20 year old and drinking

lizi116

I find it so strange that a 20 year can get married, have children, enlist in the forces  or be stationed in very dangerous war zones.    Or even die for his/her country.   Not to mention vote and run for public office.  Yet  her/she cannot get a cold beer on some cruise ships.  

It is strange for us.  Our parents served us wine when they had it at dinner since we were in our early teens. Growing up, if we were with our parents in a restaurant we were always offered some wine. 

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, iancal said:

I find it so strange that a 20 year can get married, have children, enlist in the forces  or be stationed in very dangerous war zones.    Or even die for his/her country.   Not to mention vote and run for public office.  Yet  her/she cannot get a cold beer on some cruise ships.  

It is strange for us.  Our parents served us wine when they had it at dinner since we were in our early teens. Growing up, if we were with our parents in a restaurant we were always offered some wine. 

In addition, they can drive from 16 yrs old, but must wait another 5 years before consuming a mass produced weak beer. Growing up in UK, we could have a beer from 16, if having a meal with parents in a pub.

2 hours ago, iancal said:

You can go die for your country, but you can't have a beer with your friends before doing so

On 4/15/2019 at 9:02 AM, spookwife said:

and the height requirement is never enforced.  I do have a cousin who is  literally too short to see over the bar.   she has no problems buying in port

My experience is that it is not based on being able to see over the bar, but being able to reach high enough to put the money on the bar.  Money = drink.  😄

23 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

You can go die for your country, but you can't have a beer with your friends before doing so

and now, some States are making the age limit that you can't smoke or vape.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:51 PM, klfrodo said:

and now, some States are making the age limit that you can't smoke or vape.

Municipalities too. I believe the town I live in in Kansas has set an age of 21, though statewide is still 18. At least, 21 for purchasing...not sure if you need to be 21 to actually smoke.

Edited by Zach1213

Recent research has shown that humans do not fully mature until close to age 30. That may or may not be true, but the fact remains that different activities require different skill sets.  Just being old enough to do one thing responsibly has zero relevance to doing some other things.  

On the other hand, I personally believe that it is stupid to forbid all consumption of alcohol until some magic age , and then suddenly permit it.  The “forbidden fruit” concept often triggers irresponsible drinking when suddenly permitted.  Responsible parents should be able to teach responsible consumption.

The following activities in the US are subject to different legalization ages: driving a car, voting, smoking, having a job, drinking, serving in the military, paying income taxes, etc.   does anyone seriously believe that the same age should be applied in all cases?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The following activities in the US are subject to different legalization ages: driving a car, voting, smoking, having a job, drinking, serving in the military, paying income taxes, etc.   does anyone seriously believe that the same age should be applied in all cases?

I agree it's silly to have the same age requirement for all those very different activities.

But wouldn't it be nice if they would institute a minimum IQ requirement for voting. 😉

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I agree it's silly to have the same age requirement for all those very different activities.

But wouldn't it be nice if they would institute a minimum IQ requirement for voting. 😉

A daring but enticing thought:  just consider how our government might be constituted if the selection process were not impacted by all the folk trying to “keep up with the Kardashians”, or the “Duck Dynasty” people.

53 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I know you threw a winky face in the end, but I'm still going to go ahead and address this - no, it wouldn't be nice. There are some people with very high IQs who clearly have no idea how the real world works, and people with very low IQs who should certainly have a say in how the country is run (not that the average voter really has much of a say, but it's nice to pretend).

On 4/13/2019 at 4:02 PM, klfrodo said:

If sailing from a US port, the answer is no. A 20YO cannot (legally) consume alcohol on the ship.

Can they go to the club? Maybe. Depends on the cruise line and ship policy

The 20 YO can LEGALLY drink outside of US waters, but it is against cruise line rules and policies. That would be the correct answer. There is no LAW that says they cannot

1 hour ago, RobJenn said:

The 20 YO can LEGALLY drink outside of US waters, but it is against cruise line rules and policies. That would be the correct answer. There is no LAW that says they cannot

However, with a number of cruise lines the drinking policy is 18, so they are permitted to drink once outside US waters

33 minutes ago, squick64 said:

Since OP says he's on NCL, I seem to recall that nightclubs were 18+ after 1 am. That includes the on-deck party. They shut the music off to check everyone. Of course, the drinking was still 21+.

18 - 20 year olds can drink beer and wine on NCL if a parent signs a waiver.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:19 PM, twodaywonder said:

If you look older, may not ask for proof of age. Some cruise lines. 

It is coded on the passenger card used to order the drinks.  They don't need to "card" them.

On 4/13/2019 at 3:56 PM, lizi116 said:

Can a 20 year old drink on a ship or go to a club?  We will be leaving from a US port.  

Most lines do not allow 20 year olds to drink though it is not illegal one they are outside US waters. Any one over 18 can go to the clubs.

Edited by zqvol

7 hours ago, zqvol said:

Most lines do not allow 20 year olds to drink though it is not illegal one they are outside US waters. Any one over 18 can go to the clubs.

I think it is simply defensive — if an 18 year old was permitted to drink on a ship based in the US and he caused injury (or worse) to himself or someone else due to intoxication, the line might find itself trying to defend itself in a US court. Discretion is the better part.