, so I don't think the rules are different than if we were flying from FL after getting off the ship.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If you're flying from PR to the US, you won't have to go through Immigration and Customs.  The simplest way would be to buy your booze at the duty free store in the airport (after security) and carry it  onto the plane. This will work if you have a direct flight or if you have a connecting flight where you remain airside between flights.

Otherwise, you can buy padded sleeves that will fit most regular bottles. Or bring some bubble wrap to wrap the bottle with. Or do what we have done ( we often buy Mount Gay rum at an excellent price when in Barbados) - we put the bottle in a couple of plastic bags and tape them shut, then roll it up with a few shirts or trousers and place it in the middle of the suitcase with clothing padding it over, under,  and on all sides. Have never had one break yet (knock on wood).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mom says said:

If you're flying from PR to the US, you won't have to go through Immigration and Customs.  The simplest way would be to buy your booze at the duty free store in the airport (after security) and carry it  onto the plane. This will work if you have a direct flight or if you have a connecting flight where you remain airside between flights.

Otherwise, you can buy padded sleeves that will fit most regular bottles. Or bring some bubble wrap to wrap the bottle with. Or do what we have done ( we often buy Mount Gay rum at an excellent price when in Barbados) - we put the bottle in a couple of plastic bags and tape them shut, then roll it up with a few shirts or trousers and place it in the middle of the suitcase with clothing padding it over, under,  and on all sides. Have never had one break yet (knock on wood).

Yes, that is what I was figuring no way around the limit on carry on liquid and it would have to go into our one checked bag. Because I have seen how carefully bags are handled that made me nervous.

Buying in the airport just doesn't seem as special 😉 We are going to Barbados and and next year Curacao, hence my interest in this question, Mount Gay rum I agree that it might not be worth the hassle.

Not necessarily returning from a cruise....buy in the duty free which is after you've gone through security and you can carry it onto the plane with you.  Once upon a time there were great bargains on alcohol products in St Thomas.  Not so much anymore.  And as someone else has posted, for the very minimal savings, it's not worth the hassle of having to wrap and pack.  Not to mention the fact that that might cause you to have overweight luggage, which will cost more $$$$ than the minimal savings were worth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Living in the land of exorbitant alcohol taxes (here in WA, we have not one, but TWO taxes on each bottle of hard booze😱) we take advantage of 'duty-free' anywhere we can find it! We always pack our purchases in our hard-sided Samsonite (checked luggage). Usually we take bubble wrap and plastic tape with us, and surround the cushioned bottles with LOTS of dirty laundry (see -- it comes in handy for something!) Sometimes the liquor store is port will box the bottles up for you in a sturdy cardboard carrier -- which can go directly into your suitcase, with no problems. Knock wood -- we've been very lucky -- no rum-scented cruise wardrobe, to date! 😜

PS -- as someone else pointed out, a luggage scale is handy to have, so your special finds don't put you in jeopardy of excessive-weight bag fees!

Edited by wwcruisers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we used  bottle bags  & just put then in our bags  with clothes around it

so far so good

But if you buy in the duty free at the airport you carry your purchases on the plane  as long as you are not connecting it should work out

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

But if you buy in the duty free at the airport you carry your purchases on the plane  as long as you are not connecting it should work out

Wouldn't this apply even if you have a connecting flight as long as you don't need to go through security again?

8 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

Hello all,

I tried the search feature, as I can't be the only one with this question, but didn't have success- lots of posts on alcohol packages though 🙂 I haven't bought duty free alcohol when flying from ports, only when driving to ports. With baggage fees being what they are we try to limit the number of checked bags. This trip we are only checking a garment bag and using carry-ons. Tell me how you keep your booze from breaking in route. This trip we are flying from PR, so I don't think the rules are different than if we were flying from FL after getting off the ship.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Wait and buy your alcohol after you clear security in San Juan and you can carry it onto the ship. Last time we flew out of San Juan we brought 12 bottles back inside the cabin with us.

Edited by zqvol

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

we used  bottle bags  & just put then in our bags  with clothes around it

so far so good

Even if you are connecting it works fine, as long as you don't have to clear security again.l

Just now, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Wouldn't this apply even if you have a connecting flight as long as you don't need to go through security again?

You  are probably right in the USA

but it may confuse people who are flying overseas  & connect  in an airport where you do have an extra security check

We have done this in Amsterdam & even the bottle of water I bought inbetween flights  was taken

22 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Yes.  But all arriving international flights have to clear customs, unless you did it prior to boarding (pre-clearance).

PR SHOULD not be a problem.