Horrible Horizon Debarcation

Bribrittmom

7 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Last year we were assigned to the forward MDR to wait for FTTF to be called to debark. We went down to the lobby and they had it roped off in such a way that we couldn't walk straight to the MDR. As we were making our way there, one of the crew told us to get in the line to leave the ship. I explained that it wasn't our turn yet and we were going to our assigned area. She said not to worry about it, just go ahead and get in the debark line. We tried to follow the rules, but they insisted, so we got in line. We were ready to go anyway. My point being, she cut us in front of people who were supposed to be in that line

Same exact thing happened to me on the Liberty a couple of years ago.  In my opinion, the crew just wants everyone off the ship as quickly as possible. For that reason, they probably don’t really care what zone number one has.

Edited by blarko

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

a good point, another complicating factor in deploying a different solution.  How do they do it on Princess?

Good question. Not really sure. We always fly to cruise these days and never a rush to get off so we do self debarkation after leisurely breakfast. So we get off when we want.

• Thanks 1

people want off as soon as they can, but the point of the numbers is the order the cases are put out.

I went off once with my parents who had priority and a low number and I was a 8 or 9. I had to wait a while in the luggage area for my case to come out.

Onboard they already have the line snake around the lobby area, be easy enough to have a few staff going up and down the line confirming their number and get them out of line before the get to the end.

And a separate line altogether for those taking their own bags off.

There will always be people rushing off but it would be a simple enough change to enforce it for a more organized departure.

I have learned that disembarkation is all about Hurry Up and WAIT.

As such

and if you can afford to the best approach is

1) Proceed as normal, with a late-ish breakfast

2) chill out by the pool

3) the longer you remain on board, the longer your cruise is

4) when they're calling you by name, it's probably time to go

But if you have airports, etc to deal with -and many miles to go before you sleep

all that fluffy stuff above is out the window!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

a good point, another complicating factor in deploying a different solution.  

How do they do it on Princess?

From comments I've seen lately that should be how do they do it on Royal?

Royal Caribbean seems to have figured it out.

Ppl who cruise both lines might share their experiences?

7 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

But if you have airports, etc to deal with -and many miles to go before you sleep

I have seen people elbowing their way through because they say they have a 10:30 flight.

Why on earth would anyone book a flight that early the day you get off a cruise?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

I have learned that disembarkation is all about Hurry Up and WAIT.

As such

and if you can afford to the best approach is

1) Proceed as normal, with a late-ish breakfast

2) chill out by the pool

3) the longer you remain on board, the longer your cruise is

4) when they're calling you by name, it's probably time to go

What time does the main dining room close on disembarkation day? I'm planning to leave the cabin when it is absolutely necessary, and then head down to the MDR for a final breakfast, then disembark. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robc1972 said:

I have seen people elbowing their way through because they say they have a 10:30 flight.

Why on earth would anyone book a flight that early the day you get off a cruise?

Those flights tend to be cheaper, would be my guess. 

• Like 1

Just now, jbethel11 said:

What time does the main dining room close on disembarkation day?

I'm planning to leave the cabin when it is absolutely necessary, ===> Great minds..

and then head down to the MDR for a final breakfast,

- then disembark.  ===> Exactly. It can be done.

I keep telling my wife...

SOMEbody has to be last, but she'll have none of it! lol

You need to ask ahead of time

"When do you guys stop serving breakfast in the MDR?"
Ask the night before, as you leave after dinner is done

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

What time does the main dining room close on disembarkation day? I'm planning to leave the cabin when it is absolutely necessary, and then head down to the MDR for a final breakfast, then disembark. 

5 minutes ago, Bribrittmom said:

Today on the Horizon the main dining room stopped serving at 8:30 and the lido buffet at 9:30. You had to be out of your cabin by 8:30.

So, if I go to the main dining room at exactly 8:29, will I still be served?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

cheaper...only flight option....connection issues....another day for the dog sitter....long way to go....

Don't want to sit in an airport for eight hours waiting for the next flight......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wesorbeth said:

On our last cruise we were zone 7.  Zones 11 & 13 were called before us, they kept jumping around.  It was awful.

They call self-assist by alternating decks. They call deck 1(deck 4 on Fantasy class) then the highest cabin deck, then the next lowest deck, and then the next highest deck,etc, until they get to the middle.  They call luggage tag numbers in order.

4 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

So, if I go to the main dining room at exactly 8:29, will I still be served?

Show up at 8:20, you'll be OK.  If sleep is that precious, then leave your cabin at 9:00, get your cabin attendant upset since you're leaving 30 minutes late and then go to the buffet and get a made to order omelette.

20 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Already mentioned in another thread that he/she is under 18, was doing research on CC for his/her parents.

Thanks, yeah I am a teenaged guy, don't know why people don't get that I was joking. 

30 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Thanks, yeah I am a teenaged guy, don't know why people don't get that I was joking. 

So......which post is the truth?  The one on here that states you were joking, or the one that I just copied from another thread?

• Thanks 1