Would you let a ten year old have "charging" privileges?

I just completed check in for our Harmony cruise in July,  they asked if I wanted to allow my granddaughter to charge things to our shipboard account.

I dithered about around a bit, then decided to say no.  I imagine I could allow it once on board?    She is not a spendthrift (yet) but I worry if she goes to the arcade she will be😉.

Do you allow your children charging privileges?

I personally would not but only you know your granddaughter. Do they allow you to set a daily limit, like $10 a day. That would give her the opportunity to have a little freedom in charging things but would also teach her the idea of budgeting and choosing only those things that are most important. I have seen where you can purchase an arcade credit in amounts starting at $25  Once she reached that limit she would not be able to keep playing.

Edited by blueridgemama
  • Like 4

Children need supervision and direction. Having charging privileges wouldn't have been an option for our children. If you are with them this would be a non issue. If you are suggesting they would be exploring the ship alone, I would probably re-think that decision. Crime does happen on board. This is just my opinion and in no way am I telling you how to handle your granddaughter.  How does mom and dad feel about it? Have a great cruise!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I just completed check in for our Harmony cruise in July,  they asked if I wanted to allow my granddaughter to charge things to our shipboard account.

I dithered about around a bit, then decided to say no.  I imagine I could allow it once on board?    She is not a spendthrift (yet) but I worry if she goes to the arcade she will be😉.

Do you allow your children charging privileges?

It is whatever you are comfortable with....you know her best.
But other kids could take advantage of her charging privilege?

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

How about putting cash on the account? Can you spend more than in the account?

They usually let you spend up to 300 USD on shorter cruises and 500 USD on longer cruises before you have to pay anything. And you don't have to pay anything up front.

• Like 1

I like the idea of the 25$ arcade credit, makes sense.   She is "tight" with HER money, but not so with mine🤔  I wonder why!

She loves Dave and Busters , even had a birthday party there.

This Nana's only grand child (for now)😳

6 minutes ago, norhel said:

If you set up no charging privileges now, you can change it onboard.

But from what I've read, even if you have no charging privileges, the card can still be used at the arcades.

Oh no!🙄  Maybe she won't find out about that, but you know kids love to blab!

Edited by Judyrem
bad spelling.

Our kids are adults now but we always gave them a $70 limit for a 7 day cruise.  They could spend it on whatever they wanted and if there was any leftover the cash was theirs to keep.  We checked their accounts daily to make sure they weren't overspending and if they were we told them they would have less to spend the rest of the cruise.  Two of our kids spent every penny and one always collected her total amount when she got home!  We learned our lesson the hard way on our first cruise with the kids.  Our oldest became the most "popular" kid in the arcade because he was buying everyone tokens.  That was about $300, 20 years ago!

• Like 2

It really depends on the kid.

When I was a kid my parents wouldn´t have had any issues About giving me spending priviledges with a previous discussed Limit. I probably would not have spent my entire Limit or at least would have known exactly About my spendings. 

My sister otoh would not haev kept track at all and she would have gone through her entire amount the first day and more. So she wouldn´t have gotten any spending priviledges.

I don´t think there can be a universal answer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

Our kids are adults now but we always gave them a $70 limit for a 7 day cruise.  They could spend it on whatever they wanted and if there was any leftover the cash was theirs to keep.  We checked their accounts daily to make sure they weren't overspending and if they were we told them they would have less to spend the rest of the cruise.  Two of our kids spent every penny and one always collected her total amount when she got home!  We learned our lesson the hard way on our first cruise with the kids.  Our oldest became the most "popular" kid in the arcade because he was buying everyone tokens.  That was about $300, 20 years ago!

I can see my granddaughter doing that, she loves to be loved.🙄

300$ Yikes!😳   I can just imagine your reaction!

Reminds me of when my son graduated from HS and him and his buddy wanted to take a cruise. Besides paying for the cruise I let him use my cc(has same first name as me). When I got the cc statement I asked him if he bought the whole ship a drink!LOL

• Like 1

We are traveling with another family and are not always with our kids.   We want them to have charging privilege to make it easier for them to pay for misc items when they are with other adults.   Ages 10 and 12.     I know they won't spend money unwisely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ownedbypets said:

I would be like you too. I check our account numerous times each day, if I saw the kid was spending too much I would put a stop to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I like the idea of the 25$ arcade credit, makes sense.   She is "tight" with HER money, but not so with mine🤔  I wonder why!

She loves Dave and Busters , even had a birthday party there.

This Nana's only grand child (for now)😳

I would give her charging privileges and a budget.  We always looked at it as a learning experience.  Our son was allowed to charge one ice cream or virgin drink a day and anything else needed to be pre approved or it came out of his own money once we got home.  We tracked his spending on the interactive tv in the cabin.  Arcade was not a big deal to him, he only went when it was the free time through teen program.  At 10 yrs old, she isn't going to be running free anyway, but giving her the option to spend X amount each day will help her learn how to manage money.

• Like 1

We did not originally for our 9 and 11 year old; HOWEVER, this caused issues with their pre paid arcade credit working correctly so ultimately we had to give them charging privileges. You can set a daily limit for whatever amount you wish though. So in the future I will give them charging privileges with an amount we feel comfortable with. 

• Like 1

My kids always had a preset amount on their cards.  We kind of used it as a motivational tool before our cruise.  They would do chores or be rewarded for special things that they did in school and we would add money to be placed on their card.  Now that my kids are adults, I see them doing the same thing with their kids.    

• Like 1

Do you envision your 10 year old going anywhere without you where charging will be an issue? I am firmly in the camp of 10 year olds being too young to be wandering around the ship on their own, so for me charging would be a non issue.

• Like 1