Is this too much?

Tntt

Ok so I've been reading about what to carry in your carry on and I have some questions, I plan to put my first aid bag I made with all the  otc meds I think we might need , our toiletry bag and I wanted to pack our bathing suits, extra pair of clothes and dinner clothes. Is this too much for my carry on? I feel like this is too much for a carry on but I also feel like I'm forgetting  something . Any thoughts??

Does it all fit in the bag? Then it's not too much.  In addition to OTC meds, put your prescription meds in your carry on. Any jewellery of any value, plus your electronics  ( tablets, cameras, etc). Basically anything of value. 

1 hour ago, Tntt said:

Ok so I've been reading about what to carry in your carry on and I have some questions, I plan to put my first aid bag I made with all the  otc meds I think we might need , our toiletry bag and I wanted to pack our bathing suits, extra pair of clothes and dinner clothes. Is this too much for my carry on? I feel like this is too much for a carry on but I also feel like I'm forgetting  something . Any thoughts??

We went to Alaska in August- it was My DH, MIL and I. After multiple delays, we finally landed in Vancouver at about 3am. We did fly in the night before but we thought we would get there at about 1130 or something like that. We had booked a night in a hotel. When we landed, our Luggage was not there, they told us it was still in Toronto. My MIL had packed her carry on well, she had her PJ's, and a change of clothes (and undies) for the next morning as well as toiletries, etc. DH and I had to wear what we had on.   My MIL's luggage didn't actually get put on the original plane for some reason, we found out the next morning it was still in Rochester.  So it sucked but at least she had a change of clothes she could wash and wear the other one because her stuff didn't get to us until Tuesday afternoon (left on Saturday). So my advice...pack as much into that carry on as you can fit, LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tntt said:

Passports, Driver's Licenses, BOARDING docs, etc. 

It always feels like it's too much ... until your luggage doesn't show up.  

• Like 2

If  you fly United, you can track your bag.  It shows when checked in, on plane and then onto what carousel for pickup.  Love this feature.

As far as what we carry on plane:  meds, valuables, electronics and paperwork.  After night in hotel we repack carryon with bathing suit and sun tan lotion so we can hit the pool once on ship.  

9 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Depends if you're talking about your carry-on for the plane, or your carry-on for the ship.  

I should've clarified this is for the carryon on the ship we are driving to port 

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

I would say if it all fits then it isn't too much.  

8 hours ago, mom says said:

Does it all fit in the bag? Then it's not too much.

While it turns out OP is concerned with ship carry on and not flight carry on, I'm going to make the same point...you can put 20 bricks in a bag and it may fit, but that doesn't mean it's not too much. As someone who constantly is being asked by people on flights to help them get their carry on in to the overhead locker/bin because they packed it but couldn't lift it, please consider weight in addition to just "does it fit?"

giphy.gif

21 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

While it turns out OP is concerned with ship carry on and not flight carry on, I'm going to make the same point...you can put 20 bricks in a bag and it may fit, but that doesn't mean it's not too much. As someone who constantly is being asked by people on flights to help them get their carry on in to the overhead locker/bin because they packed it but couldn't lift it, please consider weight in addition to just "does it fit?"\

But if it's a wheeled bag (which most are "roll-on" rather than "carry-on" these days), it doesn't matter how heavy the bag is. 

But I totally agree with the "you need to be able to manage it yourself" standard, in any case.  I can see someone who is truly vertically challenged or who has a broken arm or other special circumstance having a valid need for assistance with the overhead bin, but anyone else should just pack what they are able to manage on their own when it comes to the overhead. 

I specifically purchased a roll-on bag that fits under the seat in front of me, so I don't even use the overhead bin, even though I'm physically able to put a bag up there.  As long as I'm not in a bulkhead seat, I always know I'm going to have space available under the seat... not always the case with overhead compartments!!!!

Prioritize : Perhaps in this descending order of importance :  Meds, cruise documents, iPad, bathing suit, change of underwear, other clothes, books, galoshes, ski boots, weights ...   as soon as you reach a point where it becomes too bulky/heavy, just stop adding stuff.  I usually stop part way through the other clothes category.

Your wallet, cash, passport or other ID will, of course, be on your person and not in your carry-on.

12 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

While it turns out OP is concerned with ship carry on and not flight carry on, I'm going to make the same point...you can put 20 bricks in a bag and it may fit, but that doesn't mean it's not too much. As someone who constantly is being asked by people on flights to help them get their carry on in to the overhead locker/bin because they packed it but couldn't lift it, please consider weight in addition to just "does it fit?"

giphy.gif

I can't remember too many flights where I wasn't asked to help with overhead storage.  Price I pay for being tall I guess.    

17 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

What you "carry on" will depend on how much you want to lug around with you.  Of course, anything of VALUE, and any Rx's should be in your carry-on..the rest is up to you!

I know whatever we bring on board we have to carry around with us until our rooms are ready so do most people use backpacks for carry ons or rollaway luggage?  will a small rollaway fit in the scanners at the symphony terminal?

31 minutes ago, Tntt said:

I know whatever we bring on board we have to carry around with us until our rooms are ready so do most people use backpacks for carry ons or rollaway luggage?  will a small rollaway fit in the scanners at the symphony terminal?

If it fits airport scanners it will pass through the cruise ship terminal scanner.

I feel you may be overthinking this.  You are driving to port so no airline weight restrictions.  Put as much as you want deal with in your carry-on.  As NBT says, if it fits the typical airport sized X-ray machine, you are good.  I'm honestly not sure what happens if your luggage is too large for the scanner.  For what it is worth, we have used both backpacks and carry-on sized wheelies.    Have fun!

We only do carry on now.  Our carry on bags  are both 20" rollers weighing anywhere from 7-10KG.  You should have no problem with what you describe above.

I do not think that you will have any issues.   In prior years when we checked bags we never checked anything of value, jewelry, meds, or important paperwork.  We went on the assumption that at least one of our bags would not make it or the contents might be subject to theft.

Edited by iancal

since we fly Spirit and have to pay for carryons, but don't have to pay for a personal item, we always fill 2 backpacks and 1 woven bag with the following - the things we cannot sail without:

all the meds - prescription and OTC, except for cough syrup and saline spray

1 swim suit or a pair of trunks per person

1 pair of flip flops per person

1 hat per person

all the electronics and charging cables

1 booster for the kiddo

1 jar of Lysol wipes

toothbrushes

snacks for the kiddo (which we usually don't need on the way to the cruise, but sorely need on the way back)

passports, money and sail/boarding passes go into my purse.

20181224_152934.jpg.bd2c1ff7ec6ca475d0b9864aa216332c.jpg

OP, I completely agree with your packing.

When I board I always have my medicines and outfits/items rolled into my small carry on in case my luggage never makes it to the stateroom.

I usually pack in my carry on for 10+ day cruise:

spare underwear

swimsuit

evening dress

dressy shoes/sandals

wine

medicines

straighteners

make up

My Bible

a few select tops/skirts/bottoms to go with anything

All the usual handbag items and documents for the cruise

This means I am prepared for pretty much anything should the worst happen. My large bag has always made it but you never know. Some people like to pack a swimsuit so they can get in the pool on embarkation day too.

The idea behind this, what if there is a delay/loss of luggage getting to cabin:

ALL medication

Delicate electronics

All important papers/cash

One change of clothes

There is no real need for "dinner" clothes, any dress code is lax the first night.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jlp20 said:

The idea behind this, what if there is a delay/loss of luggage getting to cabin:

ALL medication

Delicate electronics

All important papers/cash

One change of clothes

There is no real need for "dinner" clothes, any dress code is lax the first night.

For some it's not a a delay in luggage on the first day but a whole cruise/few days delay where your luggage goes walkies or is under someone else's bed. Rare but that's the thinking behind it.